Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

The Brewery at Baxter and Lexington

no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

The Brewery at Baxter and Lexington

by Marsha L. » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:24 pm

I know there's another thread about this, but it had devolved into a Popsicle-stick fight about burger prices, so I'm starting this new one in hopes folks will pay attention.

I'm kind of a picky b*tch about food and service, as you can probably tell from some of my columns and posts.

After we were turned rudely away from another metro establishment because they "don't take reservations after 5", we ended up at The Brewery instead.

At The Brewery, everything, from the initial phone call to the goodbye-let-me-open-that-door-for-you, was pretty flawless. I hate to gush because I don't often gush, but if the food was awesome, the service was right up there on point with the menu items.

Nicely played, Dean Corbett, Shawn Ward and Brian Flowers. Whatever you're doing, you're doing it right.

Duck fat tater tots. Swordfish with mango basmati rice. Short ribs with mash and cucumbers. Dreamsicle ice cream. Nick the server, if I could clone you and send you out to train every server in this town I would gladly commit a medical crime.

Go there. Don't walk, run.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: The Brewery at Baxter and Lexington

by Mark R. » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:40 pm

Thanks for the tip Marsha!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:46 pm

And, you know - I should explain about the first restaurant. If you're full, you're full, and after 6 on a Saturday night might be a silly time to call to see if they had room, but I wanted to eat there, so I tried. You can't pull tables out of your butt, and if your place is doing that well then I'm happy for you, and I understand if you can't seat me. Just tell whoever's answering the phone not to follow "we don't take reservations after five" with a stony silence. Instead, how about "we're so sorry, we look forward to seeing you again next time!"? I'm sure they WERE full. I just didn't appreciate being treated like a toddler trying to steal from the cookie jar.

To be clear, first restaurant = unrevealed
Second restaurant where we ate and we loved it = The Brewery
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:56 am

We went this past week. As Marsha said the food and service were awesome. Shawn and Dean were both in the house and things were moving along marvelously.

Only had two sour notes.

1. Duck fat tater tots. While it sounded amazing, taking regular store bought bland tasteless frozen tater tots and frying them in duck fat really doesnt add much to them. Even with the house made ketchup. Especially not at the price on the menu. Tater tots are become the 2014 version of last years brussel sprouts. They are everywhere. (Just saw them at O'Sheas tonight as well) But if you are going to do them, you damn well better make them in house. Otherwise dont bother.

2. Smoking on the back deck. I realize this is Kentucky, where people are proud of their cancer rates and emphysema, and wear them like a badge of honor. But personally eating out with my family, at a nicer establishment, only to watch two parents light up on the deck in front of their own child and then have to have their smoke mixed in with the flavor of my food....well it ruins it for me.
A burger with a dash of Marlboro light just doesnt do it for me. :evil:
And while I would love to make The Brewery my summer deck go to spot (as it has more room than Holy Grale) I simply cant as long as they allow smoking on the deck.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:25 am

First off, Marsha, Thanks for picking up the positive gauntlet on the Brewery. As the original poster of the thread that went south, I greatly appreciate you setting the record straight.

Secondly, I am going to pick up where I left off before I was so, ah hum, adversely interrupted: I love the place, right down to the deck area. It's the perfect place to unwind, and once you're known there (thanks to Brian Flowers and his more than efficient staff), you are also spoiled rotten. The Tempura Asparagus Salad ($7 for those who seem to care about such things) is a staple of any visit for me there.

As to Doug's observations: Tater Tots, no matter how interestingly they are done, still reminded me of the cafeteria line at Lyndon School in the 60's, and I have and plan on avoiding them like the plague...if it's your thing, brava. Not mine. Smoking on the deck, give me a break. Every time that I've sat out there (and there have been many) there has been a nice breeze to quickly dissipate the ill effects. I have yet to be "fumed" by a fellow diner out there. As a non-smoker, believe it or not, I do respect the rights of those who wish to kill themselves but appreciate the ones more that are conscience of those around them.

For the nay sayers, I have this to offer: I love food, and I don't mind paying a little more for great food, fun atmosphere, excellent service, and a bit of history. My dear grandmother taught me when I was very young that you get what you pay for. She was so right, and that has gotten me more than penny pinching and bitching EVER will (stepping of soapbox now). :mrgreen:
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:02 am

Does anyone know when they are going to close for a week or so to complete renovations and change the name? We stopped in for a drink a few weeks ago and the bartender was telling us about the changes but I don't remember when she said this would happen.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:57 pm

Doug Davis wrote:
1. Duck fat tater tots. While it sounded amazing, taking regular store bought bland tasteless frozen tater tots and frying them in duck fat really doesnt add much to them. Even with the house made ketchup. Especially not at the price on the menu. Tater tots are become the 2014 version of last years brussel sprouts. They are everywhere. (Just saw them at O'Sheas tonight as well) But if you are going to do them, you damn well better make them in house. Otherwise dont bother.

Okay, this is a fair point, I was a little surprised to see commercially made tater tots on my plate - but on the other hand, they were timely, hot, correctly fried (and don't forget, in duck fat!) and the condiments were delicious. I was hungry and they hit the spot while we waited on the show-stoppers. Half the appeal was being able to say "duck fat tater tots" to my friends and social media acquaintances, so, mission accomplished. I wasn't even mad, and believe me I counted to make sure I got exactly half of them.
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:09 am

Marsha,

Im just waiting for a restaurant here in Louisville to try and mix tater tots, brussel sprouts and pork belly all into one dish. :lol:
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Sara R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:23 am

by Sara R » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:38 am

For what it's worth, I'm with Doug on the smoking thing. It completely ruins a meal for me. So, while I would love to check out the Brewery (and still plan to) it's now further down on my list of places to try.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:51 am

I was chatting with Brian Flowers, and they are planning on being "down" for a few days next week for renovations. They hope to be fully operational by next Wednesday, however, I'd call first.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.