Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Blaze Pizza open. FREE pizza tomorrow, June 10 ...

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:24 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:1. I concur with your analysis

2. However, I'm not sure which chain came first; in other words, Blaze may have been unique to the pizza category when they started, and likely still are "unique" for pizza in 97% of the country.

Fair point! I think we're on slightly different trains of thought. I was looking at the "fresh" concept with the cafeteria-style line and a dish prepared to order as you watch as a maturing concept that started with burritos, then came to tacos, and only belatedly to pizza.

As for fresh-service pizza, Blaze started in 2012 in Irvine, Calif. Uncle Maddio's started in 2009 in Atlanta. Its founder came from Moe's, so it's not hard to figure how the idea of bringing the fast concept to pizza got into his mind. ;)
no avatar
User

Kari L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by Kari L » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:53 am

Uncle Maddio's also makes a conscious effort to do the gluten free pizza right, by avoiding cross contamination. They even have a separate container of sauce and a separate ladle that they use the spread the sauce on a GF crust. The website for Blaze warns you that they use the same press for GF dough as for wheat-based dough. That makes me a little nervous. If they don't at least clean it first, then I might as well be eating the wheat-based dough, and they might as well not even bother with gluten free. I would hope they clean it, but the website said nothing of that.
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:57 pm

RonnieD wrote:I don't get the "Fire'd." ??? What's that apostrophe doing there? What is being abbreviated and how? Fire would? Fire did? Fire had? http://realgrammar.wordpress.com/apostrophes/ No letters are being replaced or omitted (See #2)

I'm not taking free pizza from a business that doesn't even understand punctuation...

It makes about as much sense as this: KFC Yum! Center
BShep
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:16 am

RonnieD wrote:It's like Puccini's and those creepy "smiling teeth" trying to sell me spaghetti and meatballs.

It's not showing up in the Google results now, and perhaps Puccini's changed their website domain name as well, but I accidentally landed on a site early on that was obviously not the right one- it was about people who enjoy getting bit by animals...
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:28 am

Bryan Shepherd wrote:It makes about as much sense as this: KFC Yum! Center

I was at the Allison Krauss & Willie Nelson concert at the Waterfront last Friday. If Allison and her band made one YUM Center joke, they made a dozen. That thing is literally making a laughingstock of Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:01 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
Bryan Shepherd wrote:It makes about as much sense as this: KFC Yum! Center

I was at the Allison Krauss & Willie Nelson concert at the Waterfront last Friday. If Allison and her band made one YUM Center joke, they made a dozen. That thing is literally making a laughingstock of Louisville.

Irrespective of the silly corporate moniker, it's bad architecture, a gigantic replica of either a toaster oven or an old dot-matrix printer, or perhaps the offspring of an unnatural union between those two things. And the rows of little corporate icons slapped on the walls make it look like a Windows XP desktop. :P

And don't even get me started about Yum's balance-sheet mentality leading all their brands on a race to the bottom as far as quality is concerned.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:56 am

If country-western folk are mocking you, you know you have problems...

MarieP, the "smiling teeth" are conspicuously absent from the St. Matthews location (thankfully), but it is a BIG part of their brand identity. Bizarre. (be careful out there in the wilds of the interweb)
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:20 am

Robin Garr wrote:Irrespective of the silly corporate moniker, it's bad architecture, a gigantic replica of either a toaster oven or an old dot-matrix printer, or perhaps the offspring of an unnatural union between those two things. And the rows of little corporate icons slapped on the walls make it look like a Windows XP desktop.

Thanks Robin! You've added a couple of other names that I hadn't heard of before for that monstrosity! I had the dotmatrix printer comparison more of the XP desktop but the desktop is certainly a very appropriate description!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:25 pm

We were in the area so we decided to try Blaze for lunch today. It's a very nice laid out facility with lots of eager to help employees working. We gather about 1 o'clock and there was a short line but nothing unmanageable and plenty of seating available. The process is very simple to order your pizza, you just go down the line like you would at Subway, Moes, Qdoba, etc. and tell the employees what you want on your pizza. An 11 inch pie is $7.69 for a number of toppings. They say the pizza cook in 180 seconds which is about right because by the time you get your drink your pizza is ready!

As far as quality goes, the toppings all appear to be very good quality and the finished pie was quite good. The crust is thin but not really crispy nor was it soggy. I certainly wouldn't compare it at all to Coal's in any way except for the size of the finished pie unlike one of the previous posters.

Will we go there again, probably. But we go out of our way to go there for pizza, definitely not. It's just one of many local choices for a decent filling lunch at a reasonable price.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:27 pm

We had lunch at Blaze today, and really, really liked it. Thin crust, blisters from the heat on top, fresh ingredients, and can't beat the speed. Liked the decor and it was very clean. Of course all the line prep people were wearing the required gloves and picking up food, then the handles of the peels, then food, then wiping that hand on their apron cause it had cheese stuck to it . . . (I could rant about the folly of gloves all day long. But I digress.) We both would have given it a perfect score, until the music blasted on. Turn down the *&^%*& music. We will be back. We made a morning of wandering around World Market (I'd never been there), Trader Joe's and Blaze. Now, if there was only a bookstore . . .
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Leah S wrote:. Now, if there was only a bookstore . . .

I was under the impression that no one under 50 actually read (real) "books" anymore...I thought all the cool kids were now just "downloading material" to their "device". :?
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:01 pm

I resemble that remark. I am tethered to my Kindle, tablet and phone. They have nearly become body parts. And just to bring this back to food - pizza!
Previous