Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Robin Garr's article in LEO's Al Fresco Dining section

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:12 pm

Smoke gets in our eyes? Not necessarily ...

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Sometimes it is good to be wrong.

Consider, for example, this prophecy I uttered in 2010: “Since the passage of Louisville’s no-smoking law for restaurants and bars, the patios have become the de facto smoking section. If this doesn’t bother you, great! But to be blunt, it makes most patios no-go zones for me.”

That forecast made sense at the time, a couple years after the city banned all smoking indoors at restaurants and bars. Initially, the ban inspired glum forecasts that the exodus of smokers would drive most eateries and watering holes out of business, turning Louisville into a dismal purgatory akin to, say, the main drag in Booneville, Ky.

Happily, that scenario didn’t play out. Neither the smoking ban nor the Great Recession did much to slow down our booming restaurant scene.

But my prediction seemed more reasonable: Rather than giving up dining out entirely, surely smokers would simply head outdoors to light up.

Initially, that seemed to be the case. Grumpily, I would stride past patio areas with eyes and nose averted, choosing the purified environment within. But something funny happened while I wasn’t paying attention. More and more, especially in the “fine dining” sector, management began choosing to declare their al fresco areas smoke-free, even without the pressure of a law.

Read the full column on LouisvilleHotBytes:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/smoke ... ecessarily

And in LEO Weekly:
http://leoweekly.com/dining/al-fresco-d ... ecessarily