Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

NeilDSmith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:18 pm

Sellersburg

What has been lost and why others endure

by NeilDSmith » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:20 pm

What and why have some popular restaurants come and gone while others seem to defy evolution and continue to prosper. Your thoughts
Neil Smith
The Fireside Bar & Grill
Sellersburg, IN
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:03 pm

Because popularity and good management don't always coincide? Just a guess.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: What has been lost and why others endure

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:06 pm

NeilDSmith wrote:What and why have some popular restaurants come and gone while others seem to defy evolution and continue to prosper. Your thoughts

I think Steve Magruder hit it in one, although it would be awfully harsh to blame all restaurant failures on poor management.

Another way to put it might be that the culprit is almost invariably <b>cash flow</b>, although that still leaves deeper questions unanswered.

You have to be good enough to draw a crowd, and skilled enough to hold costs below revenues - at least in the longer term - without cutting so many corners that you're no longer good enough to draw a crowd.

How's that for a circular answer?

Then there are issues that lie outside this circle. Location, location, location. And do you have a product that people want, and enough of a crowd of potential supporters to make it happen in your particular niche? I've seen some excellent ethnic restaurants fail - Indian was tough in this market until the 1990s, and Greek always have been tough - because relatively few people here seemed to want those flavors. Pizza is popular, but it's hard to sell it if you're in the same block with an established, popular pizzeria. Or if you're trying to sell it in an out-of-the-way location where nobody goes.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:12 pm

The "buzz" seems critical - getting it going early, and keeping it. For the longer term, I think the ability of the chef to reinvent the menu is very important. Financially, Robin hit it on the head with the cash flow issue. The majority (admittedly an unscientific estimate) of new businesses of any type that fail typically do so because they have underestimated their cash needs in the first couple of years.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:18 pm

Steve Magruder wrote:Because popularity and good management don't always coincide? Just a guess.

These are definitely both required for a restaurant to succeed. Even if they both exist at Opening I think many restaurants let one inside or the other falter as time goes on. They either lose popularity do to the fact that they rest on their laurels and don't evolve as the customer base evolves or since they're making good money they get a little slack on the management side and let expenses creep upward so that if income drops a little they are losing money. Probably most restaurants failures fall into one or the other of these scenarios but I'm sure a few fall into both. One other possible explanation is undercapitalization at opening so they are unable to overcome the costs associated with ramping up to a level of normal operation.

There are exceptions of course. Several local restaurants that have closed recently had no outward signs of problems and closed very unexpectedly. To me the most surprising one was Azela's followed closely by Bahama Breeze and Harper's. The only one of these with a possible visible explanation (other than rumors) is Harper's since they rapidly reopened in a new format.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

Re: What has been lost and why others endure

by David Clancy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
NeilDSmith wrote:What and why have some popular restaurants come and gone while others seem to defy evolution and continue to prosper. Your thoughts

I think Steve Magruder hit it in one, although it would be awfully harsh to blame all restaurant failures on poor management.

Another way to put it might be that the culprit is almost invariably <b>cash flow</b>, although that still leaves deeper questions unanswered.

You have to be good enough to draw a crowd, and skilled enough to hold costs below revenues - at least in the longer term - without cutting so many corners that you're no longer good enough to draw a crowd.

How's that for a circular answer?

Then there are issues that lie outside this circle. Location, location, location. And do you have a product that people want, and enough of a crowd of potential supporters to make it happen in your particular niche? I've seen some excellent ethnic restaurants fail - Indian was tough in this market until the 1990s, and Greek always have been tough - because relatively few people here seemed to want those flavors. Pizza is popular, but it's hard to sell it if you're in the same block with an established, popular pizzeria. Or if you're trying to sell it in an out-of-the-way location where nobody goes.
Okay.....speaking as someone who owned a relatively good and marginally successfull place that has since fallen by the wayside, I would say you are all spot-on on your posts. The only thing I would add to location, capital, management, etc.,(all of which I am quite privey too) is that some people let their own passion and vision of a better future blind them to the cold reality that really surrounds them. Sometimes, it is just the wrong time.........
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

AlisonU

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:35 am

East End Louisville

by AlisonU » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:44 am

WHY ? B-C'AUSE MONEY,PRETTY-NESS,AND TODAY'S2007 WANT IT ALL-EVERYONE IS MORE,MORE MORE. ALI -FORMOR FLIGHT ATENDANT 1991-2005.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:26 am

*scratches eyes* Huh? I think I got that. Mostly...
no avatar
User

Chris Dunn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:34 pm

Shepherdsville

by Chris Dunn » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:45 pm

Don't drink and post, kids. And stay in school.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:34 pm

Chris Dunn wrote:Don't drink and post, kids. And stay in school.

Watch treats, floss regularly, and get a checkup every six months. :)
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

by Sonja W » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:09 pm

And don't run with scissors. Especially through drafts.
no avatar
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:13 pm

AlisonU wrote:WHY ? B-C'AUSE MONEY,PRETTY-NESS,AND TODAY'S2007 WANT IT ALL-EVERYONE IS MORE,MORE MORE. ALI -FORMOR FLIGHT ATENDANT 1991-2005.
Damn......I should have been a flight attendant instead, as it sounds like much more fun then doing that restaurant thing!!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

NeilDSmith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:18 pm

Sellersburg

by NeilDSmith » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:05 am

Understanding that intelligent mangement is a given, I am amazed at the timeless concepts, like Pats and Linings to name a few, that seem to have changed very little over time and flourish were most retail concepts need constant evolving to stay active in the market. What do timeless concepts that change very little have?
Neil Smith
The Fireside Bar & Grill
Sellersburg, IN
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:16 am

NeilDSmith wrote:Understanding that intelligent mangement is a given, I am amazed at the timeless concepts, like Pats and Linings to name a few, that seem to have changed very little over time and flourish were most retail concepts need constant evolving to stay active in the market. What do timeless concepts that change very little have?

That's an intriguing question, Neil. I think you've hit on something important there, but it's hard to define. I'd say that in some way both Pat's and Mike Linnig's have turned themselves into "traditions," the kind of experience that people remember fondly (and so do our parents) and that we really would not want to see change in any significant way.

But to earn that status, you have to be so long-lived that you've built a generation of memories, so it's kind of circular: What do you have to do in the first place to be able to last that long? Consistency and being great at what you do, I guess.
no avatar
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

A thought

by jpdurbin » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:09 pm

I have noticed two restaurants fade for relocating to the east side… Chicos was doing well in the SW end of town but decided to move to the richer side of town. They lost their customer base and had to start a new one in a higher rent district then failed. Kim’s moved from E. Market to the higher rent district on Frankfort Ave. They also lost costumers and much money to rent then eventually moved back losing their new customers from Frankfort Ave.

OK, what should a restaurant do? Expand or relocate? I know over expanding thins out the oversight but can add to the revenue. Relocating also has its issues.
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
Next