Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

P.F. Chang's China Bistro - Data Breach

by Steve P » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:49 am

P.F. Chang's China Bistro said Wednesday it is investigating a report of a possible data breach involving credit and debit card data that may have been stolen from its restaurant locations nationwide.

The report came from cybersecurity blogger Brian Krebs, who has uncovered previous data breaches at retailers such as Target.

His website, KrebsOnSecurity, said customer data from thousands of credit and debit cards previously used at P.F. Chang's restaurants went up for sale on an underground store best known for selling data from tens of millions of cards stolen in the Target breach.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus ... /10318193/

...and the hits keep coming.
Last edited by Steve P on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Chang's China Bistro - Data Breach

by Steve Shade » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:52 pm

I have the cure for these data breaches.

CASH
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Chang's China Bistro - Data Breach

by Steve P » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:12 pm

Steve Shade wrote:I have the cure for these data breaches.

CASH

Steve, I have found myself paying cash much more frequently than I had in the past....As much as anything else, I do so because I don't like my credit card out of my sight while in the hands of someone whom I neither know or trust.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

Re: P.F. Chang's China Bistro - Data Breach

by Rob Coffey » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:41 pm

Question I have...is there some legal reason that they keep this info around? I realize it needs to be kept for a while in case of disputes or whatever, but do most places delete it after 90 days or so or is it kept forever?

Edit: And, as a follow up, does the whole number even need to be kept for that reason, or just some subset?
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:05 pm

Ideally they would truncate or hash the card number and not store it unless absolutely necessary, along with no other identifiable card stuff like cvv or expiration or the like, but if the point of sale system/server itself is compromised then it doesn't really matter at all.

Checking for updates on Krebs security site, it looks like they're going over to oldschool manual imprinter card thingies, hope they safely dispose of the paper copies or they're just going to have an even bigger mess.
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:42 pm

I know credit card breaches tend to get most of the press, but I'd be more worried about compromised bank and/or financial accounts. You can monitor your credit card statements monthly and very easily limit your liability.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:36 pm

I only have 1 credit card with a limited (very limited) ceiling on it I use ONLY for on line purchases. Everything else is cash. My life is so much easier.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:17 pm

You're going to see this from most of the restaurants that use this same card swiping manufacturer. There's plenty of info on the darker parts of the net about how the machines themselves are compromised

Edit: Compromised _at the manufacturer level_.