Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Jeff Rubys?

no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

Jeff Rubys?

by Tony G » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:55 pm

Just wondering what the opinion is here of Jeff Rubys? We usually go to Pats but thinking we want to try the steaks at Rubys. Good? Bad?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Jeff Rubys?

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:14 pm

Ruby's is good, and it's expensive. Personally, I would choose it in an instant over Morton's or Ruth's Chris (or Eddie Merlot's). Put up against Pat's, it's going to be more an issue of style - and price - in my opinion. Pat's has that classic old Louisville vibe, and if you love that, you're going to find Ruby's different. If Pat's is Louisville, Ruby's is Vegas. And your bill at Ruby's will be higher. It certainly couldn't hurt to try Ruby's once, if you're prepared for the toll. You won't be disappointed with the food, I don't think, and you'll then know for yourself whether you like the overall feel of the place.

Don't forget other local steakhouses, too! Del Frisco's went through a down period for a few years (in my opinion), but it really rocked the last time I was there. Also Z's Oyster Bar and Steakhouse - two locations - which kind of disappointed my on my last visit but has tons of fans.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:08 pm

Agree with Robin on the "Vegas Vibe." It's very loud, hard to have a conversation, but that's part of what they're going for. A lot of people think it's fun (it's always jammed), but as many are turned off by the noise level.

One warning: I believe Ruby's is the only place in town that dry ages their steaks. That's a lot of the reason it's more expensive (standard wet aging in cryovac is cheaper, as there is little or no shrinkage), but also dry aging leaves steaks with a significantly deeper flavor than any wet aged meat. If you're not used to it, you may not like it at first, but it's the way a top steak is supposed to taste!

Have fun!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:40 pm

Love Ruby's. Always sit in the bar and watch Robbie Bartlett.

$40 NY Strip and a $20 Ruby Roll always fills us up. The drinks are where they get you.

http://www.robbiebartlett.com/
Last edited by JustinHammond on Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:16 am

Tony G wrote:Just wondering what the opinion is here of Jeff Rubys? We usually go to Pats but thinking we want to try the steaks at Rubys. Good? Bad?

I love it. Having moved here from Manhattan I would put it up against any NYC steakhouse any day. Other than maybe BLT Prime in Gramercy.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:38 am

Doug Davis wrote:
Tony G wrote:Just wondering what the opinion is here of Jeff Rubys? We usually go to Pats but thinking we want to try the steaks at Rubys. Good? Bad?

I love it. Having moved here from Manhattan I would put it up against any NYC steakhouse any day. Other than maybe BLT Prime in Gramercy.

The top NYC restaurants pretty much all dry age, so Ruby's has more of that flavor profile.
Andrew Mellman