Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Wouldyou dine al fresco if there's smoking?

Sure, why not?
27%
I'd do it, but not happily
7%
Hard to say. Depends on circumstances
16%
I'd probably pass and go inside
18%
Absolutely not!
32%
Other (discuss)
No votes

Total votes : 56
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Quick poll: Would you dine al fresco if there's smoking?

by Jason G » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:31 am

I respect the no vaping indoors thing. If its just one person steath vaping really no big deal. Of course if its a lot of people at once it can create a haze and obviously there is some concentration of nicotine in that which people would not want to be exposed to. Also some people have setups that blow HUGE clouds of vapor and of course they like to go around doing it indoors and ruin it for the rest of us.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:52 am

I'm not trying to take sides with this, but for the discussion, here's a letter to today's NY Times from the head of an anti-vaping group, offering their argument against E-cigs:

The head of a corporate accountability group says government action is needed so tobacco makers don’t turn a new generation into nicotine addicts.

http://nyti.ms/1qFsKNg
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:12 am

Robin Garr wrote:I'm not trying to take sides with this, but for the discussion, here's a letter to today's NY Times from the head of an anti-vaping group, offering their argument against E-cigs:

The head of a corporate accountability group says government action is needed so tobacco makers don’t turn a new generation into nicotine addicts.

It's hard to take them seriously on that when they aren't also going after the pharma companies to stop selling nicotine patches and gums. Which, just like e-cigs, are both effective cessation aids AND also items that prolong nicotine addiction and thereby "perpetuate cigarette smoking."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:48 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:It's hard to take them seriously on that when they aren't also going after the pharma companies to stop selling nicotine patches and gums. Which, just like e-cigs, are both effective cessation aids AND also items that prolong nicotine addiction and thereby "perpetuate cigarette smoking."

No argument from me, Jeff, although my takeaway from this guy's post is that E-cigs are actually coming from Big Terbackky, and that he doesn't want to give them an out. Maybe from his point of view, Big Pharma is someone else's fight?

As I said, though, I don't have any particular dog in this fight. My only experience with vaping is that a friend was doing it stealthily at lunch and I didn't know if for months until one day when I got a very faint, unobjectionable whiff. At that point, I'm perfectly content with what she needs to get her through the day, because it's not bothering anybody else.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:33 pm

Actually, Big Tobacco is a recent entry into e-cigs, and is selling low power, relatively ineffective e-cigs...kind of like the N-Joy and Blu. Heavily advertised, cigarette lookalikes.

An e-cig is a very simple machine. A battery, switch, atomizer (heats the glycerin to 180 degrees), and a method to deliver the glycerin to the atomizer. Most people could build one from easily available parts. The glycerin is available at most drugstores, nicotine is available from organic nurseries, or can easily be extracted from pipe or chewing tobacco, and the flavorings are regular food flavorings.

Truth is, no one is making big money out of these things yet, but Big Tobacco is trying.

As to the "haze", the heated glycerin is the same chemical and process as a fog machine on a smaller scale. This is safe. http://casaa.org/uploads/CDC-Report-Saf ... al-Fog.pdf The "second hand" nicotine exposure is miniscule (there is a study on it, but I can't find it right now).
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:53 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I'm not trying to take sides with this, but for the discussion, here's a letter to today's NY Times from the head of an anti-vaping group, offering their argument against E-cigs:

This letter to the editor is nothing but fear mongering. If anything these organizations should supporting e-cig use as an alternative to tobacco use. Claiming that they lead to cigarette smoking is just absurdity. It's the other way around.

Nicotine is not what is killing the cigarette smokers...its the tar from tobacco combustion and other 5,000 chemicals Big Tobacco adds to the product. If research finds out that e-cig vapor is as harmful as tobacco smoke, by all means bring out the pitchforks. Until then it is complete propaganda and fear mongering. Which unfortunately is working on the general population who are not very informed on the subject. :(
Previous