Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Weekend food fail

User

Sara R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:23 am

Weekend food fail

by Sara R » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:04 am

Ever have a weekend where every meal you eat out ends up letting you down? Even places you've been to previously and enjoyed? That was the story of our weekend. I won't name names, but our 3 meals out were utter disappointments!

We decided on seafood for Friday night. I started with a shrimp cocktail appetizer and found a 3 inch black hair in my dish. Then, my salmon dish was strangely presented to me as simply a steamed piece of salmon over spinach. It was literally not seasoned at all. The dish was supposed to have been cooked in, and served with, a flavorful sauce. I informed our waitress that something must have gone wrong (she agreed, obviously) and she returned it to the kitchen. It was brought back with sauce simply poured on top. But, having not been prepared IN the sauce as is the norm for my dish, I was left with a cold, overcooked slab of plain salmon sitting in a pool of sauce. Sigh.

Saturday, we went to lunch at a place of my husband's choosing. Admittedly, not my favorite choice, but I'm easy going and can pretty much find something to eat anywhere. I ordered a sandwich that we assumed from the name and the description would have been along the lines of a Philly Cheese steak but what I was served was something very, very different. There was, maybe, 2 oz of steak on the sandwich, yet I was given 3 (!) tomato core pieces along with my diced tomato topping. I've attached a picture of the sandwich (sans tomato cores).
sandwich.jpg
sandwich.jpg (85.73 KiB) Viewed 2498 times

Finally, we tried a place for Sunday brunch we hadn't yet been to. I ordered pancakes and was served 1 properly cooked pancake and 1 burned pancake. The burned cake was strategically placed under the correctly cooked cake. I asked the waitress for a replacement because I prefer my pancakes not burned and she had the audacity to tell me that "they use sugar in the batter and it crisps up on the griddle" but that she would still ask the kitchen to replace it. So, was I served 2 different batters then? Because one pancake was just fine. By the time the second pancake arrived, we had long since finished eating and just left it. The pancakes were dense and doughy anyway. I've attached a picture of my 2 pancakes for your viewing pleasure.
cakes.jpg
cakes.jpg (72.25 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Weekend food fail

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:26 am

Yuk! I'm sorry you hit such a string of bad luck, Sara, but thanks for a well-written and informative report. :) I hope you have better luck next weekend!
User

Sara R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sara R » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:29 pm

I hope I have the chance to try again next weekend, Robin! I'm due with our first baby in about 2 and 1/2 weeks!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:59 pm

Whoa! Best wishes on a big (and happy) life change, Sara! Keep us posted!
User

Sara R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sara R » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:02 am

Sigh. Unfortunately the food failures continued this weekend. I honestly don't know if the kitchen staff doesn't notice or if they just don't care. I was served a dinner salad with at least 50% of the lettuce "on the edge" as my husband says. One piece, right on top, was rotten brown and slimy. Even if it slipped by the kitchen staff, I can't imagine how the server didn't notice when it was literally the top piece of lettuce. But, nothing was said and the salad was placed in front of me on the table as if it were nothing.

And, not to beat a dead horse, but we asked to be seated outdoors. This particular restaurant has several outdoor spaces and we wanted to enjoy the nice weather. We specifically asked if smoking was allowed and we were informed that it was NOT allowed. As we were being seated, we noticed several no smoking signs posted. However, maybe 10 feet from our table, a group of patrons had taken their drinks from the bar and were gathered there smoking. I guess TECHNICALLY, they were in the "parking lot", but still. We were close enough to hear their entire conversation and obviously smell the smoke. So, I went back inside and asked to be reseated. I said I was due to deliver in less than 2 weeks and I'm particularly sensitive to the cigarette smoke. The hostess was very apologetic, yet moved us even closer to the group of smokers!! She said where she moved us was "closer to the fans" which should help (???) Ha ha. We ended up just taking the second table and suffering through smell.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:37 pm

Sara what was the first restaurant mentioned? The one with the salmon in a pool of sauce?
I eat, therefore I am.