Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Chris Williams

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:44 pm

Stepping out of the food truck

by Chris Williams » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:41 pm

First off a BIG thanks to Robin for allowing me to post this!!
I wanted to let the forum know about 502 cafe taking over the kitchen at Mr. G's located at 10432 Shelbyville Road. We've been selling delicious smoked foods for the better part of 2 1/2 years and have decided to step out of the truck and bring our BBQ to folks everyday from a set location (we will continue to do special events from the truck). We've added a few menu items and some daily specials that the restrictions of a food truck didn't allow us to do. We are very excited to be having our Grand Opening on July 25th at 5pm. Come out and check out our Louisville style BBQ and have a couple cocktails while you are at it ☺
Here is what will be on our menu
Apps
Atomic Buffalo Turds, Jalapenos stuffed with chorizo and cream cheese, wrapped in bacon and smoked to perfection served with sour cream $5.99

Fried Green Tomatoes, a KY classic served with Sriracha aioli 5.99

Jumbo Smoked Chicken Legs (cause everyone else does wings) 4 for $5.50

Totchos, 502 café version of nachos, Tater Tots, pulled pork, baked beans, cheese, jalapenos, and sour cream. 9.99
Sandwiches
Brisket sandwich with house made bourbon bacon jam, slow smoked for 12 hours to tender deliciousness topped with BBQ sauce and pickles 7.99,

Pulled Pork sandwich juicy slow smoked pulled pork covered with our signature BBQ sauce and pickles 6.99

Smoked Turkey Sandwich tender smoked turkey breast topped with smoked gouda and BBQ sauce 7.99

Thick cut Smoked Bologna Sandwich with American Cheese, Lettuce, tomato and BBQ Sauce (It’ll make you feel like a kid again) $5.99
All sandwiches served with chips or substitute a side for $1.00

Sides
Baked Beans loaded with pork and 3 different kinds of beans
Tater Tots w/ Chipotle Ketchup
Fried Corn on the Cob dusted with Cajun seasoning
Homemade Creamy Coleslaw
$2.25

Pies
BBQ Pizza BBQ sauce, pulled pork, red onions, jalapenos, and cheddar jack cheese
Build your own pie 12.99 for cheese $1.00 for each additional topping
Pepperoni, Sausage, Bacon, Chorizo, Banana Peppers, Jalapenos, Red Onions, Tomatoes, Black Olives

Daily Specials
]Monday – Chef’s Whim please see bartender for days offering
Tuesday- BBQ Hot Brown
Wednesday- BLFT
Thurs- 502 Burger
Fri- Sunday Baby Back Ribs
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Stepping out of the food truck

by RonnieD » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:00 pm

Chris Williams wrote:Atomic Buffalo Turds,

I was super excited about this post until I got to this. No. I will not eat anything named for poo. I get that it is an attempt to be clever, but food and feces do not mix, even in name. (we have a thread going about this already);. It's a damned shame too, because that app sounds great, but the name is off-putting.

I wish you all the luck in the world selling turds to people, but you will not get my business.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:07 pm

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:14 pm

also no.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:43 pm

RonnieD wrote:
Chris Williams wrote:Atomic Buffalo Turds,

I was super excited about this post until I got to this. No. I will not eat anything named for poo. I get that it is an attempt to be clever, but food and feces do not mix, even in name. (we have a thread going about this already);. It's a damned shame too, because that app sounds great, but the name is off-putting.

I wish you all the luck in the world selling turds to people, but you will not get my business.

I think you are being a little harsh on this one Ronnie! That name is pretty much a industry-standard for that dish. I agree that it's not the best sounding name and I really don't like the dish but you shouldn't throw restaurant out because they use that name. :roll:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Chris Williams

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:44 pm

by Chris Williams » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:42 pm

I am terribly sorry if this menu item offends anyone that truly is not my intention. Atomic Buffalo Turds are an actually thing in BBQ and if googled you will find many many different versions of it, this one is ours. I flip flopped back and forth over whether to call them Atomic Buffalo Turds or ABT's in the end I settled on what I did because it is a very popular menu item for us in both the truck and catering. Every single person who orders it wants to know what ABT stands for, this not only simplifies everything but also pays respect to what the dish is actually called. Aside from all that we are selling this at a place that serves alcohol and there are a slew of drinks and shots named all sorts of inappropriate things not only there but at most bars, it doesn't stop me from frequenting any of them and I hope that this menu item does not stop anyone from visiting us. Again I apologize for any offense and hope you will give us a try.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Chris Williams wrote:I am terribly sorry if this menu item offends anyone that truly is not my intention.

