Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

So I'm moving to Buechel...

no avatar
User

John Price

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:56 am

So I'm moving to Buechel...

by John Price » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:13 am

After better than a decade I find myself forced out of my native St. Matthew's habitat and into the wilds of southern Bardstown Road. My new place is close by Bashford Manor just off the Buechel bypass. I know basically nothing about the area's food choices except that there are some interesting ethnic markets in the area. Anybody have any intel to share? Maybe a favorite eatery or two? Conversely, any horror stories of places to avoid? Any info would be much appreciated.
-John
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: So I'm moving to Buechel...

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:49 am

John, more later, but absolutely I would say the string of ethnic spots along Old Bardstown Road would be your place to start. We liked Petra, the Jordanian place, and Bosna-Mak has done well also. (I think it's still around, but things change fast.) There was also a very positive forum thread about Jasmin (Bosnian) not too long ago - try a search on "Jasmine" or "Jasmin."

I don't think you'll be unhappy ... remember, too, that you're in close striking range of Stony Brook (Mussel & Burger Bar and The Place Downstairs) in one direction, and straight back in Bardstown Road to The Strip in the other.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:09 am

My wife and I spent the better part of our first 8 years of marriage living in Buechel just off of Beuchel Bank. As far as the neighborhood, yeah the ethnic strip on Old Bardstown is the closest and best place to start. Also don't forget just a little south on Bardstown is Dak Shin (oh how we miss being five minutes from Dak Shin) and the regular location of Las Gorditas, both in East Gate shopping center. A little but further south and Fern Creek will provide a few more options as well. Sugar and Spice isn't the BEST donut shop in town (for me that's Nord's) but personally I like them better than Plehn's, though a St Matt's native will probably find that sacrilege, haha.

You'll also find, while you aren't in the neighborhood, you have easy access to the Highlands as well. About a year ago we moved to eastern Jtown and miss the proximity and central location.

Grocery shopping may be more palatable at the Meijer's on Hurstbourne, than the Buechel Kroger... Or just drive a little into the Highlands Kroger.

Buechel isn't a terrible place to live. It's become a little rundown in the years since I attended High School at Seneca (it was a great school in the 90's!), but there are upsides as well.
no avatar
User

John Price

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Price » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:00 am

Okay, Aaron. If you want to start dissing Plehn's we are going to have a problem. :D Seriously, though I am a donut junky so I will be sure to check out Sugar & Spice.

I love love LOVE Indian food, so your tales of a fabulous Indian place have me excited. I checked out Robin's review and it's definitely shot to the top of my list to try out.

Thanks for the tips so far, guys. Please keep 'em coming. I'm still nervous about the move, but starting to think it might all work out for the best.

-John
no avatar
User

RussB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Fern Creek

by RussB » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:12 pm

If you are a donut junkie, give Heitzman's a try (south east corner of Shepherdsville Road at Hikes Lane). I have been addicted to their pecan danishes since I was 5 years old.
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:26 am

Aaron Newton wrote:Grocery shopping may be more palatable at the Meijer's on Hurstbourne, than the Buechel Kroger... Or just drive a little into the Highlands Kroger.

Fairly strong words.
BShep
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:03 am

RussB wrote:If you are a donut junkie, give Heitzman's a try (south east corner of Shepherdsville Road at Hikes Lane). I have been addicted to their pecan danishes since I was 5 years old.

A few weeks ago when coming into town from Indy my parents decided to stop at Nord's. It was a madhouse and they decided it would take too long. They stopped at Heitzman's. Between the four of us we ate two of the dozen and tossed the rest. :(

Bryan Shepherd wrote:
Fairly strong words.

Notsureifserious.gif
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:42 am

John, you'll also be close to an Aldi. They have added a large component of organic foods in all departments and have a big selection of gluten free if you're into that sort of thing.
no avatar
User

John Price

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Price » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:21 am

I've long been curious about Aldi. I'm not into organics or gluten-free or whatever, but I've heard that they have some really good prices and quality on basics, and I can certainly use that. I'll be checking them out for sure. Thanks for the tip.
no avatar
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:20 pm

Little India Cafe is right down the road in Hikes Point. Last time I checked it was over in McMahan Plaza, but they were planning to relocate next to Baskin Robbins at some point.

Sounds like you're right next to El Caporal. Haven't been in a while, but Buckhead's seems to have a decent variety of beers on tap. Although, I'm not sure I care much for the food there.
no avatar
User

John Price

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Price » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:07 pm

Will check out Little India. There is always room in my heart for another good Indian place. I've been to Caporal and was medium-impressed. Nice neighborhood place with very friendly service, but my beef burrito was a bit bland for my taste. My pal's chicken enchilada was much better, so I think I'll go that way next time.

Been to Buckhead's a couple of times and won't be going again. As you say, a decent selection of beers but the food is pedestrian at best. I'm not interested in spending my precious dining-out budget on cliche chain food in a city that has as many authentic and delicious local eateries as Louisville.

Next time I'm over there with a load of stuff I'm going to hit up Jasmin Bakery for the gyros sandwich I've been hearing about. Never had one on bread (as opposed to pita) before. Looking forward to the experience, though.

As always, thanks much for the info.

-John