Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Northern Kentucky eatery abolishes tipping

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:50 am

What does everyone think? Is this a good idea? Would it work here?

Kentucky Restaurant Utilizes Interesting Alternative to Tipping

There's a Kentucky restaurant that has completely abolished tipping, and contrary to what you might expect, it actually looks like it might be great for their servers.

Since Packhouse Meats restaurant in Newport, Kentucky opened in January, it's had signs posting everywhere making clear that tips are not part of the transaction process. The credit card slips don't even leave a line for tips. You might think this would screw servers over...except Packhouse's owner, Bob Conway, actually did it in order to protect servers:

"I've heard the horror stories – $3 left on a $100 tab," he said. "How much a server makes has nothing to do with how hard they work. Servers had quit because they couldn't make ends meet."

I feel that so goddamn hard. Every server who's done the job for any extended period of time has at least one story like that — I had a family run my ass ragged for two hours at Applebee's and leave $5 on a $125 for no discernible reason other than simple fuckery.

The trick to what Conway is doing, however, is that it isn't a simple hourly: servers get paid either $10/hour OR 20% of their food sales, whichever is higher. Unsurprisingly to anyone who's ever worked as a server, Conway reports that it's almost always the over for servers.

Full story continues on Kitchenette ...
http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/kentucky ... 1587892563
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Northern Kentucky eatery abolishes tipping

by Carla G » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:44 am

This is going to get a great deal of comments with both sides weighing in equally I am guessing. I always thought that working from a percentage of food sales was a more equitable way to go but other, just as experienced, restaurant professionals disagree with me. (Shrugs) I worked at more middle of the road restaurants in my time. My fine dining experience was in management and not tips based so perhaps that why I have the viewpoint I do. I will say I was appalled at the number of diners I have spoken with over the years that simply do not tip. When I ask why they invariably say, " I don't believe in it. " (like THAT'S an answer!) I am all for charging those butts more money to dine when they walk through the door! :lol:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:18 am

My life would be infinitely simpler if I could abolish tips.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:38 am

I think in a past thread I posted to the blog of the guy who did that at one of his restaurants and why he thought it was a good idea.

The biggest thing I remember is who it pissed off -- people who want to be passive aggressive. They want to complain by leaving a small tip instead of, you know, talking to the manager. The place did a service charge, which they would waive for people who had issues. But that wasnt good enough for some customers.

The 2nd group that didnt like it were dirty old men who wanted to tip hot waitresses extra.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:57 pm

I did not read linked whole story, but question/request/comment:

- Was there an exodus of service staff? If so, were the departing servers the "good" ones?

- Post a pre- and post- tipping-abolishment menu with pricing. I'm just curious how such a policy is reflected in increased menu prices.

- " $10/hour OR 20% of their food sales, whichever is higher." That (the second part) sounds generous and, at first blush, seems to be a guaranteed 20% of check total amount that is arguably the norm in the prevalent tipping system, but that unfortunately, and reportedly, many competent servers don't receive from customers. Does the 20% pay to servers include alcohol? Doesn't sound like it. If the total tab is 20% to 50% alcohol, the 20% of "food sales" becomes 10 % to 15% or so percent of the total tab. I guess it depends on the type of restaurant and clientele to determine whether the servers are improving their lot over the current system.

I would really like to hear local servers' perspective on this.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:07 pm

Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"