Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Tamales

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Tamales

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:26 pm

Found a new place for Tamales this weekend- We went to the Tortilla Factory/ bakery off Lagrange road ( right before Champs, next to our fave Mexican grocery ). As always, the fresh homemade tortillas were great, ( and dirt cheap) but they have a new item I wanted to share: They have housemade frozen tamales. They had packages of a dozen large tamales for only $10; they had both puerco and pollo when I was there. I think they are made at the tacqueria next door ( which also has great food). We bought a bag of of puerco just to try with our Mexican meal. After simple steaming for 30 minutes, they were great- full of shredded pork in a red sauce with a spicy kick. Yum, and quite a deal too!

Deb
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Tamales

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Found a new place for Tamales this weekend- We went to the Tortilla Factory/ bakery off Lagrange road ( right before Champs, next to our fave Mexican grocery ). As always, the fresh homemade tortillas were great, ( and dirt cheap) but they have a new item I wanted to share: They have housemade frozen tamales. They had packages of a dozen large tamales for only $10; they had both puerco and pollo when I was there. I think they are made at the tacqueria next door ( which also has great food). We bought a bag of of puerco just to try with our Mexican meal. After simple steaming for 30 minutes, they were great- full of shredded pork in a red sauce with a spicy kick. Yum, and quite a deal too!

Deb

Thanks for posting! I love good tamales. Will have to check that out.
User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Brandenburg, Ky

by TracyBasham » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:16 pm

Great! I will definitely check them out.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:29 pm

The restaurant is great. The small grocery has a ton cool vegetables and fruit and the butcher shop looks to be the cleanest I've ever seen. I've not tried anything from the bakery yet. I will certainly pick up some tamales from there.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:41 pm

We always get bunches of things at the grocery, including their excellent chorizo and other meats. ( They also have 4-5 different ethnic variations on crema now- who knew there was a difference?...). Then we walk next door to the Tortilla factory- the fresh corn tortillas are in a big white cooler in the front. Never had their pastries but they are huge and there was a line for them on Saturday.

We love all three places- I know the grocery and the tacqueria are owned by the same guy; I'm guessing the bakery is too. Note that "the restaurant" is the one next to the grocery- I think it's El Mariachi- NOT El Tarasco which is at the other end of the same strip. ( I personally don't care for that one).
Deb
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:04 pm

What kind of tortillas, corn /flour? And what is the price?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:27 pm

Becky,

They only have corn. I believe they make them for a number of the mexican restaurants in town. Not as good as handmade, but they are really good- far better than any packaged I've found in town. They sell them by the lb. I don't remember price, but the stack that I get- probably 5 inches tall of small tortillas was $1.85.

Here's the address of the center: 9901 La Grange Rd. The tacqueria is indeed El Mariachi- I looked it up. :D

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:32 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Here's the address of the center: 9901 La Grange Rd. The tacqueria is indeed El Mariachi- I looked it up. :D

Hmm, is that pretty close to Hurstbourne? That newish shopping center close to the UPS school? I don't need a passport to go to that neighborhood any more. I have a green card now! :lol:
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:45 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Becky,

They only have corn. I believe they make them for a number of the mexican restaurants in town. Not as good as handmade, but they are really good- far better than any packaged I've found in town. They sell them by the lb. I don't remember price, but the stack that I get- probably 5 inches tall of small tortillas was $1.85.

Here's the address of the center: 9901 La Grange Rd. The tacqueria is indeed El Mariachi- I looked it up. :D

Deb

Thanks for the info Deb! That does sound like a good deal. I'm sure nothing will compare to the times I'd walk down to the tortilleria and get "un kilo de tortillas" for 250 pesos. Then walk back home, open up the brown paper and proceed to separate all the tortillas....one. by. one.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:45 am

Robin,
It's very close to Hurstbourne. Shopping strip is not new though- it's across the street from the Arby's that's been closed for years. Definitely an easy trip from church.
Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:24 am

Deb Hall wrote:Shopping strip is not new though

Well, I said "newish." It's what I call a "modern" strip center, not the kind that would get preservationists up in arms if they tore it down ...
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:34 pm

Robin Garr wrote: That newish shopping center close to the UPS school?

Okay, this is not related but where the heck is the UPS school? We live very close to that area and I can honestly say I've never heard about it. I know they have the big office building on UPS drive that you see from Hurstbourne but I've never heard of the school.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:49 pm

Mark R. wrote:

Okay, this is not related but where the heck is the UPS school? We live very close to that area and I can honestly say I've never heard about it. I know they have the big office building on UPS drive that you see from Hurstbourne but I've never heard of the school.

Maybe I just don't know, Mark, but for some reason I thought that building was used for all manner of UPS training.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mark R. wrote:

Maybe I just don't know, Mark, but for some reason I thought that building was used for all manner of UPS training.

? Maybe it is, I know I have a couple of friends that work there and they are in logistics for the air group.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:19 pm

Hi, longtime lurker. I partly registered to ask -- where are the tamales?!? I went to the grocery (Supermaraco Guanajuanto?) and did not have any luck. Though tamales are on their sign, I asked a few workers and they said they didn't have any. Was there a run on them after this thread? Did I go to the right place? They would make a great lunch once the school year starts up in a few weeks. Thanks!
Next