Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Salt on the table?

no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Salt on the table?

by Carla G » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:02 am

If there is no salt on the table I certainly don't mind asking for it. What bugs me is all the other junk on the table. Not usually in fine dining but in mid tier dining there's the menu, then the dessert menu, then a drink menu then the week's specials plus the salt /pepper/assorted condiments. There's barely any room for your meal and drink.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:43 am

It seems to me that salt and pepper shakers are much less likely to be placed on the tables at upscale, "chef-driven" restaurants, where, yes, the assumption is that the chef has seasoned the dish to achieve the flavor profile that he or she is shooting for.

My wife likes salt, though, and often wants to add a little. (Curiously, her blood pressure is perfectly normal without meds. :lol:) We have never had any problem getting a salt shaker upon request.

I guess that's what I can't figure out about this discussion: I could see a mega-rant if someone wanted a salt shaker and was denied one - or even just shamed - after asking. But it does seem a little bit like a #FirstWorldProblem ...
no avatar
User

Patty Marguet

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:49 am

louisville, kentucky

by Patty Marguet » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:03 am

we don't eat out often, but when we do it is my expectation is that my dish will be properly seasoned, and that other guests should request low sodium if they prefer. i have sent back a plate that was under salted, and i have also sent back a plate that was over salted.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:06 am

Yes! I don't understand this trend- we all know that everyone's palate is different. What tastes perfect to the Chef may not be to my palate. I'm really tired if having to ask for salt and waiting 5-10 minutes for the busy server to bring it ( as my food cools) and feeling vaguely embarrassed to be messing with the Chef's perfect dish.
Deb
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:56 am

Jay M. wrote:
Doug Davis wrote:...So what are your feelings on restaurants salting food or at least providing salt on the tables?

People (including chefs) have different tastes and sensitivity to salt. If there was no salt on the table and I wanted salt, I would have said to the server "Please bring us some salt". That's 5 words. Your post is 236 words. Life's short. Move on.

Jay,

I end up asking for salt relatively frequently, which at a busy restaurant typically results in a wait of 5-10 minutes ( while my food cools), while the server gets me salt. This is a major annoyance at some places, so I'd much rather have them have it on the table.
Deb
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:59 am

Kim H wrote:I haven't encountered this issue at a restaurant, but I have at my mother-in-law's. My sis-in-law does most of the cooking these days, and doesn't believe in salt. Her food would be so much better with some salt and ground pepper, but she adds little, if any, and they NEVER put it out on the table. I'm afraid of insulting the cooks by asking, except for corn on the cob (twice in a bunch if years). When it's a 'guest' scenario, how do you recommend handling this situation? I consider my in-laws pretty formal/old-school, or it wouldn't be a big deal to simply ask. Uncomfortable.

Kim,

I ask for salt. Usually with a gentle disclaimer like: Sorry, I'm a really bad salt person- could you tell me where the salt shaker is? That way you're not implying their food is tasteless... :wink: :) At my sister's, I know where she keeps it and just get it myself- so she doesn't have to do it.
Deb
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:02 am

Robin Garr wrote: (Curiously, her blood pressure is perfectly normal without meds. :lol:)

This isnt a surprise. The more recent research shows that while high salt diets are bad for people with high blood pressure (and some other diseases), it isnt a problem for those with normal. If anything, for everyone else, too little salt is a bigger health problem than too much.

Basically, as I understand it, salt is bad for people with HBP, but it isnt the cause of it.

But Im not a doctor I only play one on the internet.
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:21 am

Robin Garr wrote:I guess that's what I can't figure out about this discussion: I could see a mega-rant if someone wanted a salt shaker and was denied one - or even just shamed - after asking. But it does seem a little bit like a #FirstWorldProblem ...

It was more a rant of their food being bland at one of the more expensive restaurants in town. Hell Ive dropped $150 on a meal for just myself at Jeff Ruby's before, but $160 is definitely more than my wife and I normally spend on dinner.

As I said though, had salt been available it might have saved my view of the dinner and meal.

Secondly, given the fact drinks were taking 15 mins+ there is no telling how long a salt shaker might have taken.

