Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Marty Rosen

User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Marty Rosen

by Steve Shade » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:13 pm

Eater/Louisville is reporting that Marty Rosens last dining column will be June 26. The column will be taken over by Nancy Miller.

Maybe not so coincidentally, seven editors have been let go from the Courier Journal according to Business First and confirmed by some of the editors.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

Re: Marty Rosen

by Lonnie Turner » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:46 pm

Courier-Journal! Are you sure that's still around? Do you mean the USA Today Louisville edition? Or have they still not changed their name?
User

Don Wagaman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 am

by Don Wagaman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:54 pm

I believe the C-J is currently planning on manufacturing buggy whips...

Journalism, spooked by rumors of its own obsolescence, has stopped believing in itself. Groans of doom alternate with panicked happy talk. - Maureen Dowd
gastrobubba

I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage. - Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:09 pm

Steve Shade wrote:The column will be taken over by Nancy Miller.

Seriously? She's a PR person. I guess that makes sense, in a sad way.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:50 am

I wish Marty well where ever he lands.
As far as the CJ, I'm surprised they are not outsourcing their reviews to someone in India.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:46 am

My best wishes are sent to Marty as he goes on to the next chapter, which I'm sure he will do with is usual style and grace!

As for the pitiful excuse of bird cage lining that the CJ has turned into, I must admit (as one who trained in the journalistic art in college) I'm deeply saddened, and downright pissed off that a city the size of Louisville doesn't have a major flagship daily newspaper that we can 1) depend on for the daily LOCAL new, and 2) show pride in as we once did the CJ&T.

Alas, as with most everything else, the almighty dollar has taken forefront in the corporate eyes without regard to the proper abilities to disseminate the days events without putting a personal spin on it.

I cancelled my subscription to the CJ several years ago. For the social scene, I rely on the Voice and Leo. For hard news, the internet and newscasts. I very much miss stretching out on the sofa on Sunday morning with Percy on my lap and a cup of coffee in hand going thru a good news paper. Sunday's have gotten a bit more bleak because of this fact. But as my dear Grandmother used to say "you can't fight progress, all you can do is remember with a smile what it was like and move on".

Off the check my daily news feeds! :|
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:36 am

Steve Shade wrote:Eater/Louisville is reporting that Marty Rosens last dining column will be June 26. The column will be taken over by Nancy Miller.

Maybe not so coincidentally, seven editors have been let go from the Courier Journal according to Business First and confirmed by some of the editors.

I heard about this yesterday on NPR. I was hoping they wouldn't whittle-down the foodie content more.

I guess I have my answer.

:(
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:15 pm

I always enjoyed reading Marty's stuff...he will be missed.

Maybe he will start a foodie forum :wink:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:06 pm

Dropped my subscription to the C-J last year after they couldn't be bothered to deliver it to me an average of 4 days a week - and when they did, the content wasn't worth the effort of opening the front door and picking it up.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:58 pm

The newspaper that once gave us Camille Glenn has come to this.

*sigh*
no avatar
User

Carole C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 15, 2009 7:00 am

by Carole C » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:59 am

His last three reviews have been four stars - Hillbilly Tea, Harvest and today, Seviche. So it seems he has carefully picked his last reviews so that he will go out with a bang. Good for him! Should we place bets on what his last one will be? Proof? Corbett's?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:03 am

He might turn it all around and write up a beloved old family place serving "Southern" fare. I've always felt he has a special soft spot in his heart for such.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:05 am

Carole C wrote:His last three reviews have been four stars - Hillbilly Tea, Harvest and today, Seviche. So it seems he has carefully picked his last reviews so that he will go out with a bang. Good for him! Should we place bets on what his last one will be? Proof? Corbett's?

Hey that's what I would do! Maybe The Place Downstairs (again, just to be sure) :lol:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:24 am

Carla G wrote:Hey that's what I would do! Maybe The Place Downstairs (again, just to be sure) :lol:

Thinking back on it, I believe my last column wasn't a standard review but an overview looking back over my 1984-1990 tenure and marveling at all the changes I'd seen. :mrgreen:

Hard to believe that I put down my pen and walked out of the CJ building over twe- twen- aaagggh twenty-four years ago. There are probably people on this forum who weren't born then. :oops: