Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Taj Disappointment

no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Taj Disappointment

by Kim H » Thu May 29, 2014 1:05 am

It's late, so this will be short, but wondering if others have had disappointing experiences at Taj Palace recently? We ordered take out as they're close, and I'm playing lazy cook rather well. Hubby's Lamb Saag pleased him, and what I tasted met my expectations. All is good. But I ordered Chicken Tikka Kabob as I was wanting something more simple, and have been pleased with it in the past. The chicken itself was good, but it was served in a container on top of MUSHED onions. Apparently sauteed, but not in a friendly way, and with some scoops of white sugar. Gross. In all my Indian experiences, the tandor options that come with onion have had grilled onions, from the tandor. Have you? This was gross to me, disappointing, and made me wonder about what else is going on back there for this complete cheap. Hubby said there were few seats sat while he was waiting, which could be weather or time (8:20 on Wed). I will call tomorrow, as I discovered this after closing, but wondered if.others have noticed a decline in quality. We love, esp due.to proximity, but not if they're going to short cut. (Ok, not that short)
no avatar
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

Re: Taj Disappointment

by Paul S » Thu May 29, 2014 8:21 am

Never been... but if you're looking to try some place new, you should consider Little India Cafe. I've had good experiences there.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 29, 2014 8:45 am

Kim, we must be neighbors! My workplace, when I have one of my several career hats on, is right around the corner from Taj, and we go there fairly often. I'm a little puzzled by this, as I can't testify to any horrors like it. A group of us had a great lunch from the buffet just the other day and found nothing to complain about. I wouldn't rank it quite up with Bombay Grill or DakShin, but it's definitely solid Indian, and I'm glad it's in the neighborhood.

I would definitely give it one more try before giving up hope.
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Thu May 29, 2014 1:41 pm

Agree with the above 100%...we love Taj.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu May 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Kim, we must be neighbors!

Howdy Neighbor! I spent most of my Louisville life in the Highlands, so this was an adjustment, but it's pretty convenient, and the restaurant selections are definitely improving!

I received a response from Taj after a non-productive phone call around 2pm today, and they were very nice. Turns out they did change the way they serve the onions with their Tandoor entrees, but you can request the grilled onions instead. I would completely recommend that! But it's a matter of taste. I feared that we ordered too late, and they didn't want to bother with the grilled onions, which it sounds like was not the case. So happy, as they are close, good, and INDIAN which we love!! Thanks, Rani!! :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 29, 2014 4:32 pm

Great follow-up, Kim, and thanks for going to the trouble to track down Page Two!

I still live in Crescent Hill, but I have my Westport Road green card now for Thursday and Sunday work hours. :lol:
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu May 29, 2014 6:33 pm

I knew you still lived in Crescent Hill, and saw you mention being out this way a time or two in different posts, but didn't realize you were that close!

Yeah, Taj ultimately handled it beautifully (but I never want that style onion again!)
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 am

Robin Garr wrote:Kim, we must be neighbors! My workplace, when I have one of my several career hats on, is right around the corner from Taj, and we go there fairly often. I'm a little puzzled by this, as I can't testify to any horrors like it. A group of us had a great lunch from the buffet just the other day and found nothing to complain about. I wouldn't rank it quite up with Bombay Grill or DakShin, but it's definitely solid Indian, and I'm glad it's in the neighborhood.

I would definitely give it one more try before giving up hope.

Glad this got sorted out. We've had pretty solid experiences at Taj. Not quite in the highest rank of local Indian food, but very reliable.