Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

The Log Inn- Warrenton, IN- well worth the trip!!!

by MarieP » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:58 pm

On our way back from a trip to Nebraska, my parents and I stopped for dinner at The Log Inn, just off I-64 at exit 25 (12 miles north of Evansville). The food was absolutely delicious- my dad kept saying, "Wow!" in between bites!

Officially the oldest restaurant in Indiana, the Log Inn was established as a midday stage-coach stop in 1825. Abraham Lincoln himself enjoyed the delicious comfort food served up at the Inn. The hewn-log walls, original brick flooring, and nostalgic photos create a cozy environment.

Family-style meals are the specialty, offering each person their own choice of meat while sides are shared. The menu is comparatively short, which is more than forgivable considering its quality. We ordered country ham, 1/2 fried chicken (white-meat), and chicken livers/gizzards. For sides, we got mashed potatoes and gravy, coleslaw, vegetable of the day (peas), corn, and dinner rolls. For a dollar extra per person, you can order "German fries"- what we call skillet-fried potatoes. The chicken breading was perfectly seasoned and just the right thickness- crispy on the outside with juicy, tender, succulent meat inside. Our server said the ham was not as salty as usual country ham, which was true, but it was very flavorful and seemed quite lean (for ham ;-) ). All the sides were very generous and delicious- nothing pedestrian here- even the peas were fresh and noteworthy! We found we did not need the German fries- they were decently good, but with more than enough already, we decided next time we will pass on those. While meat can be taken home in a doggie bag (which are adorably printed with a dog saying "I just know it's not for me!"), sides cannot. I totally can understand this policy, though it was a shame to need to leave behind such good food!

The price is very reasonable- $13.25 per person. Which is good because we can use the money to buy the gas to get there! ;-)

We thought it was better than Huber's (though they still might have the leg-up in regards to popovers and apple-butter!)

http://theloginn.net/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: The Log Inn- Warrenton, IN- well worth the trip!!!

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:56 am

Nice review, Marie. Thanks! And family time makes it special, I'm sure.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Re: The Log Inn- Warrenton, IN- well worth the trip!!!

by MarieP » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:21 am

Indeed!