Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Priceline is buying OpenTable

no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Priceline is buying OpenTable

by Mark R. » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:02 pm

Was announced this morning that Priceline is going to buy OpenTable for $2.6 billion! I don't know about anyone else but I don't see anything good coming out of this transaction as far as consumers and restaurants are concerned.

Here's the article http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/13/technology/priceline-opentable/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: Priceline is buying OpenTable

by Jay M. » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:45 am

My buddy, Matt, sent this along via email:

Matt Roberts wrote:Hi Jay,

I want to share that today OpenTable announced that it has entered into an agreement to be acquired by The Priceline Group. OpenTable will continue to operate as an independent brand focused on providing you with great dining experiences. Everything you love about OpenTable will stay the way you like it: free, easy-to-use and constantly improving. You'll have the same real-time availability at more than 31,000 restaurants worldwide, the same super-convenient mobile apps and the same rewarding points program. We will also continue to rollout our new payment product that lets you easily pay with your OpenTable mobile app without asking for the check.

Happy dining,

Matt Roberts
CEO, OpenTable
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:57 am

Jay M. wrote:My buddy, Matt, sent this along via email:

Hey, Matt is my buddy, too! He sent me the same thing! :mrgreen:

Our buddy Matt wrote:everything you love about OpenTable will stay the way you like it

I remember when Gannett Corp bigwig Al Neuharth said something very much like that in the news room at The Courier-Journal. :P
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I remember when Gannett Corp bigwig Al Neuharth said something very much like that in the news room at The Courier-Journal. :P

Has anyone ever seen a company that got bought out remain the same? It just doesn't happen, the company that bought them wants to make money as a result of the purchase and will do anything I have to, to accomplish that.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Mark R. wrote:Has anyone ever seen a company that got bought out remain the same? It just doesn't happen

Has anyone ever seen a company that didnt get bought remain the same? I havent, they all adapt or die.

Specifically with Robin's example, the true independent newspapers have had to radically change to survive too.