Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Yes, we're doing a little work ...

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:24 am

Things may look funky for a while this morning, but don't worry. If this thing works, it's going to be awesome. 8)
User

Allen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Valley Station, Kentucky

Re: Yes, we're doing a little work ...

by Allen P » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:32 pm

I know what you are doing ;-)

I am a web developer if you need help just ask anytime on me.

Allen
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Allen P wrote:I know what you are doing ;-)

I am a web developer if you need help just ask anytime on me.

Facebook login to PhpBB forum using a modified theme. ;)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:44 pm

Well, it turns out that to get what we want (Facebook login as an optional alternative for forum registration), we have to upgrade the version of PHP on our server first. This means that we're stuck with the funky [ POST_A] and [ SUBJECT ] and other code-ish looking stuff scattered here and there. Everything is functional, it just looks a little like a construction zone. I hope everyone is okay with that. We're hoping the ultimate payoff will be well worth it.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:23 pm

Robin Garr wrote: This means that we're stuck with the funky [ POST_A] and [ SUBJECT ] and other code-ish looking stuff scattered here and there. Everything is functional, it just looks a little like a construction zone.

Heck, the rest of Louisville is like a construction zone so this website might just as well too!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:06 pm

How dare you, Robin. As much as I am paying for the use of this forum, I simply cannot accept these kinds of delays and this shoddy workmanship.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go salt my locally sourced steak and drink a craft beer while mourning the lack of a Kosher Deli even as I open three new pizza restaurants, some with errant punctuation... (If I have time, I'm going to smoke in public...) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:19 pm

RonnieD wrote:Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go salt my locally sourced steak and drink a craft beer while mourning the lack of a Kosher Deli even as I open three new pizza restaurants, some with errant punctuation... (If I have time, I'm going to smoke in public...)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
User

Allen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Valley Station, Kentucky

by Allen P » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:01 pm

Robin,

Facebook also requires HTTPS: (SSL encryption)

I am developing southwest louisville online...

http://sw-louisville.net

you can log in with Facebook, linked in, and google +

Give it a try... it's very integrated with FB.

Allen
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:54 am

RonnieD wrote:How dare you, Robin. As much as I am paying for the use of this forum, I simply cannot accept these kinds of delays and this shoddy workmanship.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go salt my locally sourced steak and drink a craft beer while mourning the lack of a Kosher Deli even as I open three new pizza restaurants, some with errant punctuation... (If I have time, I'm going to smoke in public...) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am -
Drinking coffee
Giggleing :lol:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:50 am

Can I keep my current login if I want it, or will it be another Obamacare you-can-keep-your-doctor situation? :mrgreen:

Maybe I'm weird, but I hate logging in to non-Facebook sites with my Facebook account. I've made my peace with the reality that privacy is a fiction these days, but I still try to keep things un-integrated and distributed as much as possible.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:35 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Can I keep my current login if I want it, or will it be another Obamacare you-can-keep-your-doctor situation? :mrgreen:

Maybe I'm weird, but I hate logging in to non-Facebook sites with my Facebook account. I've made my peace with the reality that privacy is a fiction these days, but I still try to keep things un-integrated and distributed as much as possible.

Facebook log-in certainly won't be required! We'll continue with regular registration as usual. But it can be a short cut ... and, as a practical matter, also enhance our community by encouraging participation through facebook.
User

Allen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Valley Station, Kentucky

by Allen P » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:35 pm

FaceBook integration would bring new people in and it will be a great tool... however as it is now after x amount of posts you can't see the next group of posts... the template is broken. Very frustrating as there was a nice conversation I was following and now I can 't read all the replies.

Anyhow I'm sure it won't be long before we get it fixed until then please pas the salt... the big shaker please.

Allen
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:25 pm

At first I thought it was me....but I'm pretty sure this is happening.

On the LOOKING FOR ITALIAN thread....Lonnie posted going to Adrienne's. I read that post yesterday. Then I just noticed on the main forum that there was a new reply by Robin. So I clicked on PAGE 1 , thinking maybe there are other replies after Lonnie's before they go on PAGE 2. Last one there is Lonnie's, but there is no indicator to go to PAGE 2. It says total 16 posts....and that's about it on the bottom. Soooo, I go back to the main page, see PAGE 2, click on that, then I see Robin's reply to Lonnie.

Clear as mud?

Oh and I'm on an evil ipad.
no avatar
User

Becky M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:02 pm

the other side of the river.....

by Becky M » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:30 pm

Oh and this is on all threads.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:43 pm

Becky M wrote:Oh and this is on all threads.

Becky, that is the WORST bug. I hate it! The best I can say is that we are stuck for a couple of days. We found out that for the software upgrade to work, we have to move the forum onto a larger "server" with a more modern version of PHP. If that sounds like Greek, let's just put it this way: The forum is in the shop getting some maintenance work done, and it won't run right until we're finished. I HOPE HOPE HOPE that they get the move done over the weekend, and then that the finishing touches will be easy.

Until then, it's frustrating. You can try fooling around with some of the little buttons down at the bottom of the thread ... I'm not sure what I did, but once I was able to get it to display all messages on both pages of a discussion, but I'm not sure how I did that.

Or be patient and HOPE we have it all fixed up by Monday. :)
Next