Seems fair to me, Chris! Plus, anyone who thinks this is a tasteful place has clearly not been paying attention when we have our forum burping contests. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:16 pm

Hey! You could do a happy hour special with Atomic Buffalo Turds and Bloody Menstral Marys! :mrgreen:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Maybe a spicy pita called the Flaming Vagina Monster? Or maybe a gooey caramel and cholocate desert called the Diarrhea Bomb.

If we are going to be crass and gross, let's just do it.

Maybe I am harsh, but I have no interest in eating something that the restaurant, or industry, has decided to refer to as "poop." It shows a disrespect for food and words like "turd" are not really appetizing, at least not to me.

Chris, you are fine, there is no offense, and I do wish you the best of luck, I just think calling your food "turds" is doing it a disservice and could be turning off potential patrons like myself.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:08 pm

My first impulse is to say shove it up your a** Ronnie. As a small restaurant owner it seems very small to call an upstart out with such a negative comment. You of anyone would be aware of how much sweat and blood goes on the line on taking a risk like this. Especially since the owner is overcoming some severe personal battles of his own. I have eaten his Atomic Buffalo Turds on several occasions and they are the best of the ones I have had. Instead of throwing him under the bus you should probably try them. But maybe he should go back to calling them ABT's.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Nora,

Because I understand very well, as you describe, I felt it important to let Chris know why I was turned off by his menu. If I sold a dish called the Dirty Diaper Bowl and it was turning people away from my store, I would want someone to step up and tell me. I've been through similar. I had a lady who refused to step foot inside my restaurant because we had a voodoo doll decoration on the wall. It offended her religiously. I've had people refuse to order the Voodoo Chicken for the same reason. So what do you do? You consider the feedback you are getting a decide how to proceed in the best direction for your business. Doesn't matter what is causing the negative reaction, if you don't know it's working against you, you cannot consider fixing it.

I would love to try those appetizers, but I cannot get past the name. It appears I am alone in being repulsed by describing food as "turds," but that's ok, my cross to bear. The appetizer itself sounds really, really good. It's awesome take on a jalapeño popper. Why it can't be called that instead of fecal matter I do not understand. (I do, the name is meant to be cute and clever, or maybe hardcore and edgy)

I thought I was helping by lending an opinion. Clearly this is not the case.

Robin, this has gone way off the rails from what was Chris' excited announcement and I regret it has gone that way through my misguided efforts. Would you be so kind as to send this thread to the toilet where it clearly belongs and starting a fresh thread for Chris where I will keep my nose out of it and let those with more scatalogical palates prevail.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:48 pm

I don't think it has gone off the rails, I think others have also voiced the notion that it is a common referral. And that you should just try them instead of shooting down a brick and mortar attempt that has sold really really well in his portable buisiness model. The man knows his Q'.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:51 pm

RonnieD wrote:Robin, this has gone way off the rails from what was Chris' excited announcement and I regret it has gone that way through my misguided efforts. Would you be so kind as to send this thread to the toilet where it clearly belongs and starting a fresh thread for Chris where I will keep my nose out of it and let those with more scatalogical palates prevail.

My opinion, Ronnie, it's been an ... interesting ... digression, but I don't see any fault or blame here. I think your point has been aired, on both sides, and I don't sense that Chris is offended. I hope he takes from this discussion that there is a lot of support for him and for what he's doing.

On the whole, I'd prefer not to flush a discussion unless it's a lot worse than this; and since it's Chris's topic, if he tells me (in public or in private) that he'd rather start over, I'll comply. But otherwise, let's just move forward, and look forward to trying out Chris's hot new spot. Even if some of you skip the ABTs. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:43 pm

RonnieD wrote:Maybe I am harsh, but I have no interest in eating something that the restaurant, or industry, has decided to refer to as "poop." It shows a disrespect for food and words like "turd" are not really appetizing, at least not to me.

I am totally with you on the naming issue, Ronnie. Ugh, and everything that goes along with it.

But - you just seem the slightest bit cranky to me this week, dear. I adore you and I I value your opinions. You seem like you're mad at all of us lately, though. I am determined to meet you and your lady for a hug, a beer and something good to eat soon. Call me!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:47 am

Cranky or not I agree with Ronnie. It's not a big deal, the name just crosses the line with me into " totally undesirable". My following post was meant to show that everyone has a line they don't want crossed. I don't think Ronnie was out of place in saying, "word of advice you might lose some folks over this one." It was cautionary, not nasty. With so many other options to choose from I can see some folks , like ourselves, opting for something else.

Now, having said all that, I'm willing to bet there will be a flood of LHB readers there to show support and buy FBTs . The bottom line is we all want Chris to succeed and we wish him well!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Next