Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Coffee is Food

no avatar
User

BrianCurl

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:11 am

Coffee is Food

by BrianCurl » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:49 am

Who has the best black coffee in town?

Who has the best latte in town?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Coffee is Food

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:13 am

BrianCurl wrote:Who has the best black coffee in town?

Who has the best latte in town?

Tough call, with heavy competition, but my vote goes to Blue Dog for both. They use Illy espresso from Northeastern Italy, and it makes a difference.

Caffe Classico, using Julius Meinl coffees from Vienna, does a great job on both coffee and espresso as well.
no avatar
User

BrianCurl

{ RANK }

Foodie

by BrianCurl » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:33 am

I'll have to try those. For locally roasted coffee the Black Cat Espresso at Quill's makes a wonderful double shot latte. I love Sunergos and Argo Bro's also. Of course, I like to source my coffee locally. So, who makes the best locally roasted black coffee and latte would be a better question I guess.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:41 am

BrianCurl wrote:So, who makes the best locally roasted black coffee and latte would be a better question I guess.

I need to get out of the neighborhood more. :mrgreen: We hang out at Heine Bros and love it as a clubhouse and community center. I also admire their commitment to free-trade coffee. But speaking from the cold heart of a critic, I don't think their coffee is the best in town. We occasionally hit up Vint on Frankfort Ave., and I think it's okay. And then there's the Blue Dog and Caffe Classico option, but again, they're not really coffee shops, and their roasting isn't done in-house.

I do hear great things about Sunergos.

Oh, yeah, and let's not forget Red Hot Roasters! I don't go there often because, frankly, I want to sit down and relax in a coffee shop, not drive through. But they do their own roasting, and they are excellent.
no avatar
User

BrianCurl

{ RANK }

Foodie

by BrianCurl » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:50 am

I like Heine Bros very much and they create a great vibe in their coffee shops. I go to their shops quite often. I wish they would open one in Fern Creek and I know they get a lot of requests for Fern Creek. Not sure if it will ever happen but we'll see.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:13 am

Robin Garr wrote:Oh, yeah, and let's not forget Red Hot Roasters! I don't go there often because, frankly, I want to sit down and relax in a coffee shop, not drive through. But they do their own roasting, and they are excellent.

RHR also sets up at Douglass Loop Farmer's Mkt, if you want a cup of joe with a little different scenery. :D
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:35 am

Sunergos and Quills.

IMO, the best place to go for espresso is Sunergos' downtown location on 5th St. Sunergos and Quills both have great coffee and skilled baristas, but the 5th St shop is staffed only by Sunergos' very most talented folks. And, in addition to their regular Sunergos Blend, they always have two single-origin espressos that rotate through regularly.
no avatar
User

BrianCurl

{ RANK }

Foodie

by BrianCurl » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:43 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Sunergos and Quills.

IMO, the best place to go for espresso is Sunergos' downtown location on 5th St. Sunergos and Quills both have great coffee and skilled baristas, but the 5th St shop is staffed only by Sunergos' very most talented folks. And, in addition to their regular Sunergos Blend, they always have two single-origin espressos that rotate through regularly.

I agree, the downtown Sunergos is very good. I don't work downtown so I pull up right in front, get it quick and get out. It's very much like a small shop I saw in NYC two years ago.

I really love Quills "Black Cat Espresso" and the small double shot latte they make with it, it is almost perfect for a local product.