Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Salt on the table?

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:06 am

Antonia L wrote:To Robin's point about being surprised at the positive reviews of Bistro 1860, I'll add one more positive to the pile. I've loved everything I've had there. I also really appreciate how they have different sizes of everything. It suits how I like to eat to a tee.

Noted and appreciated, Antonia. Follow-up question: Did you eat there early on, during the first couple of months? I remember being particularly PO'ed that they were wasting the amazing Cruvinet by filling it with everyday labels and abandoning the "tasting pour" option. Len's wine-geek presence was truly missed. But neither the food nor the service really impressed us (or a visiting wine-geek friend). I'd be curious to know whether they got better, or if I just hit them with a bad attitude on an off night. Either way, I've heard enough to convince me that another check-in is overdue.
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:04 pm

No, I did not go early on. Our last visit was late last year. It's one of those places I "just have to get back to." Living in the Highlands in the spring/summer makes it hard to venture anywhere past walking distance. Not that there aren't tons of other places I love in town, but on a summer evening after work, it's nice to know that the calories taken in at dinner will be at least partially worked off with the walk to and from the joint.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote: I've heard enough to convince me that another check-in is overdue.

You really should.

Ask for a tasting. It's not on the menu because they simply can't polish that many glasses. There's no place to put them and polishing all of them really slows down service.

:wink:

The truth is they'll do most anything for their guests- from the kitchen to the floor staff. That's why I am proud to be a part of their team.

They take care of their people- it's pretty much the same staff that was there when I hired on over a year ago. They all are just as enthusiastic as they were day-one. Just more seasoned now.

The '15 minute drink' makes me sad. There is admittedly a push between 7:30 and 8:00 that stresses the bar, but we work our hind-ends off to get those drinks out (I wasn't there, but wish I was.)

The salt issue doesn't matter to me. We keep the good finishing salt, ready to go in the server station for guests. A two-bite checkback should happen and if you like more salt it should happen with the urgency of an overcooked steak.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:16 pm

Antonia L wrote:... nice to know that the calories taken in at dinner will be at least partially worked off with the walk to and from the joint.

Exactly our philosophy regarding Crescent Hill and the Frankfort Avenue Comfy Cow! :mrgreen:
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:14 pm

Stephen D wrote:Ask for a tasting. It's not on the menu because they simply can't polish that many glasses. There's no place to put them and polishing all of them really slows down service.

:wink:

The truth is they'll do most anything for their guests- from the kitchen to the floor staff. That's why I am proud to be a part of their team.

They take care of their people- it's pretty much the same staff that was there when I hired on over a year ago. They all are just as enthusiastic as they were day-one. Just more seasoned now.

The '15 minute drink' makes me sad. There is admittedly a push between 7:30 and 8:00 that stresses the bar, but we work our hind-ends off to get those drinks out (I wasn't there, but wish I was.)

The salt issue doesn't matter to me. We keep the good finishing salt, ready to go in the server station for guests. A two-bite checkback should happen and if you like more salt it should happen with the urgency of an overcooked steak.

That's all really good to know ( including the salt part), Stephen. :-)
I will admit I'd lost track of where you are now ( which is always a plus in our book). Are you at Bistro 1860 on a regular schedule?- we'd love to see you and we haven't been in yet.
:D
Deb
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:40 am

I'll be there next Saturday night.

I teach Bartenders throughout the week and on Saturdays- well, I get to do what I truly love- taking care of folks.
Previous