Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Suggestions For Anniversary Dinner

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:19 pm

Kim H wrote:Corbett's is definitely on my radar. Guess we need to make up our minds quickly. Another idea I had, but would love input. Thoughts on Volare?

Volare is good, too. Chef Josh Moore cooks Italian so well you'd think he has a vowel on the end of his name. Oh, wait ...
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:20 pm

I think first you have to figure out if you want a truly "special" occasion, or if you want a fine dinner with your spouse.

Volare will give you a fine dinner; Corbetts (or some of the other ideas) will be truly special.

A different way to look at things: I might go to Volare for a 19th anniversary, or a 43rd birthday, but would go to Corbetts et al for a 20th anniversary or 30th birthday. Actually, for a 25th ann. or a 50th bday I'd probably go for the hotel/dinner package!
Andrew Mellman
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:39 pm

The hotel/dinner package would be incredibly fun, and a great idea, but we're just going to stick with dinner. And my husband kind of said the same thing - "Volare seems wonderful, but not sure it would live up to the occasion." Might go back to the Corbett's idea. I really appreciate the input! :)
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:34 pm

Kim, We have had many special birthday and anniversary celebrations at Volare and they have all been wonderful!!! Plus, they have excellent veal piccata :wink: ! I would also second Gayle's recommendtion for La Chasse as a great choice!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:59 pm

Carol C wrote:Kim, We have had many special birthday and anniversary celebrations at Volare and they have all been wonderful!!! Plus, they have excellent veal piccata :wink: ! I would also second Gayle's recommendtion for La Chasse as a great choice!

Maybe we're different; I don't know.

Both Volare and La Chasse are great places that we love, but for an anniversary they leave something to be desired, namely the quality of peace, quiet, and romance! Not that Corbett's is silent, but depending on the night you may have to shout across the table to your spouse at the others!
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:10 pm

Hey! Is there any reason that no one has mentioned Seviche yet? That would very likely be (and in fact, has been) at or near the top of my list for anniversaries, birthdays, and similar special occasions.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:20 pm

I had dinner a special dinner on the patio at Crobett's earlier this month. I loved the menu, but my Moscow Mule was a total wash out. I could not detect any taste of ginger beer. That pasta of the wild mushroom ravioli was tough, like the dough had been way over cooked. Considered the price, I don't think I'll be going bacck there very soon.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:33 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Lol.

So Gayle doesn't like 211, 610, or Corbett's. Any other long established/proven top tier Louisville restaurants we should avoid? :roll:

Haha. Just what I was thinking. Gayle, how you can type with a straight finger and suggest this couple NOT visit 610, especially if they haven't dined there before? LaChasse is great but its another fine dinning restaurant. 610 is absolute culinary experience that you won't find anywhere in Louisville. Good grief. :roll:
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:45 pm

Lol.

So Gayle doesn't like 211, 610, or Corbett's. Any other long established/proven top tier Louisville restaurants we should avoid? :roll:
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:52 pm

I love the input! Was wondering about the crickets yesterday :wink: We have a lot going on, and don't really want to head downtown this weekend. Here's my current short list I came up with:

Corbett's
Seviche
Anoosh Bistro
La Chasse

We put 1860, Volare, LouVino, and Artesano on the back burner. (other places I considered)

Also, any thoughts or feedback on La Brasserie? It crossed my mind.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:24 pm

Kim H wrote:Here's my current short list I came up with:

Corbett's
Seviche
Anoosh Bistro
La Chasse

All those places are worthy, but I've got to go with Seviche for a special occasion - be sure to let Chef Anthony Lamas know that it IS a special occasion. I'm pretty sure you won't be sorry.

Also, any thoughts or feedback on La Brasserie? It crossed my mind.

I like it, but I'm not sure it ranks with your final four. I assume you meant Brasserie Provence.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:50 pm

I know Seviche and Anthony are amazing, but after reviewing their menu again, it seems very seafood-heavy. It's not that we don't like seafood, but my husband would be more inclined to go for beef, lamb, or pork. Is the online menu perhaps misrepresenting their typical options? I glanced at FB photos as well, and got the same impression.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:04 pm

Kim H wrote:I know Seviche and Anthony are amazing, but after reviewing their menu again, it seems very seafood-heavy. It's not that we don't like seafood, but my husband would be more inclined to go for beef, lamb, or pork. Is the online menu perhaps misrepresenting their typical options? I glanced at FB photos as well, and got the same impression.

Kim, there are just about always a steak dish or two, a chicken dish, even an interesting, chef-driven vegetarian dish. But yes, it's mostly seafood, because that's what they do. :) With Seviche's high level of service, it might be interesting to see how they respond to that question if you ask them in advance. They might propose something out of the ordinary for your husband.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:18 pm

Thanks, Robin! I know that's what they do, but haven't been there in a while, and am specifically thinking of hubby for this venture. Yeah, I'm a good wife :wink: But I'll call tomorrow when they're not busy and see what they might offer, thanks!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:39 pm

For what it's worth we dined at Corbett's after derby and despite the fact they were packed to the rafters we had a truly remarkable meal. Our drinks were simple bourbon or scotch rocks so no problems there. It ranks in my top 5 for local dining.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
PreviousNext