Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

HotBytes Facebook Page resurrected. Now what?

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:37 pm

Just for the heck of it, over the past few days I've replaced, then tuned up, an old Facebook "Page" that I built for HotBytes back around 2009 but then never really used. I dug it up recently and, seeing that it had about 800 "Likes" even though there was never any news on it :oops: , decided to clean it up and try linking it to some of our topics here.

I have no real idea what (if anything) we'll do with this, but some possibilities that occur to me are:

1) Attract in some newbies who find us by browsing Facebook for "Louisville restaurants" ad such.

2) For those of us who use Facebook, offer a quick and easy way to highlight interesting threads and click straight through to the forum from there.

I really do not plan to do anything with it that's different from what we have here, so if you don't use Facebook, you won't miss a thing. We're not going to have a party without you. :mrgreen: '

But if you are interested, feel free to go to the LouisvilleHotBytes space on Facebook at this link ...
https://www.facebook.com/LouisvilleHotBytes
... and then click "Like" and, if you wish, "Get Notifications" under the "Like" button to ensure you'll be notified when you get new posts.

Finally, if any of you are Facebook gurus, please feel free to make suggestions.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: HotBytes Facebook Page resurrected. Now what?

by Mark R. » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:36 am

Robin, I saw where you resurrected it yesterday and went ahead and liked it. I think the biggest and best use work would probably be to attract additional members here. I've always found it very hard to follow discussions of a subject on Facebook or as it's very easy to follow a discussion in a thread that is part of a forum. It also would probably be useful to highlight upcoming food events coming to Louisville.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:50 am

It popped up in my feed yesterday much to my surprise! It was kind of nice, but also kind of "I already go there about twice a day."

Will be a welcome addition to my feed as I am trying to beat down the "Game of Throne" quizzes and other junk that clutters it. Honestly, I'm about to abandon Facebook altogether, so it may not impact me much at all.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:51 am

Right! I thought I expressed that, Mark, but your response is consistent with my intentions.

It is not my intention to have the Facebook Page replace the forum in any way, shape or form.

I don't intend to put anything on the Page that is not on the forum. People who don't use Facebook or don't enjoy it won't miss out on a thing by sticking with the forum.

But I'm hoping that moving to a more active Facebook Page will give this forum a higher profile and attract even more intelligent, civil, and interesting local foodies and wineaux and beer-os here. 8) And, as I said, for those who spend more time on Facebook, offer a handy spot in Zuckerberg-land to be reminded of hot new forum topics that I cross-reference on Facebook.

So, you guys, please do "Like" and "Share" and spread the word!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:52 am

RonnieD wrote:It popped up in my feed yesterday much to my surprise! It was kind of nice, but also kind of "I already go there about twice a day."

Will be a welcome addition to my feed as I am trying to beat down the "Game of Throne" quizzes and other junk that clutters it. Honestly, I'm about to abandon Facebook altogether, so it may not impact me much at all.

You do know you can kill those game requests? You do have to do it one at a time, but when you get a Candy Crunch invite, for instance, hover your cursor over its northeast corner and click the little "X" that appears. This will give you the option to "Stop All Notifications From Candy Crunch."

It just takes a second, and if you do it consistently, it won't be long before you've silenced all the games. Then it's just a matter of shooting down new ones when they appear, but that becomes much less frequent.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:40 pm

Oh sure. I'm all over that. I was more referring to all of the people in my feed who are irresistibly compelled to find out their "Game of Thrones Name" or which "Full House" character they are. I admit, I did that sort of foolery when the internet was new, but at some point it becomes absurd. It seems to particularly be the domain of those who chase fads. (there's an "h" word I would rather use, but it is verboten in these parts :wink: :mrgreen: )
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Harold Baker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:19 am

prospect,ky

by Harold Baker » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:37 pm

Keep up the great work Robin!
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:04 pm

I'm glad you put it up. I could never reply to your namesake page because you had already "liked" as many people as it would let you, so it was very frustrating wanting to answer your questions/remarks but being unable to do anything but "like" what you've said. :)
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:52 pm

Christina Hall wrote:I could never reply to your namesake page because you had already "liked" as many people as it would let you

I didn't know that, Christina! Facebook is confusing. :oops: I'm glad it's better now.

Just to clarify, are you talking about the old HotBytes page that I didn't use? Or my own personal Facebook page?