Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Sal's Pizza Pub in Lyndon. Has anyone ever been?

by Robin Garr » Fri May 30, 2014 10:27 am

Did anyone ever actually go to this place? A discussion about it at the time of its opening fizzled out without any reports ...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16488&p=127763

... and it never came up on the forum again until a post over a year ago that the owner wanted to retire and sell it as an operating business ...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20478&p=153859&hilit=+pizza+pub+#p153859

Reason I ask, we drove by there around twilight recently, the lights were on, and it looked kind of inviting. Has anyone ever actually eaten there?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Sal's Pizza Pub in Lyndon. Has anyone ever been?

by Mark R. » Fri May 30, 2014 12:18 pm

We went there couple years ago and were less than impressed. The atmosphere was basically a bar that served food, something that some people look for but not us. Also, like in many bars most of the people there seem to know each other because they were there all the time. The food was okay but nothing stellar nor was the service. Because of our 1st experience we haven't been back, there are too many other choices in town that we like.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Fri May 30, 2014 5:42 pm

I live in the area. Awful food. Awful.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri May 30, 2014 5:59 pm

Stopped in once after having dinner at Hi Chi Wa Wa....just to check the place out...It reeked of fried fish cooked in old grease. Personally I wouldn't THINK about going back.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:41 am

It used to be one of my family members' favorite places, so I've been there at least a dozen times. The most I can say for it is if you are really hungry and enjoy eating a LOT of food, it's a place to consider. An order of breadsticks would fill up 2 normal human stomachs. The pizza, depending on the day, can run from pretty good to horrendous, but, like everything else, comes in gigantic portions. Might have been a function of frequency, but the staff was always very attentive, though.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:05 pm

Sorry to say I went to Sal's last night for what I had been told was one of the better fried fish sandwich's in town.

OMG...woke up at 4:30 am (sorry to be graphic)...to vomiting and diarrhea. It is now 2:00 p.m. on Sunday afternoon and the total is 7 upchucks and 5 trips to the bathroom.

I don't know if it was the fish, tarter sauce. or slaw, but I got hit HARD!

Just thought you would want to know.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:29 pm

I've told a few friend about my episode...they asked me if I called the restaurant. I have not...I'm thinking it might be the thing to do, if they can find the culprit...I don't want any comps., etc...don't think I will ever go back, because I will never get this out of my mind!

What's the proper approach?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:57 pm

In my opinion you should definitely contact the restaurant. If nothing else is good information for them to have and it may even help them track down what the problem was if other people also became sick that evening. I know you said you don't want anything to be comped but I think in a case like this they probably should comp you out of common courtesy.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Definitely call. Good owners want to know and will track the problem down and solve it. Not reporting it can put other diners at risk. If you don't feel comfortable contacting the restaurant, you can contact the Health Department and let them investigate it.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 pm

My brother and his girlfriend are big on fried fish and they told us about this place a couple years ago.

We are far from "regulars" but get by there once every few months and have always found their fish excellent - well-prepared and generous in quantity. We have never had any problem with quality.

It is a bar-type environment, with no ambience. There is usually only one server (often also the bartender) so service can be slow.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:20 pm

For those who may be wondering...I did call Sal's today and informed the female who answered the phone of the food poisoning...she was conciliatory and did want to send me a free meal ticket (which I did not accept). I asked her to make sure the appropriate personnel knew what I had eaten, and hopefully they could find the offending item(s).