Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

ValuMarket - Kudos

no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

ValuMarket - Kudos

by Steve P » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:32 pm

I found myself down in the Hurstborne/Shelbyville Rd area today and had to kill some time waiting for my daughter to get out of a dentist appoint, so I stopped into Valumarket just to look around...I don't think I've -ever- been in a grocery store where the product was as organized or as well displayed in my life. Seriously, the aisle were picturesque...everything was front faced, well labeled and the product laid out in a logical fashion. Ya'll "inside the Watterson" folks are lucky to have such a place...I really-really wish we had a Valumarket out here in the hinterlands.

Anyway, just wanted to give the place a shout out for a job well done.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: ValuMarket - Kudos

by Jay M. » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:58 pm

Steve P wrote:... "inside the Watterson"....

Except that said grocery is "outside the Watterson" but "inside the Snyder". We ITW folks still need to keep the passport updated in order to visit,
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:27 am

This is a great store that's lost in a suburban landscape. Have to remember to stop in and not just drive by it grumbling about Hurstbourne/Shelbyville traffic.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:10 am

Valu in the Skid City Mall is way above the median, too, and the Valu in the South End international community at Iroquois Manor is truly awesome. Good local firm with a real commitment to community. They seem to tweak each shop to fit the neighborhood it's in, and it sounds like the Hurstbourne branch is as well manicured as a Lake Forest lawn. :lol:
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:25 am

Robin Garr wrote:sounds like the Hurstbourne branch is as well manicured as a Lake Forest lawn. :lol:

As a part time retail hack I know how hard it is to keep the product on your shelves displayed in an appealing manor. Based on appearance, this store could have passed a military inspection...it was truly impressive. The product line was also outstanding, I found several products/brands I've been unable to locate for years. Obviously I'm not going to hitch up the mules to the Conestoga and ride the 20 miles down there to do my weekly trading...but I -will- make a point of swinging by there when I find myself in the neighborhood. Nice store.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Valu in the Skid City Mall is way above the median, too, and the Valu in the South End international community at Iroquois Manor is truly awesome. Good local firm with a real commitment to community. They seem to tweak each shop to fit the neighborhood it's in, and it sounds like the Hurstbourne branch is as well manicured as a Lake Forest lawn. :lol:

More of a city of Hurstbourne Lawn.

I used to shop at that Valu, but I doubt anyone from Lake Forest does, too far away.

Is this like the famous New Yorker cover where the distance is distorted because its so far outside the Watterson? :lol:
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:31 pm

There's a ValuMarket in Mt. Washington. That's almost the hinterlands.
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:50 pm

I'm sure the one in Nahlbany might as well be in Kazakhstan.

I've never stepped foot in a VM, so I might have to give them a try.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:52 pm

Bill P wrote:I'm sure the one in Nahlbany might as well be in Kazakhstan.

Mmm, fermented yak milk! 8)
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:51 pm

These days, it also seems like ValuMarket also have a better selection of products than Kroger! Kroger stores keep getting bigger, but their selection of actual products keeps getting smaller. They have more and more storebrand items and it seemed like every time we look for something specific, they no longer carry it. Some examples I can cite are Green Giant canned vegetables, Smart Balance be a better, Cheese NIP crackers and the list goes on.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:23 am

Mark R. wrote:These days, it also seems like ValuMarket also have a better selection of products than Kroger! Kroger stores keep getting bigger, but their selection of actual products keeps getting smaller. They have more and more storebrand items and it seemed like every time we look for something specific, they no longer carry it. Some examples I can cite are Green Giant canned vegetables, Smart Balance be a better, Cheese NIP crackers and the list goes on.

Completely agree. I suspect that it has something to do with stocking/promoting the brands that pay the most for shelf space.
no avatar
User

Kari L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by Kari L » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:48 pm

Except that there isn't one in New Albany. ;)
no avatar
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:42 am

We have a VM on the Outer Loop closer to my area but I much prefer the one in the Iroquois neighborhood for the selection of international items they carry. As an added bonus I stop by the produce stand on Strawberry Lane and pick up some reasonably priced veggies while I am nearby
no avatar
User

Lisa Stephenson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Jeffersonville, IN

by Lisa Stephenson » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:46 am

There is no Value Market in New Albany....is there :?:
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:57 am

Lisa Stephenson wrote:

There is no Value Market in New Albany....is there :?:

Opps, brain flatulence on my part. I confused the Aldi's on Grant Line with a VM. Sorry.
Next