Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

The Place Downstairs gets a do-over as Cena Italian

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:42 pm

Report from Dana on the CJ's "Dish." It seems that Chef Allan Rosenberg, who moved from Papalino's to TPD to take over from Chef Ethan Ray, has decided to re-invent the place as Cena, a casual Italian place.

Allan does good stuff, so I expect this will be great. I regret it, too, though, because Ethan was doing something much more cutting-edge and, in my opinion, making it shine. I'm only sorry that the CJ never got there, but I doubt they needed the extra publicity.

Here's Dana's story:
http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /12793097/
User

Beth Thorpe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Highlands

Re: The Place Downstairs gets a do-over as Cena Italian

by Beth Thorpe » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:50 pm

As someone who loves good Italian food and have not really found it here in Louisville- I find this pretty exciting. I really enjoyed the Place Downstairs, but I wondered if it might not be quite busy enough.
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:57 pm

I loved TPD. Sorry Chef Ethan left and they had to do this, but I'm already looking forward to trying what is in effect, a new restaurant.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
no avatar
User

Rick Moir

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:08 pm

by Rick Moir » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:34 pm

Thank you for the quick post Robin, word spreads fast around Louisville's food scene. We are happy to have another great collaboration on a new concept for our group. In the creation of TPD dishes Chef Martinez and Chef Rosenberg had a new itch that needed to be scratched. Chef Rosenberg and Chef Martinez have put a lot of thought into the new dishes we will be putting out at CENA and we are eager to serve and feed everyone. It is sad to see Chef Martinez's creative and innovative TPD menu go for it had been a dream of his since his time spent in Paris' Le Cordan Blu, but as in this business you have to keep it moving. So on to the next, we look forward to serving and feeding you all and can't wait for you all to experience CENA. So in spirit as the Italian say "Andiamo a mangiare". Translation "Let's Eat"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:06 pm

Wellll...always happy to try something new and exciting but I just haven't had my fill of "jars" yet. Both the duck and the breakfast jars were fantastic. I will miss them. :oops:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Rick Moir

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:08 pm

by Rick Moir » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:29 pm

The jars will stay, they will be under a section called Barattoli as well as several other sharing type antipastis. We are just changing direction a bit, still expect great food with a fun twist both Chef's are really excited to bring Italian style family meals to everyone.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:32 pm

Horrible news as far as I'm concerned. Getting rid of one of the more forward thinking menus in Louisville for another Italian joint just doesn't do it for me.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Rick Moir wrote:The jars will stay, they will be under a section called Barattoli as well as several other sharing type antipastis. We are just changing direction a bit, still expect great food with a fun twist both Chef's are really excited to bring Italian style family meals to everyone.

:D (except I don't care if they are 'sharing antipastis'. I . Don't. Share.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:39 pm

I have to agree with Justin on this one. I would much rather have the innovative creative menu that TPD started with instead of another Italian place. I have no doubt that the food will be marvelous but the overall concept just doesn't excite me as much.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:19 pm

After a quick chat with Fernando, I've changed my mind. This place is going to be the Italian joint that everybody wishes they were.

I should have known better. If Fernando touches it, it's gold.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:21 pm

JustinHammond wrote: If Fernando touches it, it's gold.

I think we have all noticed this. 8)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:54 am

I seriously doubt that it'll be just another Italian joint any more than MBB is just another hamburger joint.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:23 am

Thrilled.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:14 am

Lucky me, around noon yesterday I made a reservation on Open Table for my birthday dinner on August 9.

At about 7 last night I got a voicemail canceling the reservation due to renovations. Then I find this post. Major sadface. It would have only been our second time there.

Unfortunately we won't have opportunity to go for around a month surrounding that date for lack of a babysitter.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:26 am

Fernando has started posting photos of the Cena dishes on Facebook. There's not much there yet, but you can already tell that this is NOT going to be "just another Italian." :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 426&type=1
Next