Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Favorite pizza!

Arni’s
No votes
Bearno’s
3%
Boombozz
9%
Borromeo’s
No votes
California Pizza Kitchen
1%
Charlestown Pizza Co.
2%
Clifton’s
5%
Coals
13%
Danny Mac’s
2%
DiOrio
3%
Donisi
1%
Fat Jimmy’s
No votes
Jet’s
2%
Johnny Brusco’s
1%
Loui Loui’s
2%
Luigi’s
2%
Mellow Mushroom
3%
New Albanian Brewing/
3%
Old Chicago
2%
Old School NY
2%
Original Impellizeri’s
9%
Papa John’s
No votes
Papalino’s
13%
Perfetto
1%
Pizza Hut
1%
Pizza King
1%
Rocky’s
1%
Sicilians
1%
Spinelli’s
3%
Steve O's
1%
Tony Impellizzerri’s
1%
Uncle Maddio’s
2%
Vito’s
No votes
Wick’s
5%
Za’s
3%
Other (tell us about it!)
4%

Total votes : 174
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Poll: Favorite pizza!

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:37 am

Paul S wrote:FWIW, Cafe Lou Lou popped into my head as well. I did see your reasoning though.

Now that I think about it, the pizza there does give kind of a separate pizzeria vibe despite being in a restaurant. ...or at least more so than other restaurants that have pizza on the menu.

Yeah, it's a tough call, but basically, I decided to be arbitrary. :lol: Specifically in order to keep the list from getting ridiculously long. And of course, folks can always vote "Other" and call out their favorites in this discussion!
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:54 pm

I can see the difficulty, but in my mind any place like Garage Bar where pizza is the only entree on the menu and there's a $20K Italian pizza oven in the corner is a pizzeria. Whether or not it says so in the name.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:39 pm

Well, I had to be arbitrary, and here's what I decided: This poll is about pizzerias. I love the pizzas at Garage Bar, Cafe Lou Lou, Caffe Classico, and also Corner Cafe and the defunct Primo. But they're not in this poll because pizza dominateth the menu not, sayeth the cranky bartender at this low Internet saloon. :mrgreen:
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:34 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Well, I had to be arbitrary, and here's what I decided: This poll is about pizzerias. I love the pizzas at Garage Bar, Cafe Lou Lou, Caffe Classico, and also Corner Cafe and the defunct Primo. But they're not in this poll because pizza dominateth the menu not, sayeth the cranky bartender at this low Internet saloon. :mrgreen:

Sorry, but going to have to go with Jeff on this one. Pizza definitely dominates the Garage Bar menu, as much or more than some of the other local places. Coal's has lots more non-pizza items that GB.

http://www.garageonmarket.com/site/wp-c ... er8583.pdf
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:40 pm

And if you're going to leave Cafe Lou Lou off because it has sandwiches and pastas in addition to its 13 different pizzas, you probably should leave California Pizza Kitchen off the list too, with its soups, salads, sandwiches, pastas, and tacos.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:39 pm

Meh, I think the Food Dude did a good job of getting the major players on the list...We could argue 'til the cows come home as to a few others who should (or perhaps should not) have made "the cut' but overall it's a good list.

BTW, I'm the guy who voted for "Old Chicago"...Ya'll should give their "Tavern Style" crust a try, it's rock star. Glad to see Coals leading the pack, it's still my personal favorite in town...can't wait until the Middletown location opens and it's a bit more convenient for me to get to.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:45 pm

Garage Bar is a pizza joint. Almost every table in the place has a pizza on it.

Garage Bar | Wood-fired pizzas and craft beers | Louisville, KY
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:02 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Garage Bar is a pizza joint. Almost every table in the place has a pizza on it.

Maybe, but do they still have the row of hams hanging from the rafters? :mrgreen:

I just don't know how many other ways there are to say this: I listed about 40 places that I considered pizza-dominant. I did it on the fly, so I assumed there would be differences of opinion. So I added "Other" specifically so folks could nominate, well, other places. 8)
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:32 pm

I've been looking at several of the restaurants on the list that I haven't heard about before. One that looks somewhat intriguing is the Old School New York pizza. At least the pictures look good and the pricing seems reasonable, yelp reviews are very positive but you can only trust them so far. I was just wondering if anybody here have tried them and what I thought about it! Obviously somebody has tried them because they got a vote.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:13 am

Mark, it wasn't my "Top 5" vote, but we went out there recently, and I'll have a Voice-Tribune review coming out this week. It's a bright and clean place with New York street-corner pizza, 18-inch pies and slices and calzones only, plus their own decent gelato. Like the "Original Ray's" that you'll see on just about every street corner in Gotham, it's a good pie in a favorite style. Not Coals or Papalino's, but definitely fills a hungry space when I'm craving NYC pie. Plus, the friendly wisecracking Brooklyn guys behind the counter are a definite plus. And they have kids-make-your-own pizza on Tuesday night, an event that some grownups might choose to miss but that strikes me as a nice gesture. Good place. If you crave a big foldable slice, it's worth a try, although a little far out in the 'burbs to be in the regular rotation for me.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:12 am

JustinHammond wrote:Garage Bar is a pizza joint. Almost every table in the place has a pizza on it.

I'd agree with that. When we venture to Garage Bar, it's usually only because of the pizza, which, as you've said, tends to be on just about every single table :D
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:57 am

Robin, thanks for the information, looks like a place we need to try! Actually we don't even need a passport to get there.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve Andriot

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:31 pm

by Steve Andriot » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:22 pm

I doubt it will effect the voting much, but I believe Vito's has closed.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:51 pm

Yes Vito's is gone. I saw a sign for whatever ic coming next, but do not remember what it is. Old age... :wink:
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:07 pm

Old School NY is our new favorite place. Yes, we are NY'ers, so just hearing a Brooklyn accent was reason enough for us to go, but the truly simple NY slice is the reason we keep going back. Also missing from the list is our local "go-to" home away from home - Johnny V's in J-town. They get my meatball & mushroom pizza perfect every time. <3 me some Johnny V's!
PreviousNext