Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Let's just agree it's a problem

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:51 pm

Marsha L. wrote:I dunno - my bank has Saturday hours now and stays open until 5:30 weekdays. Where are you banking?

For a long time, banking hours (and almost everything else) were highly regulated. I think a lot of bankers just like keeping "banker's hours" (why else would they call it that!?) and kept on keeping on.

Plus, although we may feel that banking is a consumer service, most of their bucks come through business-to-business, so extending hours would involve a significant cost for a relatively small portion of their revenue.

Or that's my theory, anyway, and I'm sticking to it until someone smarter comes along. :oops:
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:19 pm

You are right, Robin. Retail banking is the lowest of the low, profit-wise. But! Restaurants and other cash-ly businesses have to come physically to the bank, for bills and coins. Otherwise almost everything else could be done online or through the ATM drive-through. But we need those ones and those quarters. My guess is, it's restaurants and strip clubs and bars that keep the banks open on Saturdays.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:50 pm

Marsha L. wrote:I dunno - my bank has Saturday hours now and stays open until 5:30 weekdays. Where are you banking?

Some branches have Saturday/late hours, but not all. Like if most Krogers closed at 4, but a few had later hours.

Ive just always found it weird that they closed at 4. Even though I think Robin nailed it, Ive always thought businesses would prefer to bank after THEIR closing, not during their working day, so even they would prefer banks to be open at different hours. Years ago I made the joke that "banking hours" should be something like 6 to 9 AM and 4 to 7 PM, with maybe another hour or two at lunchtime. :D
Previous