Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Industry Standard: Small distinction, big difference

by Robin Garr » Wed May 28, 2014 11:36 am

Industry Standard: Insider info for those who dine out

Small distinction, big difference

By Marsha Lynch

My long-suffering fiancé and I, peckish on the day after Derby, decided to try a hip new-ish spot. It's not so new that they shouldn't be on point already, but still new enough that most folks we know hadn't been there yet.

We didn't make a reservation. But in light of what transpired, I'm gonna say it again: Always make a reservation. Even if you just call in on the way there. Even if you're sure they'll have plenty of seating, let them know you're coming. Even a last-minute reservation ensures an assigned table and an assigned server who'll know you're coming. They'll have menus ready, flatware on the table and some idea of how your party will fit in with the serving rhythm of their other parties.

We arrived unannounced. The hostess, without eye contact, says, "Can you give me a minute, please?" Sure we can. It did take only a few moments to confer with a manager, not nearly long enough to require an excuse. "Welcome, I'll be right with you!" would have been perfect, but "Can you give me a minute, please?" makes me feel that I am pressuring you unnecessarily. Which we weren't.

Anyway, we were shown to our seats. (Worst table in the restaurant, but to be fair, this is partly our fault for not making reservations.) The tiny table was scrunched up against a divider, so we couldn't see the rest of the room.

Then came the first contact with our server: "I'm gonna need you to give me a minute, guys." No welcome, no "Hi-my-name-is," just a negative right off the bat: You're going to have to wait. In fact, he was back in a flash, maybe three minutes. So again, there was no need to go negative. Smile, welcome us, say you'll be with us soon.

Now we've been inside the restaurant probably six minutes. We're seated and our server has acknowledged us. What's my problem? Two quick unnecessarily negative encounters with staff.

The server presents the menus and beer list. We look around and decide they've done a great job with the ambience. The music is neither mind-numbing nor loudly distracting. Menu items seem to be spelled correctly.

Our server is back to take our drink order. "Hey guys! How we doing up here?" Ugh. I'm OK with saying "guys" or "ladies" to a large group, but if there are just two of us, a couple, we're not "guys." And the two of us are not "we" - which seems to include you. You are not dining with us. There are us, the diners, and there is you, the guy who's hopefully going to bring us our food later. I'd be OK with this verbal presumptuousness once, but our server sinned repeatedly time after time, coming to the table with "Hey, guys, how we doin'?" I think this style of service is called "Late Smarmy."

John asked about the "local craft offering" on the beer list. Our server said, "Actually, it's not local, it's made by a guy the owner knows from somewhere." John ordered this beer just to see what the heck it was.

The drinks were served promptly. Our order was taken promptly and served well within my stringent ticket-time expectations. So, in the end, the place looked and smelled great, our wait time for a table and our food was well within reason, and the beverages were awesome. Our table was weak sauce as far as placement goes, but we didn't have a reservation, and that's fair game. We tipped our server 20 percent plus whatever the roundup to the next $5 was, because he made no technical mistakes.

And yet, like the service at another restaurant we went to recently wherein the server said "Awesome" at the end of every interaction - it just felt a little off. Just a couple of things - change of wording, mostly - could have elevated both experiences leaps and bounds.

At check time, the server said, "I assume two checks." Fail. Yes, the LSF is a bit younger and better looking than me, but never assume. I would have been fine with "One check or two?"

It's the little things, servers. And they can be so little, but so important.

Marsha Lynch has worked at many Louisville independent restaurants including Limestone, Jack Fry's, Jarfi's, L&N Wine Bar and Bistro and Café Lou Lou.

Read it on LouisvilleHotBytes:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/small ... difference

and in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/dining/industr ... ine-out-63
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

Re: Industry Standard: Small distinction, big difference

by Rob Coffey » Wed May 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
John asked about the "local craft offering" on the beer list. Our server said, "Actually, it's not local, it's made by a guy the owner knows from somewhere." John ordered this beer just to see what the heck it was.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Dont leave us hanging!
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed May 28, 2014 1:00 pm

While maybe not as picky as Marsha ("We" is not a deal breaker, it's casual and colloquial), I agree wholeheartedly. In fast casual, I am constantly teaching the difference between "how can I help you," or "what I can get for you today," and "Whadda ya want?"

It's amazing that common courtesy is no longer common and polite speech has given way to more colorful colloquialism.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed May 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Dont leave us hanging!

It was "Oskar Blues Old Chub". The part where he loved it got edited out :shock:
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Was that my edit (to get you down to the word count) or LEO's edit (for Gawd knows why)?
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Wed May 28, 2014 5:13 pm

Marsha L. wrote:
Rob Coffey wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

Dont leave us hanging!

It was "Oskar Blues Old Chub". The part where he loved it got edited out :shock:

It is very good. Cant disagree with that. Funny story about them: a liquor store employee saw me looking at some Oskar Blues cans and said something like, "We just started carrying them, they are from North Carolina." Ummm...no, from Colorado, but they just built and East Coast brewery in NC, so yeah, we are getting cans from there.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed May 28, 2014 5:15 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Was that my edit (to get you down to the word count) or LEO's edit (for Gawd knows why)?

Not your edit. Sadly, I think my limit is 750, not 800 - but since you said 800 I thought maybe you knew something I don't know :lol:
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed May 28, 2014 5:26 pm

Great article as usual Marsha! I think in general what you saw is something most of us are seeing in local restaurants, the wait staff is becoming less and less professional about how they treat the customers. Even though they may do the service side of things reasonably well it seems like they are trying to become your friend instead of a server. Not sure if they think by doing this they will get a bigger tip or what? As you said so eloquently it gets very frustrating at times.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 28, 2014 6:05 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Not your edit. Sadly, I think my limit is 750, not 800 - but since you said 800 I thought maybe you knew something I don't know :lol:

Hmm. I did think it was 800. Maybe it depends on each week, and they sometimes have to crank it down? Ohwell. You're a good writer, Marsha, but the demands of the print media are inflexible. You can add a few lines on the Internet, but not on paper. :P

Anyway, a good editor can usually take 10 percent out of a story without the writer noticing. ;)
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Thu May 29, 2014 1:23 am

The article is spot on... to a point. Verbiage is important, no doubt about it. But it depends on the level of dining as to what level of verbiage you should expect.

Just as I wouldn't expect to hear "Hey guys, how we doin'" in fine dining, I also wouldn't expect to hear "Madam, would you care for an aperitif?" out of a Chili's server.

And really there's not that much wrong with it. I'm almost disappointed if my Waffle House waitress doesn't greet me with a "What can I get for ya hon?", as she chomps her gum and scratches her ass. It's part of the charm.

But in classier venues servers are taught to watch their verbiage. There is no excuse for over familiarity or slang. No one is ever going to tell the Waffle House waitress she can't say y'all.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu May 29, 2014 12:03 pm

Mark R. wrote: the wait staff is becoming less and less professional about how they treat the customers. Even though they may do the service side of things reasonably well it seems like they are trying to become your friend instead of a server.

Amen. Because we're the customer, we're not better than the server, but we are the customer. The casual conversation just seems inappropriate.