Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

Re: Restaurants serving eclectic or hard to find food

by Adriel Gray » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:18 pm

Natto I have never seen in town outside of Asian groceries. But it would be cool. As far as Asian groceries Choi's in Lyndon is really accessible. Staff speaks English for the most part, and are super friendly.

If Barcode has yakitori then I need to go! French Indo Canada food truck used to do a mean okonomiyaki and omuraisu, two of my favorite Japanese stall foods, but no one does ramen. There was that pop-up restaurant in Milkwood once that is a shop out of Tennessee I think, that did some pretty good ramen. Wasn't there a place...Pink Door(?), where Loop 22 is now that was just ramen? t I would also love to see some place do yakisoba that was decent. I have Japanese friends who say menchi katsu, if done right is supposed to be the jam, but I've never seen it anywhere. Wiltshire on Market does really good bulgogi (Korean barbecue) that is phenomenal... O man, now I'm hungry

Itedakimasu!
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:26 pm

Shanghai soup dumplings. The only place I've seen them in town is Peking Bistro on Shelbyville road ( very good) but I'm not a big fan of their Chinese/American menu. Any other options?

I'm with Adriel- I really want a good ramen/noodle place in town.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:34 pm

Deb, they have "Shang Hai WonTon Soup" at Jasmine. Might that be the same?
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:35 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Peking Bistro on Shelbyville road ( very good) but I'm not a big fan of their Chinese/American menu.

Have you asked for their authentic menu? They have (or used to have) one, and their chef was supposedly a big name over in the old country.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:Peking Bistro on Shelbyville road ( very good) but I'm not a big fan of their Chinese/American menu.

Have you asked for their authentic menu? They have (or used to have) one, and their chef was supposedly a big name over in the old country.

Last time we were there, they had combined the menus; the last 3-4 pages of the menu were "traditional" (or similar verbiage) foods, and this was their authentic menu, while the first 4-5 pages were standard Chinese-American. Also, their specials (pictured on door when you walk in) were primarily authentic utilizing fresh ingredients.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Carla G wrote:I've got to go with the Mayan Cafe and that 'corn smut' stuff. I have not seen it anywhere else. Good good stuff.

Cuitlacoche! Yum, smut.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:18 pm

Thanks, guys. :)

Gayle- I've tried it at Jasmine ( which I like very much). Theirs is a soup , with dumplings in it. Shanghai Soup Dumplings are small steamed dumplings that actually have soup and meat or veggies in them. They make them by inserting the soup as a cold gelatin when wrapping the dumplings- steaming them renders the soup into a liquid again. The best have very thin wrappers , and you have to carefully pick them up with your chopsticks ( to avoid puncturing the wrappers) and slurp the broth out as you eat them. I love them- they are the first thing I go for in China.

I've done the authentic menu at Peking before and it's very good- but looking for additional options. :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:19 pm

Antonia L wrote:Cuitlacoche! Yum, smut.

Takes me right back to my 2007 LEO review, it does! :lol:

We like smut. It's good.
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Good one, Paul! I don't think I've seen natto at any Japanese restaurants around town, but then, to be honest, I haven't been looking. :lol:

Taking a stab, I think I might start my quest at Tokyo on Lime Kiln, which is one of the few sushi restaurants around town actually run by a Japanese itamae. It's the only place I've seen ankimo (monkfish liver, a.k.a. "foie gras of the sea"), so I imagine they have the street cred to go for natto or other off-the-wall specialty.

I meant to post this a while back, but I'm pretty sure Tokyo changed hands in June. Out first experience there was hypoimpressive.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:47 pm

Jon K wrote:hypoimpressive.

Bad news, Jon, but an awesome word. :lol:
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:38 pm

Joy Luck on Bardstown Road has soup dumplings. They are great and Alvin told us they have to be made by hand and have 21 crimps on each one or they do not cook properly.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:00 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Jon K wrote:hypoimpressive.

Bad news, Jon, but an awesome word. :lol:

Can't claim it. My old chairman used to create a neologism a day. That one just stuck. He may have been an English major. :lol:
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:46 pm

Deb Hall wrote:I'm with Adriel- I really want a good ramen/noodle place in town.

See, I'm so shocked there isn't one... It could be so cool, and ramen has so much potential. You and me Deb, we could be millionaires. My thoughts for a name are Golden Gai (very straight forward), or if we want to be funny we go with I'm-a-rock-u Ramen (like Ichiraku, get it?). :D
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:39 pm

Hiko-A-Mon does a solid (IMO) pork ramen.
I saw a variety of ramens on the menu at Barcode(whatever the address is) and I believe Asiatique has it on their new small plates menu. I have never been to Barcode or Asiatique, so I cannot personally attest to the quality.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:24 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:I'm with Adriel- I really want a good ramen/noodle place in town.

See, I'm so shocked there isn't one... It could be so cool, and ramen has so much potential. You and me Deb, we could be millionaires. My thoughts for a name are Golden Gai (very straight forward), or if we want to be funny we go with I'm-a-rock-u Ramen (like Ichiraku, get it?). :D

Yes- and we already know where to get the amazing local meat for the noodles..... :wink: :D
Previous