Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

How well do restaurant patios and smoking coexist?

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:02 pm

Hey, gang! I'd like to take an in-depth look at the evolution of the city's no-smoking law for restaurants and bars.

When the law came into place, I assumed that this would spell the loss of outdoor dining - patios, gardens, sidewalk tables - for comfortable dining for those who don't care for second-hand smoke.

But now I'm curious. A couple of years after the ban, how is it working out in practice? I know a few spots - including Decca and, during its life as an eatery, Bank Street - had no-smoking patios. And to its credit, Village Anchor Pub & Roost does an awesome job of ventilation on its lanai.

But we've also read complaints about The Brewery's otherwise delightful patio being uninhabitable for non-smokers.

So, how is it working out otherwise around town? Can smokers and non-smoking folks who want to dine al fresco coexist? Or is this impossible?

The more specifics the better. Bring 'em on!
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: How well do restaurant patios and smoking coexist?

by Steve Shade » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:47 pm

I would prefer non smoking on patios, however unless I am seated right next to a smoker it really doesn't bother me. As a result I will continue to eat outside whenever the weather is suitable.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:04 pm

Many times I find it frustrating when the outside that somebody is right next to you smoking. Some places are pretty good, some places aren't. I personally think the law should be expanded that any area where food is served is a non-smoking area! I think the example you cited about the Village anchor is interesting, is the lanai really outside and exempt? It's a permanent structure so I really wonder how it would be considered if somebody from Metro government really looked at it. Selena's also has a similar area but I believe they don't allow any smoking in that space or at least are never has been any when we've been there.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Sara R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:23 am

by Sara R » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:29 pm

As I said with respect to The Brewery, I do not find dining next to smokers outdoors particularly enjoyable and tend to avoid it at all costs. Back when Maido was open, we would love to sit outside on their patio. However, we would often have to cut our meal short as we found ourselves surrounded by smokers. Rather than being able to relax and enjoy our meal, we would pretty much call for our check and leave. With so much of the tasting experience influenced by smell, we feel our food just simply doesn't taste as good mixed with cigarette smoke, so there's really no point in sticking around.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Sara R wrote:As I said with respect to The Brewery, I do not find dining next to smokers outdoors particularly enjoyable and tend to avoid it at all costs. Back when Maido was open, we would love to sit outside on their patio. However, we would often have to cut our meal short as we found ourselves surrounded by smokers. Rather than being able to relax and enjoy our meal, we would pretty much call for our check and leave. With so much of the tasting experience influenced by smell, we feel our food just simply doesn't taste as good mixed with cigarette smoke, so there's really no point in sticking around.

^ This.

Fortunately most restaurants my wife and I frequent either have smoking bans in their outdoor areas as well, or the crowd tends to be smart enough to understand smoking=death and simply refrains.
I wont subject myself or my family to it outdoors or not. It stinks to high heaven and ruins the meal for me.

If a restaurant wants to allow it, thats their choice. But there are enough wonderful options in this city, that in all likelihood I wont come back to their location.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Doug Davis wrote:Fortunately most restaurants my wife and I frequent either have smoking bans in their outdoor areas as well

Would you mind naming some of them, Doug? Here in the thread if you'd like to publicize them, or PM if you prefer? I'd like to get some specific examples.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:56 am

Equus/Jack's Lounge does not permit smoking on their patio.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:06 am

Huzzah for this well-informed policy, Gary! Do you happen to know if the same applies at Corbett's?
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:06 am

I am 98% sure it does- I will check to make sure.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:11 am

In Lexington - in the summer - Azur has three patios. While this is not 100%, there appears to be a real effort to make one non-smoking, one smoking, and the space in the center either mixed or (if there is a band) open for dancing.
Andrew Mellman
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Huzzah for this well-informed policy, Gary! Do you happen to know if the same applies at Corbett's?

:roll: ....Gee Robin, my initial read of your O.P. left me with the impression that you were preparing to write a well rounded article on outdoor smoking, taking into consideration both sides of the debate. Well "Huzzah"...After reading your response to Gary I'm left preparing for another one of the local fish wraps patented -one- sided presentations of opinions and "where'd you here that" facts.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:09 pm

Steve P wrote: both sides of the debate.

I think the debate is pretty much over. Nobody needs to have rude yahoos blowing carcinogenic fumes at them in public. <shrug>
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve P wrote: both sides of the debate.

I think the debate is pretty much over. Nobody needs to have rude yahoos blowing carcinogenic fumes at them in public. <shrug>

Righhhhht....especially while they are sitting on some restaurant patio on Bardstown Road or Frankfort Ave enjoying their cappuccino and the fumes of a thousand cars and buses.... :roll: :lol:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:22 pm

Gonna have to do better than "but gee mom, all the other kids are doing it too!" argument. :lol:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:08 am

Selena's at Willow Lake allows smoking on their patio. I noted a lone party of two implementing said policy (over and over and over again) this evening.
Next