Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Discussion of Robin Garr's Thai Noodles review

by Robin Garr » Fri May 23, 2014 9:56 am

Celebrate the Noble Noodle at Thai Noodles
Voice-Tribune review by Robin Garr

Celebrate The Noble Noodle at Thai Noodles

Life as a hunter-gatherer was hard, no question about that. As the philosopher Thomas Hobbes famously put it, this life was "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short." But at least paleolithic humans didn't have to make many decisions at supper time. Knock over an animal, whack off a chunk and chow down. Cooking it was optional, once people learned to tame fire.

It was only when humans settled down in agricultural societies about 10,000 years ago that culinary life got complicated.

You don't need technology to pick a low-hanging apple from a tree and eat it. You don't even have to peel the thing. But once we started growing grains like wheat and barley in organized farm rows, we had to figure out what to do with them. Nibbling a row of raw grains from a stalk of wheat simply doesn't satisfy.

No, it took creative thinking to come up with the idea of grinding wheat grains into flour, mixing them with water, pounding the dough flat and cooking it over fire or hot rocks to make flatbread. When humans finally discovered the art of fermentation, opening the way to both fluffy loaves and adult beverages, we must have thought we'd come about as far as we could go.

Before long (in archaeological terms) bread and beer had spread across the Western world, from the fertile crescent into Europe, Africa and even Northern India.

In Asia, however early humans, with plenty of rice on hand, went down an entirely different path with wheat: mill flour, mix it with water, pat it flat, and then ... cut it into long, narrow strips. Behold, pasta was born!

Sure, Marco Polo (or, more likely, some nameless earlier trader) brought the noble noodle back to Italy, which made pasta famous in the West. But the noodle's native home is East Asia, and you'll find these tasty treats in every Asian cuisine.

To celebrate the hegemony of the Asian noodle, we made our way out to Thai Noodle on Preston Highway. ...

Read my full review on LouisvilleHotBytes.com:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/celeb ... ai-noodles
and in the Voice-Tribune:
http://www.voice-tribune.com/life-style ... i-noodles/

Thai Noodles Restaurant
5800 Preston Hwy.
961-9018
http://facebook.com/ThaiNoodles
Robin Garr's rating: 84 points
no avatar
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Discussion of Robin Garr's Thai Noodles review

by Ron H » Fri May 23, 2014 1:41 pm

I'm a big fan of the new ownership, and I love their daily specials menu. One of my favorites is their sriracha noodles which comes up on the special board occasionally, and pad kee mow made with lo mein noodles. A lunch portion (with a spring roll on the side) is just about $9, making it a GREAT deal.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Discussion of Robin Garr's Thai Noodles review

by Robin Garr » Fri May 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Ron H wrote: sriracha noodles

I would definitely go back for that. :mrgreen: