Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Anniversary Dinner

no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

Anniversary Dinner

by Charles W. » Wed May 28, 2014 12:29 pm

With some work, I should be able to do this myself, but I thought I'd go the easy route:

Anniversary dinner Thursday night. What are some new places in the past couple of years that are good/interesting, nice, but not at the top end--comfortable. All kinds of food are good. So, not looking for the Silver Dollar or Corbett's. Make sense?
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Anniversary Dinner

by JustinHammond » Wed May 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Milkwood, The Place Downstairs
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed May 28, 2014 12:50 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Milkwood, The Place Downstairs

A couple of great choices. I was thinking about the Place Downstairs when I 1st read the post. You can also go the traditional route and go to the Oakroom or the English Grille, obviously not new but always a great meal!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 28, 2014 12:58 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Milkwood, The Place Downstairs

I think Justin nailed it in two. I've also been partial to Rye and St Charles Exchange lately. Seviche is always a treat. Wiltshire on Market. And don't forget the Sunny Side, including but not limited to Feast BBQ and The Exchange Pub + Kitchen. Just to name a few ...
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed May 28, 2014 2:11 pm

I emailed my wife the link the The Place Downstair's Facebook menu, and she has informed me that she has already made reservations.

Thanks to all.

p.s. The irony is that I really, want to go to Mussel and Burger Bar and haven't made it there yet, but that is not an attractive restaurant to her. I may have to go alone or with a friend.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 28, 2014 3:28 pm

Charles W. wrote:p.s. The irony is that I really, want to go to Mussel and Burger Bar and haven't made it there yet, but that is not an attractive restaurant to her. I may have to go alone or with a friend.

I like M&BB, but in my opinion, Downstairs blows it away.
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed May 28, 2014 4:13 pm

From the descriptions I've read here of The Place Downstairs, it didn't sound all that much more affordable than Corbett's. No?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 28, 2014 4:29 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:From the descriptions I've read here of The Place Downstairs, it didn't sound all that much more affordable than Corbett's. No?

Well, we spend about $100 (including tip) for two, but it's memorable and really worth it. In my mind's eye, I'm thinking it's on a price par with MilkWood, which has also been mentioned. Not cheap, but memorable.

Looking at the menu on Open Table, entrees are in the $20s, but small plates (not that small) are in the middle teens, and the "jars," which are very rich, are mostly $9.

Menu:
http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile_m ... 9556&tab=1

My review:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/no-i- ... downstairs