Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Restuarant Cleanliness

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Restuarant Cleanliness

by Kim H » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:42 pm

How do you approach a restaurant about their sanitation practices? We found a new ethnic place today for lunch (6 mos. in biz), and we really enjoyed the food and flavors. The plates, silverware, etc. - all things that were associated with the food seemed clean, as did the tables. But the linoleum floor looked dirty (didn't notice until after we ate), and the unisex bathroom was nothing short of disgusting. We both really enjoyed the cuisine and the service, and would like to go back. But after I saw the bathroom, in particular, I don't think I could. Is there a delicate way to approach this with the owner or manager? We'd really like to see them succeed.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Restuarant Cleanliness

by Doogy R » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:37 pm

This is easy. When you get back to your table and the wait person comes along, ask for the manager. Express your concerns in a mature and rational manner, than await their response. At this point you may encounter myriad replies. Whatever you do, DON'T get upset. Stay calm but make sure to stand your ground.

Best case scenario, it is addressed to your satisfaction. Worst case, they blow you off. What, more than likely will happen, is that they will say we'll take care of it and thanks for your concern. They may even comp some of your meal. After that, it's up to you to decide what to do. I hope this helps.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Mike M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:45 am

Jeffersonville

by Mike M » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:50 pm

Kim, if what you see is that disgusting, think about what you don't see, maybe I'm a little too obsessive, but when sanitation is not a priority to an eatery I can't enjoy my food hence no return.
Last edited by Mike M on Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:29 am

Unfortunately, with a bathroom, that usually doesn't have a lot to do with the people running a small place unless it is brought to their attention.

Now, I don't know what level of disgusting you are talking about, as I didn't see it. It is possible that it reached that level on that day by some funky customers. ;)

Just tell them and carry hand sanitizer with you next time if the food warranted a next time.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:58 pm

Well I think that whether it is a large place or a small place...The owners should check the Rest Rooms on a regular basis to be sure they are clean...
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:52 pm

I was curious what the responses would be to this. As a customer you guys really think we should confront the owners of the restaurant? I've told managers that the ladies room is out of toilet paper or paper towels, but to discuss the general level of cleanliness would be difficult for me, and I'm pretty mouthy. In all honesty, I'd probably file an anonymous complaint with the Health Dept and let their regular inspector handle it. Flame me if you must.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

I've been know to......

by Bill Veneman » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:53 pm

let the manager/owner know of my displeasure on occasion......I've also found that reporting to the health department is more trouble than it's worth......was on hold for ever.

Basically, if I discover that the place has a less than savory facility, I ususally just veto it with my wallet and go elsewhere for that kinda food.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Scott Schamel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

Louisville, KY

by Scott Schamel » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:05 am

As the owner of an area restaurant, I would appreciate and welcome ANY comments or concerns from my guests. Anything that affects my guests total dining experience affects me, and I would not like to lose a customer because of something as easy to fix as a dirty bathroom or dining room floor that could be taken care of promptly.