Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

Re: Food safety good, Listeria bad.

by Steve H » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:20 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:
Steve A wrote: The FDA will engage with the artisanal cheese-making community to determine whether certain types of cheeses can safely be made by aging them on wooden shelving."

I have yet to see them, and like with other regulations that are not scientifically based I will just have to believe they are in place to support the producers with the largest capital and who partake in the revolving door that exists between the Department of Agriculture and the industry that it regulates.

Yes. Government regulation always falls heaviest on small business. Yet, somehow this is twisted into "the government is protecting the little guy".
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Hope you like Velveeta

by Iggy C » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:13 pm

That Velveeta lobbying budget paid off this time, didn't it? Regulatory capture is definitely a real problem. Government shouldn't be allowed to be corrupted by the industries it's supposed to regulate. Tougher restrictions on lobbying and reversal of Citizens United would be a good start, otherwise the big companies will always be writing anti-competitive laws in their favor against small business owners.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:24 am

Iggy C wrote:That Velveeta lobbying budget paid off this time, didn't it? Regulatory capture is definitely a real problem. Government shouldn't be allowed to be corrupted by the industries it's supposed to regulate.

Do you have evidence that is the case in this situation?
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:53 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
Iggy C wrote:That Velveeta lobbying budget paid off this time, didn't it? Regulatory capture is definitely a real problem. Government shouldn't be allowed to be corrupted by the industries it's supposed to regulate.

Do you have evidence that is the case in this situation?

I disagree that Citizen's United has anything to do with regulatory capture. No one contributes directly to regulators. That is a crime with or without Citizen's United.

One clear sign of regulatory capture, is how administrators and executives rotate back and forth between government and the larger regulated companies.

This is from the first Forbes article linked by Madeline (bold is mine):
In response, Monica Metz, Branch Chief of the FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition’s Dairy and Egg Branch (and a former employee of Leprino) wrote:

The use of wooden shelves, rough or otherwise, for cheese ripening does not conform to [Current Good Manufacturing Practices], which require that “all plant equipment and utensils shall be so designed and of such material and workmanship as to be adequately cleanable, and shall be properly maintained.

Here's some info on Leprino Foods. I'm betting no wooden shelves in the place. Oh, and here's something from the front page of their website: "THE WORLD'S LARGEST PRODUCER OF MOZZARELLA CHEESE".
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:12 am

I don't know what's going on with these regulations BUT I DO remember when several members that sat on the board of the USDA that drew up the food pyramids (recommending how how much of each food group we should be consuming, and distributed nationwide and taken as gospel) were found to be share/stock holders in Dannon, Kraft and other major dairy suppliers. They got a slap on the hand for that. No wonder people question some of these government interventions.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Previous