Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

Restaurants serving eclectic or hard to find food

by Paul S » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I'm working on another project this morning, but our totally non-scientific polls have been kind of fun as conversation starters. Got ideas for a new poll? Share them here, and we'll put them in the queue!

I was about to post this in another thread, but realized it didn't necessarily lend itself well to a poll.

Certain foods seem to only be found at a couple of spots around town; what are some go-to restaurants that carry some of your favorite hard to find foods?

Some examples:
Bubble tea--Tea Station
Crepes--Java
Sour Beer--Holy Grale
Natto--??? I haven't found this one yet outside of the Asian food store.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Restaurants serving eclectic or hard to find food

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Good one, Paul! I don't think I've seen natto at any Japanese restaurants around town, but then, to be honest, I haven't been looking. :lol:

Taking a stab, I think I might start my quest at Tokyo on Lime Kiln, which is one of the few sushi restaurants around town actually run by a Japanese itamae. It's the only place I've seen ankimo (monkfish liver, a.k.a. "foie gras of the sea"), so I imagine they have the street cred to go for natto or other off-the-wall specialty. (I think I've heard that Hiko-A-Mon also had ankimo, so they might also be worth a check.)

I've had bubble tea at the Vietnamese bakery (Coco's?) on South Side Drive, and at one point, the Chinese fast-food chopsticks place upstairs at Fourth Street Live.

Haven't seen crepes around town since Dana and Brian McMahan were making them for a while at farmers' markets.

Here's one: Durian? I've seen it for sale at Asian groceries, but not (as far as I know) on an Asian menu.

And for easy pickins, go to one-of-a-kind ethnic spots. Funmi's for Nigerian, Chez Seneba for Senegalese, Chapinlandia for Guatemalan/Salvadorean street food.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:51 pm

Crepes can be found here.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:59 pm

Steve H wrote:Crepes can be found here.

Geez! I knew that! And you didn't even need to go to a national corporate Website to find it. :P
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/vietn ... ur-sisters
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:01 pm

I get bubble tea at both NamNam and Jasmine, both of which I frequent. I seems to me I have had it at other places, too, just can't remember where exactly.

Both savory and sweet crepes are on the menu at Ghyslain.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:35 pm

I've got to go with the Mayan Cafe and that 'corn smut' stuff. I have not seen it anywhere else. Good good stuff.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:50 am

MOFONGO! ???

...I've had no luck finding it since falling in love with it in San Juan last summer. My word that stuff is good.

Gotten pretty good at making it myself, though.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:52 am

Adrian Baldwin wrote:MOFONGO! ???

...I've had no luck finding it since falling in love with it in San Juan last summer. My word that stuff is good.

I can't recall there ever being a Puerto Rican restaurant in Louisville, other than possibly that short-lived little place over in Sellersburg that had three different Latino cuisines.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:17 am

Adrian Baldwin wrote:MOFONGO! ???

I had mofongo at Seviche a few years ago.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

BrianCurl

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:11 am

by BrianCurl » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:29 am

You can find brains here, brains are hard to find:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-molcajete-louisville-3
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:31 am

Seviche frequently has mofongo! Love it! I too fell in love with it visiting San Juan.
Last edited by Gayle DeM on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:58 pm

-The bubble tea place/baker on the south side is DaLat's.
-Chinese food with mala peppercorns: Jasmine. Are there other decent Szechuan options? That's the only one I've found.
-Fried sauerkraut balls: German-American Club --are there other places that have these?
-Momos: Clay Oven
-Bombay Grille's the only place I'm aware of where you can get a proper head-sized, fully-inflated chana bhatura (had disappointing results at Little India and Dakshin on that front)
Nashville-style hot chicken: Proof on Main -- I haven't tried it, though.
That Barcode place where Maido used to be is supposed to be more like a yakitori restaurant, right? That would be new, especially if you could get some of the more exotic skewers like manta ray and chicken knees and whatnot.
Do any of the Korean places have those super-crispy Korean chicken wings? I tried the Korean wings at Mussel/Burger Bar, and they were good but not what I was hoping for.
For a while there was a taqueria at exit 180 just south of Cincinnati called Molca Salsa that had huitlacoche and squash flowers on the menu, but they took them off due to lack of demand. Made the salsa less spicy, too. Womp womp.
I guess there's really just one place for Filipino food, too... so that place for chicken adobo. Now that Karisimbi's closed there's just one caterer who does Rwandan/Burundian/Congolese food. That's all I can think of for now.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:09 am

Robin Garr wrote:Taking a stab, I think I might start my quest at Tokyo on Lime Kiln, which is one of the few sushi restaurants around town actually run by a Japanese itamae. It's the only place I've seen ankimo (monkfish liver, a.k.a. "foie gras of the sea"), so I imagine they have the street cred to go for natto or other off-the-wall specialty. (I think I've heard that Hiko-A-Mon also had ankimo, so they might also be worth a check.)

Sapporo has ankimo every so often.
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:36 am

There is an African restaurant out past Iroquois shopping center on the right. Looks like a sports bar, ..can't think of the name, that serves Mofongo. A little bit goes a long way.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:35 am

African sports bar past Iroquois Manor -- are you talking about Karisimbi/Kalisimbi? Unfortunately they had a pipe burst this winter and never reopened. I heard some new guy is planning to reopen but it won't be a Rwandan place anymore. That's sad, because as far as I can tell, Louisville really did have the only Rwandan restaurant in the country for about a year and a half.

Some other unique food items: Somali goat pilao with green sauce, then go next door for mandazi, chapati and ginger tea at the "International Mall" (Somali Mall) at 8th and York.
Next