Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

Let's just agree it's a problem

by Gary Z » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:45 am

http://news.distractify.com/culture/cra ... urant/?v=1

I know it's not real science but I couldn't stop agreeing.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

Re: Let's just agree it's a problem

by Steve H » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:06 am

In for the win!
:lol:

I already started a thread about this.
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:35 pm

Steve H wrote:In for the win!
:lol:

I already started a thread about this.

Dammit. I missed that. Oh well, feel free to delete this thread Robin.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:05 pm

Gary Z wrote:Dammit. I missed that. Oh well, feel free to delete this thread Robin.

No worries, Gary. I appreciate you guys posting interesting stuff. Better twice than to miss a good discussion. :mrgreen:

I'll leave this up long enough for you to see this reply, then sink the topic.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:39 pm

Eh, leave it up. Folks can reply here or in the other thread. It's all the same to me.
:mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:04 pm

Steve H wrote:Eh, leave it up. Folks can reply here or in the other thread. It's all the same to me.
:mrgreen:

Works for me! No reason why we should start acting organized at this late date. :lol:
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:37 pm

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:30 pm

Times are changing. I am guilty of this as well. I try to take my lunch later so I can enjoy the time away from the office. I try to be considerate. We don't use phones or other electronic devices when our family goes out. Good article none the less.
no avatar
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Doug W » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:39 am

While it may not be scientific, this seems very real to me. I know that I can be guilty of it as well. My daughter is great about getting us to stack our phones right after we sit down when the family goes out for dinner. I'm trying to do that more often during work as well.

Regards,

Doug
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:49 am

Gary Z wrote:http://news.distractify.com/culture/craigslist-surveillance-restaurant/?v=1

I have never seen anyone ask a waiter to take a picture of the group in a normal dining scenario.

I call BS on that being common.

And over half the people took a picture of their food? Once again, BS. Or they should make their restaurant less of a douche-magnet.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:23 am

For what it's worth, folks, it is beginning to look as if this is an urban legend, one of those made-up stories that everyone believes because it "sounds right." :lol:

First, the original story on Craigslist has been removed for moderation:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html

The OP here took the story direct from the now-gone Craigslist post, and without shooting the messenger, it was on Distractify, a noted "clickbait" site sort of the online equivalent of the old Weekly World News.

As a result of all this plus a close analysis, the gang over at the WineLovers Discussion Group forum, discussing this same topic, has pretty much called BS on it.
http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/vil ... 78#p422194

Nice story, but apparently made up. Yes, smartphones are kind of addictive. Why wouldn't they be? They're like an extension of your brain that wires you directly in the group mind and can pretty much answer any question you have except for "What is the meaning of life?" And kitten videos, too! :lol:
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:41 am

Rob Coffey wrote:
Gary Z wrote:http://news.distractify.com/culture/craigslist-surveillance-restaurant/?v=1

I have never seen anyone ask a waiter to take a picture of the group in a normal dining scenario.

I call BS on that being common.

And over half the people took a picture of their food? Once again, BS. Or they should make their restaurant less of a douche-magnet.

Call BS all you want. If I make it through a shift without someone asking me to take a picture of them it is a rare day.

And Robin... like you said... the story rings true even if it's not. Especially when you add in the part about people not liking where they are being seated and then moving. Another increasingly prevalent problem.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:13 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
As a result of all this plus a close analysis, the gang over at the WineLovers Discussion Group forum, discussing this same topic, has pretty much called BS on it.

Huh, I called that from one read thru. The numbers just made no sense. I may not know much about human behavior but I can spot when the numbers are wrong.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Gary Z wrote: Especially when you add in the part about people not liking where they are being seated and then moving. Another increasingly prevalent problem.

Is that a problem? If the table is open, does it matter? (I realize balancing out servers, but there should be a way to adjust that on the fly)

On a related issue that comes up, I was at a bank today at 3:50 and one of the tellers starts counting her drawer. THERE IS A LINE OF CUSTOMERS, YOU CAN WAIT UNTIL 4:01 TO START THAT. Same for kitchens, if your advertised hours are until 10, then coming in at 9:55 shouldnt be an issue.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:Same for kitchens, if your advertised hours are until 10, then coming in at 9:55 shouldnt be an issue.

I think both for banks and kitchens, every individual has his or her own sense of the fuzzy line where entitlement meets graciousness. 8)
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gary Z » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Rob Coffey wrote:Same for kitchens, if your advertised hours are until 10, then coming in at 9:55 shouldnt be an issue.

I think both for banks and kitchens, every individual has his or her own sense of the fuzzy line where entitlement meets graciousness. 8)

As the years go by graciousness is left at the door at a rapidly increasing rate.
Next