Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Looking for Salt Rising Bread

by Terri Beam » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:15 pm

I've been on a quest to find salt rising bread for quite a few years. Back in the cretaceous period (i.e. when I was a kid), commercial bakeries made it, so it was on store shelves everywhere. Now? It's not to be found (apparently because the only company that made the starter went out of business).

Google led me to Plehn's. I'll check that one out next time I'm in the area, but are there any other bakeries around town that regularly offer salt rising bread?

I just have a hankering for the taste, and I like that healthy bacteria and microbes are used in the baking instead of just yeast or baking soda.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Looking for Salt Rising Bread

by JustinHammond » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:26 pm

http://www.heitzmanbakery.net/breads.html

Heitzman shows it on their menu.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Kari L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Sellersburg, IN

Re: Looking for Salt Rising Bread

by Kari L » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:35 pm

I used to eat a slice of it with freezer jam every morning when I would visit my grandparents in the summer, when I was a kid. And I am 31. And I'm pretty sure Kern's still had it in the grocery store in TN when I was in high school. My mom buys it at their farmer's market regularly, in East TN. I bet even if someone isn't making it regularly, they could if they knew there was demand. (Unfortunately I cannot help supply this demand, since my body has decided it is anti-wheat now.)