Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: steakhouse on Shelbyville Road????

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:00 pm

TP Lowe wrote:[... the late 70s when I was in music school on the UofL Shelby Campus.

Whoa! I was on the same campus at the same time, grad school in urban affairs at U of L's Institute of Community Development. It was a Friday night/Saturday morning program, otherwise I'm sure I would have noticed you hanging around. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Rick G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:05 am

by Rick G » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:28 pm

Not the Embassy Club. Sammy Pedro was the owner of that and it was located by Outback. What I'm trying to think of was located where the Kia Store is located at 264 and Shelbyville Rd. This will drive me crazy trying to think of it!!!
no avatar
User

Tony I

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:36 pm

New Albany

by Tony I » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:04 am

Rick G wrote:Not the Embassy Club. Sammy Pedro was the owner of that and it was located by Outback. What I'm trying to think of was located where the Kia Store is located at 264 and Shelbyville Rd. This will drive me crazy trying to think of it!!!

Just a stab in the dark ..Are you thinking of Cliff Hagans steak house? or Peter O's?
Tony Impellizzeri's
5170 Charlestown Rd.
New Albany, In.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:40 am

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:[... the late 70s when I was in music school on the UofL Shelby Campus.

Whoa! I was on the same campus at the same time, grad school in urban affairs at U of L's Institute of Community Development. It was a Friday night/Saturday morning program, otherwise I'm sure I would have noticed you hanging around. :mrgreen:

Too funny - small world and all that! (On Friday and Saturday nights you would have found me in a practice room. I was a party animal.)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:49 am

TP Lowe wrote: I was a party animal.)

Makes sense. The ICD was a party school. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

by Lora S » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:14 am

There was a steak house on the corner of Shelbyville Rd and Lyndon call York steakhouse. My family would eat there at least once a week in the 70's.

Baked Potato--rub with oil, poke the ends and rub with sea salt. Extra crispy skin and fluffy insides. That is my go to recipe.

Lora
no avatar
User

Rick G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rick G » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:17 pm

Lora S wrote:There was a steak house on the corner of Shelbyville Rd and Lyndon call York steakhouse. My family would eat there at least once a week in the 70's.

Baked Potato--rub with oil, poke the ends and rub with sea salt. Extra crispy skin and fluffy insides. That is my go to recipe.

Lora

York Steakhouse is it. Thanks so much. That was driving me crazy!!!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:47 pm

Rick G wrote:York Steakhouse is it. Thanks so much. That was driving me crazy!!!

Didn't we have a really, really long thread about York Steakhouse years ago on the old forum? This is ringing a bell in the back of my head. A thread about it ended up high on Google searches for "York Steakhouse," and people from all over the country who had worked for the chain back in the day ended up posting on it ...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Didn't we have a really, really long thread about York Steakhouse years ago on the old forum?

Ha! Found it! What a blast from the past! I like the new forum better ...
http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/i ... mid=388707
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

Re: steakhouse on Shelbyville Road???? YORK STEAKHOUSE

by Lora S » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:58 pm

http://zaptoreading.smugmug.com/gallery/49487

The pictures from the old forum that were under the above still show up. Yeah, I just wasted (thoroughly enjoyed) the last half hour reading all this. Thanks for the reference and glimpse in the past with York Steakhouse Robin!

Lora
no avatar
User

Rick G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rick G » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:43 pm

Thanks Robin and Lora. You all saved my sanity. Trying to remember little things like that will drive you crazy. That's what I like about this forum. You can almost bet someone will know what your looking for.
no avatar
User

John Ribar

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:15 pm

by John Ribar » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:02 pm

The steakhouse that was there before KIA was Yorke Steak house. A notch above Sizzler or Ponderosa. My brother & sister worked for Pete the manager for several years. He always came home looking like he had been dipped in the Grease bin and she did not smell much better. Mediocre food at equal price.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:12 pm

Robin F. wrote:After Garret's there was a steakhouse in that location. It seems to me it might have been the second location for a place in S. Indiana. We ate the once, good food but bad vibe. I don't know if this was before or after Furlongs.

Frank's, and I think it was after Furlongs, but I could be wrong.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:30 pm

Margie L wrote:Frank's, and I think it was after Furlongs, but I could be wrong.

I believe you are right! Dingdingding! :D It was the Louisville outpost of an old-time Jeffersonville landmark, but unfortunately it didn't do well at all over here. I don't think it lasted more than a few months.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:19 am

Robin Garr wrote:It was the Louisville outpost of an old-time Jeffersonville landmark, but unfortunately it didn't do well at all over here. I don't think it lasted more than a few months.

The only Jeff landmark in the steak arena I can think of was Babby's. They were in three locations that I know of on the Sunny Side, though they might have moved operations each time rather than expanding. Had a ribeye & baked potato in '97 for lunch at their spot off 31 between Sellersburg & Jeff. Then there was a fire and they opened near the YMCA on 62 east of Jeff around 2000 in this really unusual facility. It was a cinderblock building with no windows in the dining area as I recall. The walls & floor were painted black and the rest of the color scheme was red, white & black. I though it was a great design & really cutting edge. My wife & I went for supper and were dumbfounded that they had no adult beverages! It wasn't Ponderosa or whatever so we were expecting a regular steakhouse experience. We were already there so we enjoyed our steaks knowing we'd never be back in the absence of a critical factor for the evening meal, at least when dining out. Then about 2002 they opened a place in River Falls Mall in Clarksville in the storefront where Ruby Tuesday had vacated. This time I stopped by and spoke to a gentleman who appeared to be a manager, possibly proprietor. We were not about to get burned a second time (for dinner, lunch is OK) and I asked about beer & wine. He said we really never felt the need to have that. I tried to stifle the look that was coming to my face when someone tells you they don't believe in climate change. If it is the same outfit, can someone tell me when they opened where Garrett's was, did they pull the same "we don't need adult beverages" stunt? The food was good but, for a proper dinner in any Western culture environment, denial of appropriate beverages is just beyond the pale.
PreviousNext