Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Has anyone been to Harvest recently?

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:53 pm

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts, feelings, mini-reviews ...
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

Re: Has anyone been to Harvest recently?

by Nora Boyle » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:03 pm

Yeah we went for desserts last night! It was very pleasant. Kind of picked us up after a downer dinner experience elsewhere. Gooseberry Fool, flourless choc torte with a delicious strawberry compote and vanilla bourbon whip. Great experience. The guy at the table next to me was quite pleased with the dinner he got. Great server. I think Katy.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Nora Boyle wrote:Great server. I think Katy.

Thanks, Nora! I've had Katy as my server before, and she really is first-rank.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:36 am

We were going to try their Saturday brunch last week, but checked the menu on-line and their prices seemed 20-50% above the competition! Given that most today do locally source most ingredients, we just weren't willing to pay $12 for an omelette with slaw, or the same price for biscuits and gravy (sides like potatoes, bread/muffins, fruit, et al were listed a la carte). We went to Napa River, paid $18, and had a spectacular brunch with live music.

Maybe it's really a good deal, and more sides/options included, but can't tell that from the web menu listing.
Andrew Mellman
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:29 am

Coby is one of the friendliest people in town that I know. I met her at a fundraiser some friends were throwing and she was catering. Her homemade granola is like manna from heaven. I have literally eaten bags of the stuff, to the detriment of my waist line.

I have never had anything less than awesome service and food there, every time we go. Which is often. I would put Harvest in my top five in town, and definitely higher than Proof on Main. Harvest's burger beats Proof's hands down.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:01 pm

I am there all the time delivering meat, and see the gang in the kitchen constantly so know that what I'm about to say is biased.

I love Harvest. It is my girlfriend"s favorite date spot. The bar tender knows her taste in drinks, and the food is outstanding. I think my favorite thing is that it feels classy and upscale, but has such a relaxed vibe that I don't mind just popping in with jeans on and feeling welcomed. Coby is a master of doing comfort food with amazing flare and flavor. Ribs, steak, salads... I could eat there every night.

Beyond that, their commitment to local farmers a real thing. You can tell by the staff and owners that this is their passion. I love working with all those folks, and consider them friends.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:28 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:I am there all the time delivering meat, and see the gang in the kitchen constantly so know that what I'm about to say is biased.

I love Harvest. It is my girlfriend"s favorite date spot. The bar tender knows her taste in drinks, and the food is outstanding. I think my favorite thing is that it feels classy and upscale, but has such a relaxed vibe that I don't mind just popping in with jeans on and feeling welcomed. Coby is a master of doing comfort food with amazing flare and flavor. Ribs, steak, salads... I could eat there every night.

Beyond that, their commitment to local farmers a real thing. You can tell by the staff and owners that this is their passion. I love working with all those folks, and consider them friends.

I'm on board with all that. Also, I've known Ivor for a long time, and respect the hell out of him. And one of his backers lives on our street and is a nodding back-fence acquaintance. And I think a lot of Chef Coby.

ALL that said, though, I've had enough meh experiences at brunch and lunch recently to make me wonder if they've drifted toward "phoning it in" when it's not the dinner hour.

Do you happen to know, Adriel, if Coby is on duty at midday or only comes in for the dinner rush?
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:48 pm

LOL. :lol:

The reason Im laughing is that its been my experience that 90% of dinner focused restaurants "phone it in" during lunch. Its why I have lunch lists and dinner lists and rarely do the two overlap.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:01 pm

"Phoning it in" means what exactly? Coby isn't there from open to close?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:19 am

Nora Boyle wrote:"Phoning it in" means what exactly? Coby isn't there from open to close?

I have no idea of Coby's hours, Nora. That's why I asked. "Phoning it in" is slang for, well, staying home from work but just checking in by phone. Not literally. A metaphor. ;)
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:53 pm

Gotcha! Learn something new every day. That wasn't meant snarky btw. I really had never heard that one.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:06 pm

Nora Boyle wrote:That wasn't meant snarky btw. I really had never heard that one.

No worries, I didn't take it as snarky. 8)
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:12 am

Robin Garr wrote:Do you happen to know, Adriel, if Coby is on duty at midday or only comes in for the dinner rush?

She is in house a lot, but I don't think she does lunch. Most head chefs are in for dinners. I do see her in during the day, but that could be for menu planning, and working on all of their in house prep, making bacon, sauces, reductions, canning etc.