Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Which is Louisville's biggest Kroger?

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Business First asks, "Which is Louisville's biggest Kroger?" Post your guess before you look! :) http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/n ... 1403637216
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

Re: Which is Louisville's biggest Kroger?

by Mike Hardin » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:50 pm

McMahan Plaza. And they're not even finished with construction.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:46 pm

Makes it sound like kids arguing, "My Kroger is bigger than Your Kroger!"! But they need to be discussing is which is the BEST and which is the WORST Kroger, customers don't really care about the size of the store. Since the Middletown start was expanded the last time it seems like they have less grocery items in more miscellaneous junk that we don't look for in a grocery store anyway!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:06 pm

I would concur with McMahan as largest (or maybe Middletown). Plainview would be in the running for worst. Highlands is first in line for "I wish we could be bigger".
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:30 am

Jay M. wrote:I would concur with McMahan as largest (or maybe Middletown). Plainview would be in the running for worst. Highlands is first in line for "I wish we could be bigger".

Highlands Kroger has always been my favorite by far. I heard there was an idea once to possibly make it two stories, which would be interesting. Is the CVS in the parking lot going to be torn down when they relocate to the old Winn-Dixie site? I had also heard the possibility of Kroger gas on the old Super X spot was denied.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:30 am

Yeah, I'd have to guess McMahan as well.
I really don't prefer bigger stores. Mark R. hit the nail on the head - big stores filled with mostly junk. (I'm not going to buy a set of dishes at Kroger.) I prefer smaller, better quality. Krogers produce seems to always be expensive and of poor quality.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:33 am

After it's recent expansion, I'd have to say McMahan. I HATE it. The largest I am comfortable with is the Westport/Hubbards Lane one.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:04 am

Margie L wrote: The largest I am comfortable with is the Westport/Hubbards Lane one.

We go to that one fairly often, Margie. It's pretty nice, but I thought the last expansion put it over the line into "too big for just running in to pick up a few items." On the other hand, it's a good way to get an aerobic walk. :mrgreen:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Westport Plaza Kroger?

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:06 am

Thanks to working now and then in its neighborhood, I've been using the Westport Plaza Kroger more often lately, and to me, it's just about what a Kroger should be. Good-size, big enough for plenty of variety, but not so gigantic that I get in my mile walk just from shopping there. Bright and clean, well-managed, friendly staff, and there's a Kroger gas station right out front. What's not to like?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

How about "Dirty Kroger"?

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:09 am

This is actually the closest Kroger to us, and we shop there for basics now and then. It's not really dirty, but it has an interesting vibe and a diverse clientele, perhaps thanks to being the closest Kroger on the east side of the inner city. Not that there's anything the matter with that. 8)

I think it's funny that the name has stuck so hard that there's a place page on Facebook for it with 113 likes and 581 visitors (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dirty-Kr ... 9040701875); and former Mayor Dave Armstrong once carelessly used the term in an on-the-record interview. :lol:
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:27 am

Margie L wrote:After it's recent expansion, I'd have to say McMahan. I HATE it. The largest I am comfortable with is the Westport/Hubbards Lane one.

I agree - I hate the McMahan one, too. Way too big for a Kroger. My mom and I used to go the A & P in McMahan Plaza, the Buy Low/IGA inside the K-Mart, and Gateway, in McMahan Center for quick things like milk and soft drinks.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:12 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:
Margie L wrote:After it's recent expansion, I'd have to say McMahan. I HATE it. The largest I am comfortable with is the Westport/Hubbards Lane one.

I agree - I hate the McMahan one, too. Way too big for a Kroger. My mom and I used to go the A & P in McMahan Plaza, the Buy Low/IGA inside the K-Mart, and Gateway, in McMahan Center for quick things like milk and soft drinks.

OMG, I remember Gateway. When I was a kid, at holiday time, they used to have the big, heavily advertised, Kenner toys at the top of the shelves around the perimeter of the store. I think I spent every trip with my neck craned, looking up.
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:19 pm

McMahan, Middletown, and Prospect all seem pretty big to me. I may be one of the few here who actually like the expansions. I found it hard to navigate crowded stores with narrow aisles.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:48 pm

Paul S wrote:McMahan, Middletown, and Prospect all seem pretty big to me. I may be one of the few here who actually like the expansions. I found it hard to navigate crowded stores with narrow aisles.

I don't mind to the large size of the store but if the grocery store for goodness sake! I don't go there to get lawn furniture, China, or other such assorted items. If you make the store larger give me a large variety of grocery items not miscellaneous junk. I also don't like the cross aisles they have in the Middletown store and the Westport Road store, not sure if the others have them are not. If you like there are constantly source of collisions between shopping carts!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"