Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Afghan cuisine?

no avatar
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

Afghan cuisine?

by Casey J. » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:43 pm

Are there any Afghan. restaurants in Louisville?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Afghan cuisine?

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:52 pm

Casey J. wrote:Are there any Afghan. restaurants in Louisville?

Short answer: No. The only Afghan restaurant I've ever dined in was a forgettable little place on St. Marks Place in NYC. Curiously, all the people in the kitchen appeared to be Chinese.

Afghani cuisine seems to me to be close to Pakistani in style as in geography: Meats, curries, flatbreads and rice.
no avatar
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

Airplane discussion

by Casey J. » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:56 pm

I was on a plane this week and my row-mate and I were discussing cuisine. He recommended Afghan. It seems he business takes him all over the world and he said Afghan is a lot like Greek, but he likes it better.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Airplane discussion

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:01 pm

Casey J. wrote:Afghan is a lot like Greek, but he likes it better.

I'm not sure I'd describe it quite that way, Casey, but I just wish we had a local eatery we could dine at to resolve the question!
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

Afghan food

by Sonja W » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:44 pm

There was a fabulous Afghan restaurant in Chicago, the Helmand, which closed a few years ago. The food was sublime. I wouldn't compare it to Greek at all; although some ingredients were the same, the seasoning was entirely different. It was a very nice, sit-down place. To me, dining there always felt a bit magical.

I found out later that the Helmand was owned and run by the brother of Hamid Karzai!
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:10 pm

There is a web site dedicated to Afghan Restaurants http://afghanrestaurants.com/ There are four in the Mpls./St. Paul area. I have eaten at Da Afghan in Bloomington and Caravan Serai but it was a while back. I remember dining on luscious lamb at both. :D
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:35 pm

I used to frequent a wonderful Afghan restaurant in Philadelphia called Kabul. They had the best pumpkin dish on their menu.