Lastly, we are debating dining on this website. This whole website is about #firstworldproblems LOL :lol:
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:25 am

Doug Davis wrote:Lastly, we are debating dining on this website. This whole website is about #firstworldproblems LOL :lol:

Good point! 8)
no avatar
User

Allen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Valley Station, Kentucky

by Allen P » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:52 am

I have a lot of elderly family with dietary restrictions. I appreciate that a lot of places we eat do dial back the salt. But I also think that we should have the option to season or food to our taste.

If a chef gets offended that I salted his cooking, after I first taste it, I apologize. But I do have issues with someone grabbing the salt shaker without tasting the food first. I think it is rude just to grab and salt without tasting.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:12 pm

I think Doug is on to something. This is more about the restaurant in question improperly seasoning the dish OR serving a dish that Doug did not like the seasoning on. No need to whip out the salt shaker, unless Doug asked for it.

If a dish comes out over/under-seasoned, you can infer one of two things: the chef intended the dish to be seasoned that way OR the whomever prepared the dish failed to season it properly. Either way, you are free to like/dislike it and that's ok. In a restaurant that is doing its job properly, 90% of the time a dish should come out exactly as the chef intended. Again, ok to like or dislike as you see fit. And if you simply must adjust the chef's work, I think you should absolutely have the option, and you should also bear the silent, haughty derision of those that serve you. :lol:

Listen, this is the one area in which I am very uppity, can I get an allowance?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Kristina J Addington

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:13 am

Old Louisville

by Kristina J Addington » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:20 pm

I like the idea of NOT having salt on the table. The lack of salt shakers would make me assume the chef/restaurant is extremely confident in their ability to put forth exceptional food.

I don't even own salt shakers at home (besides empty ones for decor). That being said, I would not be offended if someone asked for salt. You shouldn't feel guilty for requesting it... or angry that you need to for that matter. Some people have weaker taste buds for health reasons, or eating a boatload of processed food. Or maybe the dish was poorly seasoned and bland. Regardless, not a big deal to request it, whatever the reason.
Chef Kristina J. Addington
http://www.VeganTemptress.com
First Vegan Chef to win Food Network's Cutthroat Kitchen
no avatar
User

Kristina J Addington

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:13 am

Old Louisville

by Kristina J Addington » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:25 pm

Allen P wrote:But I do have issues with someone grabbing the salt shaker without tasting the food first. I think it is rude just to grab and salt without tasting.

Ditto to this, big time. Huge pet peeve. I've heard Henry Ford would take prospective employees out to lunch for interviews, and wouldn't hire them if they salted their food before tasting it.
Chef Kristina J. Addington
http://www.VeganTemptress.com
First Vegan Chef to win Food Network's Cutthroat Kitchen
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:01 pm

I agree with the salting before tasting thing; I taste before requesting salt. But it's exactly this that causes my peeve about not putting salt on the tables- if I wait to request salt until after I've tasted my food, I'm invariably left for 5-10 mins or more, getting the server's eye to request salt and then having them bring it while they are busy. I prefer there to be salt on the table, so I don't have to eat cooling food or be left waiting. In my opinion, a fine restaurant should have fine salt and pepper on the table, and I appreciate those who anticipate my request.

Kristina- noticed your signature. Best of luck on Cutthroat Kitchen! So glad to have a local representing us. :) Welcome to the Forum!

Deb
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:19 pm

Deb Hall wrote:if I wait to request salt until after I've tasted my food, I'm invariably left for 5-10 mins or more, getting the server's eye to request salt and then having them bring it while they are busy.

Deb

We call this inadequate service and it is unacceptable. In fine dining you should see your server within 5 minutes of tasting the food and any requests should be honored immediately. The better places will have server assistants (usually the person who comes around with that awesome little crumb removal thingy) who can check on you sooner than the server his/herself. I think fine dining standards have become a bit too lax of late. Southern hospitality is all well and good, but prompt service is not an acceptable sacrifice for feeling cozy. You can have both. Standards for servers could use a good kick in the pants.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
PreviousNext