Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

New Forum now ready for your dining enjoyment

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:15 pm

FINAL UPDATE: You should be seeing the new forum look now. Kick it around and see if you can break it. It should be stable, though!

Meanwhile, pop over to the LouisvilleHotBytes reviews site and check out the new look! Some work remains to be done over there, too - restoring bylines to the reviews and purging out obsolete reviews and closed eateries - but we're on it!
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

Re: New Forum now ready for your dining enjoyment

by Tony G » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:42 pm

I'm on vacation down here on Hilton Head Island, just seeing the new boards and I gotta say, I LOVE IT!!! Great job!!!
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:17 pm

So far, Robin, my reaction is, "It's so pretty!"
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:25 pm

Looks good, and I haven't encountered a bug yet. :)
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:45 pm

May want to fix the background and have the comments scroll instead otherwise you are running out of background as you scroll down
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:49 pm

I agree with Gary's comment about the background running out. I really haven't looked around much yet but can users change colors? It's certainly going to take some getting used to! :roll:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:51 pm

Looks very nice!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:53 pm

Gary Guss wrote:May want to fix the background and have the comments scroll instead otherwise you are running out of background as you scroll down

Noted, Gary, although I think that's a feature, not a bug ... i.e., not intended that the background go on forever.

Most of these PhpBB themes are "out of the box." We do have some ability to tweak the details, but the more we tweak, the more we can mess up. :oops:
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:21 pm

As always, a new forum format freaks me completely out and I feel like I don't know where everything is like I used to. But as I use it and settle in, I'm sure I will feel right at home as every before.

the new look is spiffy!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:08 pm

RonnieD wrote:As always, a new forum format freaks me completely out and I feel like I don't know where everything is like I used to. But as I use it and settle in, I'm sure I will feel right at home as every before.

It's sort of like the time they changed some stuff on the menu at J. Gumbo's. :lol:

the new look is spiffy!

no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:33 am

Once I found the buttons I needed I am loving this change. I love the way the entire page is used; no matter how much I zoomed the old site always liked to cling to the far left of my screen- though perhaps it was echoing my political bent.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:31 am

Is there a way to get the message board to display full screen? Seems like wasted space on the left.
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:21 am

I think the new design is very nice, especially like the way the top bar hops out of the way as you scroll down the page in a desktop browser.

First, and this is just a personal preference, but it appears that the forum displays dark grey text on a light grey background. Though this presentation isn't as stark as black on white, you lose a little contrast which makes it harder for the eyes to scan text on a mobile device.

Also, I'm having a little difficulty on my Android phone and Nexus tablet. The mobile part of the theme seems to be working pretty well, but the fonts come out too small to be practical. And with the old forum software, on mobile devices you could double-tap to zoom and the columns would automatically fit to the screen width. Now, you can pinch zoom, but the text scrolls off the right margin without reformatting the column. I'd be curious to hear if this works the same way on IOS products.

I poked around the forum and my browser settings, and there doesn't appear to be any way for the user to control font sizes.

And I should point out that I'm using the latest Chrome browser on these devices.

Oddly enough I just tried the forum on an old old Android phone using the built-in browser (not Chrome) and the columns reformat just fine. Hmmm.

I just looked at the blog part of hotbytes, and really like the design there as well. Great job!
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:51 am

Steve A wrote:I think the new design is very nice, especially like the way the top bar hops out of the way as you scroll down the page in a desktop browser.

First, and this is just a personal preference, but it appears that the forum displays dark grey text on a light grey background. Though this presentation isn't as stark as black on white, you lose a little contrast which makes it harder for the eyes to scan text on a mobile device.

Steve, as my own Baby Boomer eyes get older, I am very sensitive to this issue, but oddly, I hadn't noticed it in Chrome on my iPhone. Let me pass this on to Mary for the techs. As I've said above, our tweaking capabilities are limited with this black-box module, but we can do some stuff. Let me see, and thanks for highlighting a usability issue.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:53 am

Gordon M Lowe wrote:Is there a way to get the message board to display full screen? Seems like wasted space on the left.

Gordon, may I be frank without (I hope) being snarky? The ads pay the rent, and while I would never ask folks to click on them just to give us revenue - that would be both against the rules and improper - I do feel some justification in asking that everyone at least look at them rather than hiding them. If you consider an occasional click because the substance of the ad interests you, then we both win. 8)

(PS: We do monitor the ad criteria very closely and try to keep spammy and silly and clickbait stuff OFF the forum, so there's that.)
Next