Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Ice cream! Who's best of the Top Three?

Graeter's
38%
Comfy Cow
54%
Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen
8%

Total votes : 37
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Monday Poll! Top ice cream shop

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:01 am

Okay, now that everybody has had an enjoyable week of beating up on me over my arbitrary and capricious distinction between "pizzerias" and "restaurants that have pizza on the menu" :mrgreen: here's this week's chance to take another shot. :lol:

I'm looking for opinions on the city's best ice cream shop. But there's a twist. I'm looking strictly at the Big Three, the name brands that go city-wide: Graeter's, Comfy Cow and Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen. No Dairy Del, no Polly's Freeze, no Dairy Kastle. Not this week, anyway. Maybe another time we can do a canonical roster of ice creameries for another poll. But this time it's just the big three, and just one vote. Whose (ice) cream will reign supreme?
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Monday Poll! Top ice cream shop

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:30 am

Best shop, all around: Comfy Cow.

Best single flavor among the three, though, goes to Graeter's Blackberry Chocolate Chip.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:59 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Best shop, all around: Comfy Cow.

Best single flavor among the three, though, goes to Graeter's Blackberry Chocolate Chip.

Funny you mention that, as Comfy Cow does a raspberry choc chip that's also awesome. I tend to find Graeter's gigantic chips over the top, but I know I am a minority on this. :lol:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:34 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Best shop, all around: Comfy Cow.

Funny you mention that, as Comfy Cow does a raspberry choc chip that's also awesome. I tend to find Graeter's gigantic chips over the top, but I know I am a minority on this. :lol:

The giant chocolate chunks are the main reason I voted for Graeters!

The second reason, tho, is that Graeter's bittersweet chocolate sauce is really their hot fudge poured cold . . . I love the thick fudginess, but dislike "normal" hot fudge in that it melts the ice cream.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Comfy Cow, Dulce de Leche de Salte. I want some NOW!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:06 pm

I know a lot of people really like Comfy Cow but personally I'll take Graters over them any day of the week. Many of the flavors of Comfy Cow are overly sweet and rich so they hardly even taste like ice cream. Graters on the other hand is the perfect blend of sweetness and isn't too rich. Like a previous poster mentioned I could eat their Raspberry chocolate chunk every day of the week! The varied sizes of the chunks makes it that much better. Of course pricing also is much better at Graters than it is at Comfy Cow. I like the ice cream at the Homemade Pie Kitchen but seem usually end up with a piece of cake when we end up there.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:38 pm

Graeters.. like the sorbet there also
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:29 am

Gimme the Cow, baby. Graeter's here is nowhere close to as good as Graeter's in Ohio. Not sure why that is.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:02 am

I voted for Comfy Cow but it was real close between CC and Graeter's. The raspberry chocolate chip at Graeter's is one of my all-time favorites, but I ended up voting for CC because their product, while a tad pricey, is also great, and I can walk down there on a warm summer evening...nothing beats an ice cream cone on the Avenue!
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:21 am

Personally, I really miss starlight frozen custard on shelbyville road.

Other than that we pretty much split our ice cream dollars between Comfy Cow and Dairy Queen. Nothing against Graeters or HICPK though, they all seem to have a pretty good product, just not as convenient to our location and ice cream isn't really something I will go out of the way for.