Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Eggs Over Frankfort opening Monday morning

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:54 am

So says the sign on the door, and it looks ready. Cleaned up a bit but still showing pretty much the same scene as Fat Jimmy's. Next door to Heine Bros., 2712 Frankfort Ave., Monday, June 16 at 8 a.m. Who's in? :mrgreen:

EggsOverFrankfort.jpg
Eggs Over Frankfort, 2712 Frankfort Ave.
EggsOverFrankfort.jpg (60.94 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Eggs Over Frankfort opening Monday morning

by Mike D » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:19 am

I stuck my head in the door a day or two ago while walking the Avenue. It does look a lot like the Fat Jimmy's configuration.

I plan to give them a try sooner rather than later. Hope they're successful.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:32 am

Maybe we'll see you there, Mike! I want to try it sooner, too. It's right in our neighborhood, and we're in that Heine Bros all the time. :oops:
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike D » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:04 am

I gave it a try this morning. They were almost 100% full at 9:00 - including two groups dining outside. A mix of tie-wearing business types, families with small children and old folks like me.

I kept it simple - eggs over easy, breakfast potatoes and sourdough toast. The eggs were cooked perfectly. The potatoes were just like Mom used to fix - real slices of potato cooked with onions.

They scored extra points for the toast (served hot, not lukewarm) and for the robust coffee. Service was attentive despite the opening-morning crowd - my coffee cup never got below half full.

My tab was $8 plus tax - a fair price for a well-prepared breakfast.

I'll probably be a regular customer.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:13 am

$8? That sounds awesome. I believe Rick Adams (formerly of L&N Wine Bar and Exchange Pub + Kitchen) is heading up the kitchen there, too.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:03 am

Marsha L. wrote:$8? That sounds awesome.

I agree that isn't a bad price but isn't that awesome either considering it didn't have any breakfast meeting included. $8 for eggs, potatoes and toast is pretty normal around town.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:19 am

Mark R. wrote:

I agree that isn't a bad price but isn't that awesome either considering it didn't have any breakfast meeting included. $8 for eggs, potatoes and toast is pretty normal around town.

I missed that, but looking at their menu, bacon or sausage add $3 to the bill. $11 is still pretty good for a huge breakfast. I love Wild Eggs, but I never get out of there for under $15. I agree you can probably get breakfast at Denny's, Waffle House or the Twig for around the same price.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike D » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Mark R. wrote:

Point of clarification - the $8 tab included $2 for the excellent coffee. The food was $6. I ordered piecemeal - I believe it was $2 each for eggs, potatoes and toast.

For $6.50 they provide two eggs, bacon or sausage, a side (those just-like-Mom-used-to-make potatoes :D ) and toast. I don't eat meat but the bacon looked and smelled delicious.

I don't usually put sweet stuff on toast, but I've heard that their apple butter (which I believe is homemade) is very good.

As a point of comparison, I met a friend for lunch today at the Cafe on Brent Street. I ordered their $6.95 breakfast for lunch. Almost identical to EoF's - two eggs, bacon or sausage, roasted potatoes, toast and a fruit garnish. The eggs were perfectly prepared and the potatoes were fine (but not like Mom's). A big demerit for toast that was lukewarm-to-cold (a big pet peeve of mine as far as restaurant breakfast is concerned). Coffee was good but I reached the bottom of the cup a couple times. But in the server's defense, they were slammed.
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:10 pm

I think we need a poll on what meal most people prefer when going out to a restaurant. My kids always want to go out to eat breakfast. I just don't get it. It seems the easiest meal to whip up at home. But I am not in the majority in my household!
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:44 pm

Looking for forward to trying "Eggs Over Frankfort". As to being an easy meal to prepare ,breakfast is far from it. Timing is everything, eggs are finicky. Omelets have to come out at the same time as pancakes, gravy has to be hot, and the grill has to be immaculate, as eggs pick up every fleck of bacon grease and anything else. We only do Saturday breakfast, but we have rarely found comparable, fairly priced places as good as "we" think ours is."Its only Breakfast" people say, but this meal is a subtle delicate art that many otherwise decent places find hard to execute. My biggest pet peeve is paying big prices for breakfast and waiting for much more than fifteen minutes. "Eggs" sounds very reasonable. We will be there Sundays and wish them the best of luck. Hooray for more breakfast choices.