Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Jason H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Big Four Burgers and Beer: Dirty

by Jason H » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:27 am

I stopped by Big Four Burger and Beer Saturday evening for a drink with my girlfriend. We have never been before and probably will never go back (at least for a long while).

We went upstairs to the bar area and boy you could immediately notice how filthy it was. First our table had not been properly wiped off.

The ice bin for the servers is located next to the bar. They have it draining from a thin black tube into a bucket. This is in plain site. The bucket was filled completely to the top when we were there. When a server finally noticed he tried to move the bucket. Of course the water spilled onto the floor. That is just gross in and of itself. Next the server instead of getting a mop used his shoe to push the water towards the bar.

The ice that servers empty from dirty glassware is pored into a pasta strainer next to the ice bin. This is in plain site as well. anyone could see ice, lemons, straws, and wrappers just overflowing the strainer. It looked gross. Of course because of these issues the floor is dirty.

A server dropped an ice scoop on the floor. They did not pick it up. When someone picked it up they went behind the bar to presumably clean it. I am not sure that they cleaned it. Most places have extras in the back.

I could see from where I was sitting a corner shelf where servers would put the silver tray. The trays were piled up with some dished on them. They were in plain site and right next to the restroom.

Our server was nice, but does the whole pen in the hair trick. It may be cute for a tv show, but I don't know how clean your hair is. That was disgusting.

We ordered a couple of Bell's Oberon and they were too warm.

I am sorry because I really had an excitement about this place, but like I have said and heard before,
"If you can see the dirt just imagine what you can't see."

I just don't think this place would hold up well under an inspection now that it is open.

Maybe it will improve.

Part of me thinks they rushed to open and did not get everything properly completed. Most ice bins empty into a proper drain. I mean there a hole in the wall bars that are more organized and cleaner than this.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Big Four Burgers and Beer: Dirty

by RonnieD » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:24 pm

Jason H wrote:Our server was nice, but does the whole pen in the hair trick. It may be cute for a tv show, but I don't know how clean your hair is. That was disgusting.

I'm with you on all points, except this. I'm not sure I see the issue. Does the pen at some point go into or touch your food/plate? As long as the server washes her hands (not a guarantee based on your account, but still...) the pen in the hair really shouldn't impact the safety of your meal.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Brian R

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Big Four Burgers and Beer: Dirty

by Brian R » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:08 pm

Our family walked across the big four bridge father's day afternoon to Jeff for lunch. Red Yeti had a small wait so we opted to head down to Big Four Burgers. A short wait there too and we were quite thirsty so we opted to grab a couple sodas and a couple beers (Three Floyds Gumball Head, yum) from the upstairs bar while we waited outside. Bartender wasn't busy but rude and reluctant to serve. Our 9 y/o went to the bathroom and returned saying she couldn't go because the toilet seats were dirty. Wife took her in and helped. When the food came one of our plates had dried mustard on the side where the fries were. Not properly cleaned from a previous customer. Yuck. We didn't say anything and continued on. There was a leaky tub from the top deck that dripped down making us scoot our table over to avoid small drop splashes. Looked to be an unattended to beer tub from the previous night. Burger was raw in the middle even though requested medium well. Our server was friendly and prompt was the only positive. We are not ones to complain or raise a stink on site so we powered through but will not return anytime soon.

On a side note... As long as the establishments have known the ramp was going to open, even after many delays, on the Jeff side none of them seemed to be able accommodate many people at all. Caught off guard is what I saw. Plenty of room for growth over there. Love the small town feel!