Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Business First blurb on Corbett's An American Place

by TP Lowe » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:19 pm

User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:30 pm

I was in there briefly tonight to witness the hullabaloo of them getting stuff done to get open.

It's beautiful. Insanely beautiful. Now I just have to get in there for dinner.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Garden

by Heather Y » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:43 pm

I understand that they have their own" garden" in the kitchen for herbs etc.
That has got to be the coolest kitchen anywhere!!!

They make everything possible from scratch!!!!!

It will be something to be experienced!

Big dollars spent on that kitchen, big dollars!
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:03 pm

"An American Place" is a part of the name I had not heard before. Larry Forgione used to have a restaurant of the same name in Manhattan. Now it is located in St. Louis I believe.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

"An American Place?"

by James Natsis » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:34 pm

With all due respect to Chef Deano, and I do enjoy his shows on Secrets of Louisville Chefs, what does it mean to be "an American place?" Is there a culinary connotation to this term? Does it have anything to do with the type of food to expect? I'm sure the food will be excellent, but the term "an American place" confuses me. Aren't McDonalds and Cracker Barrel American places?
James J. Natsis
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:48 pm

I think it makes a statement. There is very much a movement in this country to define a cuisine that is American. If you look at places like Craft, Country, Prune, Blue Hill, and Gramercy Tavern in NYC, you see a style of cuisine that is not slavishly dependent on French, Italian or Asian influences.

Larry Forgione was one of the first to really push this concept when he was at the River Cafe in Brooklyn, and then with his own "An American Place" on 5th Avenue in Manhattan. I think places like Zuni Cafe in San Francisco, The Inn at Little Washington, Charlie Trotters, the Lark Creek Inn under Brad Ogden, and even Chez Panisse under Alice Waters and Jeremiah Tower. I also think that this is along the lines of the cuisine that Gerhardt and Cunha offer at Limestone.

I am really excited about this place opening in Louisville. I foresee a lot of national attention and accolades.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:54 pm

Let me get this straight. One of the leaders of defining an American cuisine is Chez Panisse?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:59 pm

Charles W. wrote:Let me get this straight. One of the leaders of defining an American cuisine is Chez Panisse?

I know it sounds funny when you put it that way, but I think it's fair to say that the name Chez Panisse is the most French aspect of Alice's restaurant.

When she opened the place, the notion of bringing a French culinary sensibility to an American restaurant was novel ... but Panisse is most assuredly a California eatery, not a French one.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:04 pm

Wait till you step into my little French bistro named: Billy Bob's BBQ and Crepes
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:14 pm

Charles W. wrote:Wait till you step into my little French bistro named: Billy Bob's BBQ and Crepes

:lol:
no avatar
User

Fernando Martinez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:53 pm

by Fernando Martinez » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:27 pm

Chicken with sauce supreme that's part of my final test next week here at Le Cordon Blue, cool.Good luck Deano and Kris. Can wait to try the food. Saludos Fernando
Last edited by Fernando Martinez on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:39 pm

Charles W. wrote:Let me get this straight. One of the leaders of defining an American cuisine is Chez Panisse?

No, it's Alice Waters. Chez Panisse is the name of her restaurant. Have you dined there? What do you know about Alice Waters? Did you know that she is credited with being the founder of "California Cuisine"? I think she has had a major role in the development of a true "American" style of cooking.

As for Billy Bob's Bistro, it's no joke. Last time I checked, P.F. Chang's China Bistro wasn't serving steak frites, escargot, pot au feu, or poulet bresse avec pomme de terres.
no avatar
User

Fernando Martinez

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Fernando Martinez » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:13 pm

What about Canette Rotie aux Navet, or Troncons de Colins Poche sauce Hollandaise, or Filet de Barbue Duglere. Ron 5 weeks ago I probably had not idea of what you were talking about but I have cooked more that 100 French dishes in the last 5 weeks that I'm actually craving some Cuban food right now or anything else actually.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:14 pm

Fernando Martinez wrote:What about Canette Rotie aux Navet, or Troncons de Colins Poche, sauce Hollandaise, or Filet de Barbue Duglere. Ron 5 weeks ago I probably had not idea of what you were talking about but I have cooked more that 100 French dishes in the last 5 weeks that I'm actually craving some Cuban food right now or anything else actually.

Chef, I am so envious of your trip, but I know the feeling. I spent two weeks in France last spring, and one night toward the end of our trip, my wife and I broke down and ate pizza for dinner. We just couldn't do another French meal.
no avatar
User

Fernando Martinez

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Fernando Martinez » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:17 pm

French food is delicios but I don't know if I can take more cream or butter for to much longer. That is why my friends from school and I are going for sushi tonight.
Next