Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:37 pm

So. Indiana

steakhouse on Shelbyville Road????

by Steve Kluesner » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:08 pm

Years ago we went to a steakhouse on Shelbyville Road. I have since forgotten the name. Looking for some help in remembering this place. Going East on Shelbyville Road from 264, it would have been on the left hand side of the road ....any ideas on what the name is???
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: steakhouse on Shelbyville Road????

by Mark R. » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:05 pm

It was probably the Fifth Quarter which was where Zs salon is now just before you get to Hurstbourne Parkway. They had a 2nd location that you could see from 264 just before you got to 65. They had some really good Prime Rib and Steaks As Well as a large salad bar.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:16 pm

There was also a place we liked a lot called Garrett's just east of Hurstbourne at 9601 S'ville Rd., operated I think from 1993 - 2005.
no avatar
User

Steve Kluesner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:37 pm

So. Indiana

by Steve Kluesner » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:23 pm

Garrett's was the place. It was around 200-2002 when we went. Went twice....really liked it.....sorry to hear it is closed.
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:27 pm

Long before that it was an old Columbia Steakhouse. Cork and Cleaver was on down Shelbyville Rd just past Moser Rd on the right.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:24 pm

Steve Kluesner wrote:Garrett's was the place. It was around 200-2002 when we went. Went twice....really liked it.....sorry to hear it is closed.

If I'm not mistaken, the folks who run the Village Anchor Pub and Roost are going to put a new eatery into that space. Given their track record, it ought to be good!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:38 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:There was also a place we liked a lot called Garrett's just east of Hurstbourne at 9601 S'ville Rd., operated I think from 1993 - 2005.

They did pretty good until they tried to expand by opening the place over on Lime Kiln Road than from what I heard they got in financial trouble. They always had great food, the double bone applewood smoked pork chop was hard to pass up!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:01 am

Mark R. wrote:They always had great food, the double bone applewood smoked pork chop was hard to pass up!

I also thought they had some of the best baked potatoes I ever had, the potato equivalent of cotton candy - melt in your mouth fluffy!
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:02 am

I'd like to chime in on the fluffy baked potato concept for home cooks who are puzzled about how to achieve the fluffy result.

My entire life I was taught to oil-or-butter potatoes, season their outsides, wrap them in foil and then place them in the oven or on the grill. It wasn't until I attended culinary school that I learned this is the wrong way to cook "baked" potatoes. By wrapping them in foil, you are just essentially steaming those potatoes in their jackets. They still taste great, but they are heavy and full of moisture. Here's the deal:

Butter/oil potato jackets, season them, and then poke a hole (perhaps 1/2") in each end, with a wooden skewer or a paring knife. If you're worried about the fat dripping into the bottom of your oven, place a cookie sheet on the rack under the potatoes but LAY THEM BARE on the oven rack, with the holes in the ends. Bake for one hour, test by prodding with a paring knife. FLUFFY. That's how you get fluffy bakers.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:15 am

As a reminder: be super careful when you're using that paring knife to make the cuts in the raw potato ends. Too much pressure and WHAP, you're needing stitches. Be careful out there.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:35 am

Amen, Marsha! My mom used to wrap them in foil, and they never turned out very good. I don't remember where I learned it, maybe trial and error, but a poked potato and a hot oven makes a great baked potato! O, and open it by making a serrated slit down the longways center of it, push it towards the center from both ends, fluff with a fork, add desired toppings. Mmmmm. Might have to do this tonight.
no avatar
User

Rick G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am

by Rick G » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:05 pm

There was also a steak place located at Shelbyville Rd and LaGrange Rd where the car lot is that was around in the 70's, but I forget the name. I remembered I applied for a job there. Anyone remember the name?
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:24 pm

After Garret's there was a steakhouse in that location. It seems to me it might have been the second location for a place in S. Indiana. We ate the once, good food but bad vibe. I don't know if this was before or after Furlongs.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:37 pm

Rick G wrote:There was also a steak place located at Shelbyville Rd and LaGrange Rd where the car lot is that was around in the 70's, but I forget the name. I remembered I applied for a job there. Anyone remember the name?

The Embassy Supper Club was in that general area. Was that it? Very pretentious, allegedly mob-connected, nouveau-riche kind of place, but they supposedly had great steaks and an imposing wine list for that era in Louisville (i.e., big pabel Bordeaux and Burgundy).
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:20 pm

Tony G wrote:Long before that it was an old Columbia Steakhouse. Cork and Cleaver was on down Shelbyville Rd just past Moser Rd on the right.

Holy cow, that Cork and Cleaver reference makes me feel old. I can remember it from the late 70s when I was in music school on the UofL Shelby Campus.
Next