Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: New Forum now ready for your dining enjoyment

by Steve P » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:05 am

I would like to see a more contrast between the background and the font...as it is right now (for me anyway) it's pretty eye straining. Otherwise, nice job.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:39 am

Steve P wrote:I would like to see a more contrast between the background and the font...as it is right now (for me anyway) it's pretty eye straining. Otherwise, nice job.

Yep, Steve A also mentioned "gray on gray," and I agree. That should be within our power to tweak, and it's high on the list. :)
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:25 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Gordon M Lowe wrote:Is there a way to get the message board to display full screen? Seems like wasted space on the left.

Gordon, may I be frank without (I hope) being snarky? The ads pay the rent, and while I would never ask folks to click on them just to give us revenue - that would be both against the rules and improper - I do feel some justification in asking that everyone at least look at them rather than hiding them. If you consider an occasional click because the substance of the ad interests you, then we both win. 8)

(PS: We do monitor the ad criteria very closely and try to keep spammy and silly and clickbait stuff OFF the forum, so there's that.)

I really don't have issues with advertising, but I don't see any; just blank space. :|
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:21 am

Gordon M Lowe wrote:I really don't have issues with advertising, but I don't see any; just blank space. :|

Gordon, even at the top of the page? There is a little "menu" of forum commands at upper right, and under it space for one display ad. Then after that it's blank all the way down. We didn't really want to fill that whole stack with advertising! :lol: When you scroll to the top of the page, is it blank even there? Do you use "ad blocking" software? Mind telling me what kind of computer you have (PC or Mac or Linux) and what browser you are using (Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.)?
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:33 am

Here's what I think he's referring to:

You scroll down the page and the header shrinks (nice!)

You then have the "Forum Menu" on the left.

As you scroll down nothing fills the space below the Forum Menu leaving the reader with the sense that the posts could expand to fill the screen. As it is, it's like they're justified 1/3 of the way in from the left, scrunched up to the right.

I do not see ads but I have a number of ad blockers in place. I'm on a win7-32bit machine. My regular browser is firefox. Testing in IE I see more of the gray boxes below the Forum Menu which are presumably the landing-pad for ads but even these terminate after a while (of scrolling down) which again leaves the user posts scrunched to the right and 1/3 of blank screen on the left.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:38 am

I don't see any ads. Chrome user w/o ad blocker.

edit: Whoops. I see them. On the left under the forum menu.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:17 am

Ok, I was on my work Windows computer using IE when I posted about no Ad's. They apparently have effective ad-blockers, with not even a red circle and a line drawn through it, indicating something is missing.

Now, I am at home on my Mac, using Safari, and I get two ads below the Forum Menu, but nothing at the top, and like was mentioned, after you scroll down a few posts, about a ⅓ left of the screen has nothing. ~Feels cramped, but probably no way to expand it with the ad template intact. Like you said, you didn't want a forever rolling banner of ads, so you just have two at the beginning. But again, nothing at the top.

I also agree about the post content needing to be black for easier reading.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks for pursuing it, Gordon. I appreciate your help, and your diligence.

Gordon M Lowe wrote:I also agree about the post content needing to be black for easier reading.

Mary says this is No 1 on the tech guys' list and should happen today! :mrgreen:
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:32 pm

I realize that you're limited in what you can do with the software, but on the desktop version would it be possible to make the left column with the menu and ads stationary, but allow the posts to scroll?

I'm thinking frames, which are probably verboten in the web 3.0 world.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:16 pm

Steve A wrote:I'm thinking frames, which are probably verboten in the web 3.0 world.

Yeah, Steve, that would be correct. Mary and I both grew up on frames and used to be able to toss 'em around like the hanging crew in a big museum, but that's just not how things work in the world of CSS.

Any change like this would also break the tablet and smart phone views, and we don't want to do that.

I hope it isn't so profoundly irritating to you as to keep you (or anyone) away, but with PhpBB it really comes down to picking a theme that you like and then accepting it with minimal tweaking. Even the gray-on-gray issue is making us crazy. Seemingly simply changes don't work the way you've planned.

In other words, I hope everyone either loves this the way it is or can learn to do so. 8)
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:51 am

Don't like the new look. Especially that weird in and out stuff at the top. Just my opinion, as asked.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:20 pm

Overall love the new look of the site...much more modern.

However that pizza background is way too in-your-face in my opinion. Maybe darken up the image or something so its not so bright and distracting. Or just don't use a background image.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Jason G wrote:Overall love the new look of the site...much more modern.

However that pizza background is way too in-your-face in my opinion. Maybe darken up the image or something so its not so bright and distracting. Or just don't use a background image.

Aw, man, we love the pizza background! 8)

Seriously, we're thinking of changing it out regularly with various food images. It usually shows only as a border, doesn't it?
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:58 pm

Hey, bring back that flying pizza thing from years ago ... and oh yeah, DANNY MACS ROCKS !
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:11 pm

Gary Guss wrote:Hey, bring back that flying pizza thing from years ago ...

This is actually it! It landed! :lol:

and oh yeah, DANNY MACS ROCKS !

Indeed it does!
PreviousNext