Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Thai Cafe: Not Quite "Consummate," But Fun

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:16 am

Thai Cafe: Not Quite "Consummate," But Fun
Voice-Tribune review by Robin Garr

Well, hey now. What's this? A new restaurant reviewer at The Courier-Journal? How about that! This sort of thing fascinates me because I used to occupy that pulpit myself, as dining critic for the late, great Louisville Times (and, after its death, The CJ) until I left the building in 1990.

The new reviewer, Nancy Miller, visited Thai Cafe in Holiday Manor last week and gave it a glowing review and a 3 1/2 star rating, headlined, "Thai Cafe Satisfies: Dishes and service show consummate skill."

"Consummate skill"? Whoa! Really? Let's look that one up in Webster's: "Carried to the utmost extent or degree; of the highest quality; complete; perfect." This is high praise indeed, although it leaves unclear how a "perfect" eatery didn't quite merit that coveted fourth star.

Once I had seen that word "consummate," anyway, I couldn't un-see it. I've been a fan of this little Holiday Manor eatery since it opened in 1994. I'm fond of it, with its friendly owners Chavantee and Billy Snow., as a comfortable, casual, neighborhood place. But I couldn't fairly rank it in the city's top tier.

I was in the mood for Thai anyway, and I hadn't reviewed the Cafe for years. Why not follow in Ms. Miller's tracks and see whether I thought it was "consummate," too?

Read my full review on LouisvilleHotBytes.com:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/thai- ... te-but-fun
and in the Voice-Tribune:
http://www.voice-tribune.com/life-style ... e-but-fun/

Thai Cafe Restaurant
2226 Holiday Manor Shopping Center
425-4815
http://thaicafelouisvilleky.com
Robin Garr's rating: 85 points
User

Don Wagaman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Thai Cafe: Not Quite "Consummate," But Fun

by Don Wagaman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:00 pm

A CONSUMATE Thai restaurant DOES not use 'imitation crab"... :roll:
Attachments
crab.jpg
crab.jpg (53.67 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
gastrobubba

I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage. - Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Thai Cafe: Not Quite "Consummate," But Fun

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:10 pm

Don Wagaman wrote:A CONSUMATE Thai restaurant DOES not use 'imitation crab"... :roll:

Probably true, Don, although I'll offer a slight argument defense. Surimi is widely used in Asian cooking as a seafood alternative in its own right. It becomes a real issue for me when restaurants lie and claim they're serving real crab when in fact they are selling processed pollock. :P In the case of Thai Cafe, they are up-front about what it is. Gotta give 'em partial credit for that.

But, as you say, probably not "consummate."