Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: New Forum now ready for your dining enjoyment

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Windows 7, and IE 9. Like I said, though, it's intermittent.

Reasonably close to Mark's setup, then. At this point, I'm puzzled, but if you observe the behavior any time soon, try to record the sequence of events that preceded it, and I'll ask the tech weenies to take a peek. :)
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:23 pm

Navigation & viewing is A-OK here, though I've had the same experience as Marsha re: not seeing the Replies or Views columns but never on a desktop. I've seen this on my Win 8.1 convertible tablet / notebook. On it in both Chrome & Firefox those columns disappear when used in portrait tablet mode. When switched to landscape viewing they reappear and look the same as on a desktop.

Site works fine on my Android Gingerbread [I'm a slow adopter] tablet though on this device the aforementioned columns display in neither the portrait or landscape viewing mode.

Win 7 PC on both Chrome & Firefox, no problems.

Linux (Mint 13) laptop with Firefox works fine.

iMac with OS X 10.6.8 [I said I'm a slow adopter] on Safari, Chrome & Firefox site works fine.

I concur with an earlier comment that the new site is easier to read, at least for my somewhat challenged eyes.

Re: IE browser - I stopped using it altogether a while back due to a couple of recommendations from different IT people over the course of a year or two. If it gives you trouble you might try installing the free Firefox & Chrome browsers and give them a whirl and see if you get better results. In fact, even with them I find some sites work better with one than the other. If they don't float your boat, just uninstall them.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:02 am

Lonnie Turner wrote:Navigation & viewing is A-OK here, though I've had the same experience as Marsha re: not seeing the Replies or Views columns but never on a desktop.

Lonnie, thanks for the detailed report. The current way for content management themes is "responsive design," in which the software tries to detect whether you're using a desktop, tablet or smart-phone screen, then adjusts to show best in that format, sometimes making necessary compromises to make that happen. You can play with this on a large desktop screen, to some extent, by grabbing and resizing the screen, noting especially what happens when you make it very small, as in smart-phone size.

It doesn't surprise me that some nice-but-not-necessary features like view counts go away when the screen gets very small.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:36 am

Robin, FWIW, the "Unread Posts" button still isn't working right for me. Takes me to the top of the page that contains the first unread post, but not down to the post itself unless I then click the "view first unread post" link at the top of that page.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Robin, FWIW, the "Unread Posts" button still isn't working right for me. Takes me to the top of the page that contains the first unread post, but not down to the post itself unless I then click the "view first unread post" link at the top of that page.

That's odd, Jeff. "I can't replicate that behavior," as the tech guys say. :oops: Tell me what operating system and browser you are using?
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:06 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Robin, FWIW, the "Unread Posts" button still isn't working right for me. Takes me to the top of the page that contains the first unread post, but not down to the post itself unless I then click the "view first unread post" link at the top of that page.

That's odd, Jeff. "I can't replicate that behavior," as the tech guys say. :oops: Tell me what operating system and browser you are using?

Win7, IE 9.0.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:10 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Win7, IE 9.0.

Hmm ... anyone else suffering a similar issue? I want to fix this, but with a Mac-only household and no IE available (we use Chrome and Safari), I can't even look.

Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by > "Unread Posts" button <, Jeff. do you mean the little icon that looks like a page with the corner folded over that appears at the beginning of the subject line on each forum's main page? Or the "unread posts" link in the box on the left-hand side of the forum page? That doesn't go directly to a post for me, though; rather it opens a page with a link to each unread post.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:44 am

I mean the little corner-turned-down page icon. When I mouse over that, the little box that pops up says "Unread Posts."

It used to be the case, in the last version of the forum software, that button would take me directly to the first unread post - it would load the page already scrolled halfway down or whatever, to the first unread post's location. This is a pretty common feature on forum software.

Now, it just takes me to the top of the page that contains the first unread post. I then have to either scroll down to the first unread post, or click this link:

Honestly, none of this is a big deal. One extra click isn't gonna kill anyone. I just thought it was worth bringing up as a feature that did work on the previous forum but got broken (or intermittently broken) in the upgrade.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:06 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:It used to be the case, in the last version of the forum software, that button would take me directly to the first unread post - it would load the page already scrolled halfway down or whatever, to the first unread post's location. This is a pretty common feature on forum software.

Now, it just takes me to the top of the page that contains the first unread post.

Thanks for the detailed, thorough and clear trouble report, Jeff. I wish everyone I deal with could express an issue as comprehensively as this. :mrgreen:

I'm utterly puzzled, though, as this appears to be idiosyncratic behavior on the part of IE7 or Windows. I appreciate that you're willing to work around it, but I'm still frustrated that it's going on and we can't figure it out.

Question for lookers-on: Is anyone else having a similar issue, with IE7 or other?
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:14 pm

It's IE9, but still an archaic version of a terrible browser. Unfortunately, it's what my employer forces me to use. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the problem is due to IE's inherent awfulness.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:48 pm

Jeff/Robin, I have several different configurations around here, all are running Windows 7x64 and Internet Explorer. The my use regularly has IE 11 and everything works fine. I tried it on another one I have that's running IE 9 and it worked all right there too! I wonder if it's something in the configuration of Jeff's IE9 that's causing the problem, or possibly something else with how is Corporation set the computer up?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:56 pm

Internet Explorer, lol. I'm having flashbacks to 1997.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:29 am

Something would have to keep track of the user account to know which posts have been read or not. This means there has to be some persistent data storage, which I'm guessing would be trying to use cookies on the particular user's computer. So, anyone who wants to use the unread posts button, probably needs to have their browser configured to accept cookies from louisvillehotbytes.com
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:05 am

Steve H wrote:Something would have to keep track of the user account to know which posts have been read or not. This means there has to be some persistent data storage, which I'm guessing would be trying to use cookies on the particular user's computer. So, anyone who wants to use the unread posts button, probably needs to have their browser configured to accept cookies from louisvillehotbytes.com

That makes a lot of sense, Steve, meaning, "I wish I had thought of that." :oops:
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:10 am

Steve H wrote:Something would have to keep track of the user account to know which posts have been read or not. This means there has to be some persistent data storage, which I'm guessing would be trying to use cookies on the particular user's computer. So, anyone who wants to use the unread posts button, probably needs to have their browser configured to accept cookies from louisvillehotbytes.com

That would make sense if the "First Unread Post" link (my second picture above) wasn't working right, either. But it does, apparently, know which was the last post I read.

Also, as I mentioned, it worked fine before the forum upgrade.
Previous